Treble booster into a tweed.....yeah or nay?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 26, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I saw a used boutique treble booster today and didn't think much of it. I have the need for tweed and don't really do the Vox thing, which is where I have seen treble boosters used the most.

Wondering if anyone uses a treble booster into a tweed amp and their thoughts on the sound.

Thanks,
    BHM

2. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

A treble booster into a tweed is the most addictive set up you can have, and makes it nearly impossible to put your guitar down.

I was a “plug straight in to a tweed guy” for 45 years, and tried over a hundred pedals without liking any of them.

Then I tried an Analogman Beano. Holy cow!

Edit: Check out the story in my thread, “Beano, Where Have You Been All My Life?”

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Post a link for us, please, H. Mac?

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I built a Dallas Rangemaster clone and run it into my Li'l Dawg D-Luxe and haven't turned it off since I put it on my board.

5. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

As above...... treble booster into tweed is glorious

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup.
    Turn that Deluxe way up until it gets all wooly (guitar volume must be on 10), then kick on the treble boost and those notes will cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter.

7. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

The king of TBs thought they were a good match, hell of an endorsement in my book.

aad5ae8a7ee4080059465c13ad4d86ff.jpg

8. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

Yes. It will rule. Duh.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Between this and the Diaz Texas Ranger thread, y'all are gonna make me end up building something treble booster'ish to go with my 5E3 clone...

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. bluesholyman

Yeah, I fear for my wallet at this point....

11. Seds

Seds TDPRI Member

Crank the treble booster and roll off your guitar volume for some amazing cleans/edge of breakup.

I built a tweed 5f2a and this combo might be my favorite of all

bluesholyman and EsquireBoy like this.
  12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Whatever you like man. The world is full of people trying to be or sound like someone else. If it sounds good to you then go nuts!

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, but Rory is running it into a Bassman 5F6 which is a rather dark amp. I never understood treble boosters into a bright trebly, jangly amp like a Vox. But I've never tried it either.

14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

A vox isn't really a bright trebly, jangly amp... it doesn't have to be anyway, unless you are playing a Rickenbacker though it. An Ac30 can be as warm, fat and crunchy as anything. It's also stupidly loud, so you use a TB to get some overdrive that isn't going to flub out the bottom end, kind of like how you would use a TS to push an amp and tighten the lows up, but without the mids of the TS.

One of the best guitar tones local to me is a guy that uses a 335 into a AC30 with a Treble Boost, it's one of the best rock rhythm tones I've ever heard.

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

This

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  16. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I've used a MonsterDrive (Rangemaster clone) into my AC30, playing a no-name V with SD Seth Lovers.
    It's one of the best lead tones I've ever had- and rolling back the volume cleans it up nicely.
    Huge differences in gain with small movements of the controls- everything from a slight break up to full-on Brian May madness.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Definitely recommended. I have a Catalinbread naga viper into a 5E3 and it’s fantastic. Games the tubby low end of the amp and focuses everything.

18. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

As two other posters have already established, a non top-boost VOX is quite dark. Plug into the Normal channel and you will be scratching your head and wondering if you are really playing a VOX amp. It will sound exactly the opposite of how you think.

Treble Boosters are cool! I have the Analogman Beano Boost too.

PCollen and artdecade like this.
  19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

In regards to Rory and the treble booster, this isn't about the amp being dark or bright. A treble booster doesn't just boost treble - it is a misnamed pedal if there ever was one. Rory used the normal channel of a Vox being run at full tilt. When a Vox is cranked like this, the bottom end turns into absolute mush and mid-range can get honky. The treble booster was designed to restore some of the highs, but it is also acting as a bass cut. This makes the tone have a singing upper-mid quality - as in Rory and his acolyte, Brian May.

I don't care for treble boosters into bright amps and I really don't care for them into clean amps. I think they can work with a Tweed as long as you are cranking them with a 12 or 15 speaker, but I don't think cutting lows on a 8 (Champ) or 10 will sound as nice as they may get honky.

Try one and see how you like it!

EDIT: Also, by the time that Rory moved to a mix of Vox and Tweed amps or the Marshall and Tweed amps, he was using a bit more of a full-range booster, called the Hawk. It hads loads more volume on tap and pummeled the preamps.

PCollen and bluesholyman like this.
  20. bluesholyman

I pulled the trigger on a Colour Boost - indeed it is truly glorious into a tweed...

High Head Brad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.