Treatment of lefties a right disgrace

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PaddyPaul, Oct 1, 2019.

1. PaddyPaul

PaddyPaul TDPRI Member

Thankfully,we're not discussing what you call the big hurdles in life. With that firmly in mind, my paragraph describes righty guitarists like you who tell left-handed players their frustrations are small. In the guitar-world context, they're not.

24 track and tubelectron like this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On bicycles, for a decade or so I had the controls reversed as to which grip controlled the rear brake and which the front. Just about everyone who would borrow my bike, even after instruction, went over the bars eventually.

straightface and PaddyPaul like this.
  3. boris bubbanov

I must not be reading your post correctly.

Way more than half of all the lefty players I know, don't play lefty - they play righty guitars, and in fact, they play righty guitars right handed with conventional string placement also. This is why trying to manufacture Lefty guitars now is a long shot - more than half of your would be customers have adapted and they don't need you. I think the same different orderings of the "left hand brain" that enable such people more towards music, also enable them to play righty guitars and so even if a left handed person is drawn twice as often to music as a right handed person is, so he is also prepared to hit any pitch that's thrown at him.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Jhengsman likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

Depends what you play - how you play.

The players who induce the most envy in me, are not the wizards with the left hand - it is what some do with the picking hand that blows my mind. Although, to some degree it really is what they do with their minds, allocating so much attention to both hands at once; playing lead and rhythm simultaneously or playing bass line, midrange and treble parts continuously.

5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

@PaddyPaul ,

Buying guitars from the other side of the pond when you live in France is nearly an Impossible Mission, unless you are wealthy enough to afford the shipping / global program / customs / etc... additional costs, not to speak the matching long delivery extra-delay. :mad:

I guess that for Australia, it's even worse... :eek:

Adding to this that like me you are a Lefty player, and it becomes an understandable nightmare as just as a source of frustration. Despite my previous post "boasting" the advantages of being a Lefty player, I completely agree with you ! ;)

Maybe it's easier to source Lefties in Japan for you ? I know that they offer nice Lefty Mosrites... :cool::rolleyes: It's for us in France as complicated and costy as sourcing in the US.:(

Fortunately, we have big importers here in Europe like thomann.de, which offers numerous Lefty models, moreover at cheap prices and not so cheap quality with their Harley Benton brand.

Brands like Eastwood, which makes numerous and unusual lefty models, is available for us through UK - but for how long ? we don't know, thanks to the Brexit affair.:confused:

IMHO, it seems to me that the Right-Hand guitar market is "overfed and fed up" - if I can say so - with so much models/variants/ltd.editions, that guitar manufacturers seems to discover now that there is finally a small - but not so negligible after all - Left-Hand guitar market which is still unsatisfied...:twisted:

Well... It can't be bad for us, Lefties, don't you think ? :D

-tbln

PaddyPaul likes this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

You are correct, you're not getting the point. You're talking about lefties resigned to playing right handed by force, not by selection. And, you are qualifying all players as the same, regardless of performance level. You have to ask the question, "would lefties be better players after 5 years if they played lefthanded?".

So in fact, some of us on a large forum did just that, and polled as follows:

Lefty playing lefthanded (pick or bow in the left hand) Y/N
    Lefty playing lefthanded instruments professionally Y/N
    Lefty playing righthanded instruments professionally Y/N

We determined the number of lefties in all fields, was less than the distribution, ~10%. The numbers of lefties playing professionally (adding the two last question numbers together) was also less that 10%. So the success rate of lefties is less than for righties. With more discussion, several felt the instrument did in fact pose an impediment to a significant number of lefties, most likely causing them to give up early - just like right handed folks who become frustrated, or impatient. There wasn't a consensus, largely prevented by the few lefties that learned to play righthanded professionally, but the results are compelling.

Since I've shared this much, I have to share another compelling story. A local 13 year old decided he really wanted to flatpick after seeing some professionals. His cousin-teacher was a player and worked with him over 6 months. He sensed this (lefthanded) student had the intuition and musical intellect to be much better, but for some reason wasn't moving as fast, and the student was becoming very frustrated. He wondered if there was a physical reason his thought and functioning was well ahead of his faculty in making notes, making phrases, and speed. On a lark, he found a lefthanded Epiphone (with action a cat could crawl under) and gave it to him as a last effort. This student was competing with in months. He won a contest within the year, and eventually went on to win Winfield. I saw his teacher this weekend, and we shared this victory story once more, noting that another month of frustration, and this young person may have given up guitar.

PaddyPaul and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. Now I get it!

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Fender knows just how sinister you are ...

9. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Those are some cool Danelectros! Never saw those before.

10. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I should know better than to read these threads by now, yet I always do and it’s always the same old arguments being made. The bottom line is that many, if not most, lefties do some things right handed. If guitar playing is on that list for you then good for you. For many of us it is not. I speak from experience. I was one of those lefties who gave up trying to learn to play as a kid because I just couldn’t get the hang of playing righty. The argument that handedness doesn’t matter at first is a fallacy. I could not get my pick hand working even remotely well, and eventually gave up until adulthood when I decided to try as a lefty. Besides, why should someone force themselves to play in an unnatural way just to fit in. Personally, I want to be a better player more than I want to have availability of lots of guitars, and I can live with that, although I sure would like to get my hands on a real live lefty es-125. The flip side of that is that some of the best righty players in the world are actually left handed. Go figure. The human brain is a strange thing.

