Treble bleed and tone mod.. degree of difficulty

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by burntfrijoles, Aug 21, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

i want to add treble bleed to my Tele’s and would like to have tone control for the bridge Strat position.

How difficult is each of those to do? What is involved.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

"Google".
    It's all the rage with the kids nowadays.

Tonetele, JuneauMike and Zepfan like this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

These are great beginner mods.

Tutorial videos online are a good recommendation. Don’t skip trying to understand the schematic and how/why they work. Easier to solve issues or diagnose problems.

Tonetele likes this.
  4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Degree of difficulty = low. Really low.

Just make sure you learn how to solder first. That's pretty much the only place these mods can go seriously off track.

Tonetele likes this.
  5. Danny D

Danny D TDPRI Member

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    For real?

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The 1967 Tele’s new control circuit included that .001mfd treble bleed. Gibson went to linear volume pots, which give a wider sweep, in the early ‘70’s. Since those days all of the kids have known about this.
    It takes one patch wire on the switch to tie that the one pot for the middle pickup to the bridge.....or just move the wire to the contact for the bridge...but then the middle pickup has no problem one control. I prefer to have both a treble cut and a bass cut for the whole circuit.

7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Both are simple soldering jobs; easy enough assuming you have the right tools. I recently undertook my first jabs at wiring a guitar up. A little messy, not pretty, but perfectly functional.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

While you are shopping you might consider getting a small and inexpensive breadboard so that you can have an easy laboratory to cycle through the various values of caps and resistors to find the perfect combination for you.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I always that was the purpose of this forum, to help others. Maybe point out a very good youtube tutorial or some tips, caveats, etc.
    Your above reply was so very helpful. Thanks.

11. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It’s a very simple mod unless you don’t have a soldering setup and/or don’t solder. But soldering is easy enough to pick up so I think you’re set.

You should have a few caps handy so you can try a few cap values to see which works best. I do it on all my single coil guitars that are fairly bright.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

If you get some insulated crocodile clip cables, you can try different cap and resistor values with the guitar before deciding on which to solder in.

13. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

This is the Fender American Professional treble bleed detail

Tele_Am_Pro_Treble_Bleed.jpg

The Strat bridge tone mod is a single link added to the switch

Strat_Bridge_tone_mod.jpg

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Strat mod is dirt simple, assuming you have a traditionally wired Strat to begin with. Just add a short jumper wire as shown above. This will make it so that the other four positions work as they did before, and now position 1 is affected by the tone pot furthest from the volume pot.

Treble bleed is perhaps a bit trickier to solder, because the terminals are close together, and it's easy to short something out. More difficult is finding the correct recipe for your personal taste. For me, the goal is to hear zero tone change as I twist the vol pot. Easier said than done. And it's going to be different values if you have something other than 250k pots...

Most newcomers guitar wiring use too small of an iron to cleanly solder the pot shells. Lingering on a joint to heat it enough to melt results in messy, breakage-prone connections, and there's a good chance of frying the component. Much better to use 'too much' heat (60W iron is good), and get on and off the part in three seconds.

15. Mike F

Mike F TDPRI Member

Go to Breja Toneworks on YouTube and check out his site. He has sensible straightforward wiring diagrams and he talks you through how to do it in a clear concise way with no annoying background music. Good luck man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.