1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Treble-Bleed Circuit for HS Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PJ55, Jun 16, 2013.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK...I have this great new build complete and it sounds great with the two 500k pots maxed-out. But, reduce the volume and the highs disappear. Can anyone help with a capacitor set-up for a pretty straight-up Hot Rod Mini-hum - single-coil set-up? Thanks guys.

2. PJ55

Thanks Pete...not sure why I didn't look there since I used Seymour's wiring diagram for the wiring. Shame that resistor circuit wasn't on the diagram I used.

3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I would do the 50's mod before adding a treble bleed.

4. PJ55

TNO...can you give me some details on the "50s Mod?" Thanks.

5. PJ55

OK...so I keep the .047 cap at the tone pot and add Seymour's circuit at the volume pot?
    Seems logical.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

7. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

When folks dislike the results of a treble bleed circuit, it's usually because the cap value was too big, or they used no series resistor for the cap, or the parallel resistor was too small. You end up with a thin, tinny sound when turned down. Different problem, just as bad as the one you are trying to solve.

I use 470pF in SERIES with 180k ohm (w/250k controls), up to 330k ohm for 500k pots. The larger the resistor, the less effect the cap has. The larger the cap, the more upper-mids get through. Too big a cap, and too small a series resistor (or none at all) leads to the excessive bass-cutting effect of the volume control which turns off so many of us to treble-bleed circuits.

One advantage of the 50's wiring is that it is dead simple. Another is that its effect is subtle. One disadvantage is that the tone control has less effect at lower volume settings. If you turn down your tone control, then move your volume control up and down, the tone changes (it becomes darker at full volume). At least, that's been my experience. It may not always be like that, depending on pickup type, control values, cable capacitance, first effect or amp input impedance, etc.

I recommend players try the 50's wiring first. If it solves your problem, you're done. If you need more treble at lower volume settings, try a series treble-bypass circuit with the values I mention above before trying just a cap, or a parallel circuit. I find both of those schemes to be too radical in tone change, and they screw up the taper of the volume pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.