Tree hugger that I am...

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to work in Whiteside County, Illinois. Know that area well, its up north where we grow vegetables to feed humans. It actually qualifies as "rolling prairies. I grew up in Central Illinois where its table-top flat and where all the corn you can see ends up being fed to our food.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I grew up in Freeport on the eastern edge. Did undergrad at UW-Platteville. The Driftless Region has always been a part of my life

What's interesting is how my wife and I thought we'd move a few miles west to be in it but then did math on commute vs recreation time. The trail head I'm responsible for a mile west has been on the map for driftless all my life but my new partner trail steward is a geology professor. He reminds how we still see glacier poop in that map.

If you follow this gulley in Black Earth Creek watershed where by most maps is driftless area, you see the mixed rock types. By the time you get to Cross Plains not. It has kept me curious and wishing I could explore some private property and know where the real line for driftless is.

It's totally from trout fishing and bike riding but even in the car yesterday I'm almost always thinking about which enters the Mississippi watershed I'm in. As said in that historical fiction post, when I travel along Military Ridge I think about all who travelled there long before trains.

I think of your side of the river a lot because I said no to a job in Dubuque months before I met my wife - a how different past decades might have been.

YJKQowS.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I used to work in Whiteside County, Illinois. Know that area well, its up north where we grow vegetables to feed humans. It actually qualifies as "rolling prairies. I grew up in Central Illinois where its table-top flat and where all the corn you can see ends up being fed to our food.

Funny to say "up north" because our cabin neighbors from IL also consider WI Highway 10 where "up north" really begins. Others say it is crossing a Paducah or Cairo bridge, above I 70 or Quad Cities. I know there've been bar fights over US, 10, 8 or 2 making you north.

My wife grew up suffering horribly long trips because her dad would follow historically significant highways and contemplate where they really were after the Interstates were how most travelled. My dad did Interstates and would remind we didn't have the overdrive like the 1930s cars.

Wallo Tweed

Friend of Leo's
We have lots of bee balm and butterfly bushes among other plants to attract pollinators and really enjoy watching and photographing them.

Something that was sourced from Habitats Forever. I don’t know the exact mix but it is heavy on milkweeds

I know that milkweed attracts butterflies, but it is very invassive. A few years ago my wife talked me into planting a few. Now we have it all over, and it's tough to remove.

We I was a youngster we often spent rainy Saturdays pulling it in the meadows. And all we wanted to do on a rainy Saturday was watch cartoons!

Last edited:

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
We are 1/2 mile away from and 300’ above the Mississippi. In the “drift less region”. It was missed by the last glacial advance. Land wasn’t bulldozed flat like most of the Midwest.

In another life, long ago and far away, I hitched through your general AO (Waterloo / Cedar Falls > Rochester) on one of my longer trips. Beautiful country, nice people. Good luck with your planting!

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
KUDOS!! Are you able to expand that wet spot by the woods (by the tractor bucket)? That would give you an even better mix of species. Also, consider planting a few clumps of flowering fruit trees here and there.

That dark spot by the tractor bucket is a weedy patch that is too steep to cultivate. (rollover area)

Much of the seed that went in needs to winter-over before it can germinate. Very few flowers this year.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
That dark spot by the tractor bucket is a weedy patch that is too steep to cultivate. (rollover area)

Much of the seed that went in needs to winter-over before it can germinate. Very few flowers this year.

The tilling will unfortunately also uncover many unwanted grass and weed seeds. May want to hold back some wildflower seed for an over-seeding in a year or two - perhaps a mix containing only your desired pollinator species.
I have been doing the same thing for about 20 years, but on a postage stamp. My biggest problem is poor soil and excess shade.

Good luck and keep us posted!