Treble Boosters

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I'm glad @drmordo brought up using an EQ pedal as a boost. A lot of guitar players haven't tried one as a boost yet and they work great for that. One of my bandmates gave me a tip about using a Boss GEB-7 pedal, the bass version of Boss's EQ pedal instead of the Boss GE-7 which is the regular guitar EQ pedal. I've tried both pedals for boost as well as EQ, and I like the GE-7 a lot but actually the bass GEB-7 sounds a little better to my ears. YMMV

View attachment 1020044

For the specific purpose of replacing a treble booster, I'd recommend sticking with the GE-7. The GE-7 freqs line up better with electric guitar.

The bass version goes from 800 straight to 4.5k, while the guitar version goes 800 - 1.6k - 3.2k which are all potentially useful freqs for boosting.

FWIW, I set my pedal up much like this, but may tweak the center freq of the curve to 800 if I want the Van Halen thing or 1.6k if I want the Rangemaster thing.

evh eq pedal.PNG

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
For the specific purpose of replacing a treble booster, I'd recommend sticking with the GE-7. The GE-7 freqs line up better with electric guitar.

The bass version goes from 800 straight to 4.5k, while the guitar version goes 800 - 1.6k - 3.2k which are all potentially useful freqs for boosting.

FWIW, I set my pedal up much like this, but may tweak the center freq of the curve to 800 if I want the Van Halen thing or 1.6k if I want the Rangemaster thing.

View attachment 1020047
You may want to investigate parametric EQs as an alternative to graphics, as they will let you target precise frequencies, instead of being kind of stuck with the fixed ones that graphics have.

In particular, it looks like there are now a few different pedal format parametrics that have two bands dedicated to parametric mids, which is just about perfect for guitar, IMO.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Don't forget alternating up & down sliders in the mids, there are some cool special tones to be had in the notches between boosts, even some elusive familiar sounds that aren't easily replicated with other effects. For instance, some Beatles & Stones & others' tones from the 60's - I Feel Fine, Street Fighting Man, Friday On My Mind, etc. Yeah, all that Boomer stuff...

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
My guitar tech eschews treble boosters with the exception of Telecasters and some Strats. Not for HBs or P90s.
Also, most amps come with special little knobs for treble, mid, and bass - try 'em! Could be habit-forming. 🤪

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I plan to use the term “woof shaver” at my earliest convenience. Actual LOL!

ONE NIGHT ONLY
IT'S THE LAST GASP REUNION TOUR
WOOF SHAVER
with special guests
PEACH FURY
and
GEEZER FIGHT!!!
Come early so we can all get our meds and get to bed by 8.
This has been another hi-fi TDPRI Johnny production.
(Available in Stereophonic Sound in most jurisdictions).

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I went on a bit of a tear building Treble Boosts/clean boosts. The D*A*M Red Rooster, Naga Viper, Keely Katana and this:

Radian from Aion.

I use these with a PR and a Blackface Deluxe - I find them all are very usable and different enough to have a couple versions. The Radian from Aion is super flexible, the Red Rooster is subtle, but not quite like anything else.

Not sure they're for everyone, but before/after an OD/another boost you can get some crunchy goodness.

m.
The Radian from Aion is awesome! I scored a saucer style OC44 for mine, the charge pump makes it play nice with everything and it pushes my amps into overdrive. If I were to sell all my effects I'd still keep that box, it sounds great and came out pretty cool too OldGold_Gutshot.jpg OldGold_top.jpg