There are lots of lefty options these days, although it seems I’m always attracted to the ones that aren’t made as lefties. I get it, it’s about profit margins and such, it is a business after all. I’ve learned that to get what I want in a tele particularly, to go the build route. Resale is crap but I don’t care, I get what I want. With everything else, I go with builders who are lefty friendly. I currently have a Collings acoustic (best acoustic I’ve ever played), a Waterloo acoustic, an NRP reso, my 4 parts teles, and a couple of lower end hollow bodies. I can live with that.

tubelectron likes this.
  11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Wow, I love the look of that Green Corvette. I've never seen one. It's very cool.

tubelectron likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with the OP, and I'm a righty

when it comes to teles, I think you should be able to buy bodies, necks, and electronics separately and have the local tech (in every shop!) there to assemble and setup the way you want

but no, we have a model that suits only the makers, not the buyers

wasteful and ass-backwards imo

PaddyPaul and tubelectron like this.
  13. teleMc

teleMc TDPRI Member

I'm a lefty, and I find this thread informative. I am torn. I believe I could play the other way, I took righty bass lessons once as a second instrument in music school. Was doing ok, and then one day about six or eight weeks in, I got a gig playing bass, switched back, and never tried again. If I had gone another couple of months it might have been another story.

I went lefty in the first place due to persecution from my brother and a rebellious streak on my part. I had my first guitar lesson right handed and was able to play a few chords.

I have dreams these days of being able to play right handed. I can play air guitar both ways ...

PaddyPaul likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

I'm talking about two groups of lefties:

a) Those who played righty because of availability/necessity;

b) People who played righty because nobody even told them they were lefty - or that as a lefty, they thought they should play the same guitar as others, just as they would play the same trumpet or the same piano, or the same accordion.

You're talking about force, and that's not an operational concept with the people I'm talking about. I'm not talking about contest winners. I'm talking about working entertainers and retired entertainers who played guitar. I'm not talking about Danny Gatton, Albert Lee, Jerry Reed and Roy Clark type guys - I'm talking more about Roy Orbison, Ray Davies, David Crosby, Elvis Costello and Ritchie Furay type guitar players. Which just so happens to be the bulk of us.

PaddyPaul likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

And I'm trying to address the bulk of US who are lefties, who could but will never be Gattons, Lee's or Reeds because we can't achieve our expectations, and turn our talent to something else, with less impediment. I'm suggesting there is good evidence this is happening, as lefties give up pre-maturely, because its harder to use their non-dominant hand and the extra learning curve, which is already too difficult for many. But, I'm just adding observation and anecdotal data for discussion. I'm not declaring I'm exclusively correct. I just need folks to stop thinking its always wrong if its not righthanded, such as I was told with respect to guitar, banjo and fiddle, all of which I was told was wrong in any other way than righthanded. My favorite quip, after winning a contest:

spectator: "Why do you play lefthanded?"
    me: "because I'm lefthanded, and picked up instruments at 3 years of age in that configuration"
    him: "That was an awesome finals. Congradulations!"
    Me: "Thanks, I'm pretty humbled by it all."
    him: "Its really something for a lefty to beat these others, you should be especially proud, being lefthanded and all."
    Me: "Thanks..."
    Him: "I mean, just think how much better you'd be, if you were righthanded".

A lot is revealed in that last statement.

straightface likes this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Usually, people coming to speak to me after a concert doesn't ever noticed that I am Lefty player - even if I am close to our bassman which is RH player ! :lol: I think that it is a detail without importance for them... ;)

For sure ! As I wrote it, these are two "Improbable Lefty" guitars that I built with a help of an amateur-luthier pal.

Danelectro "Minerva Verde", built from scratch :

[​IMG]

Danelectro "Orange Blossom Special", a derelict resurrected from trash :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the G5135GL "G Love" signature Corvette, bought 2nd hand. My daughter flashed on her at my local music shop... I traded a brand new bass that I never used and voilà... :)

[​IMG]

-tbln

17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

It's definitely got the special sauce.

tubelectron likes this.
  18. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Gee whiz, another thread about lefties.

I came out as a lefty when I was born.

I never gave it much thought at the time, because babies don't have a lot of thinking to do. I just did what came naturally and used my left hand for important stuff.

Naturally I play left handed guitars because that is what feels best.

I think the more important question, which behoves all to ponder, is what hand does one use to wipe one's fundamental orifice.

Because if one does not stick to the correct hand, skid marks may result, and nobody wants to leave skid marks.

19. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The problem is not in who you are including , but in who you are excluding . Designing a situation to support your intended outcome is , at best , insincere .
    Boris , we agree on many things , but this isn't one of them .

20. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I am naturally left-handed, & the only thing I do righty is play guitar & steel. When I was first learning, my guitar teacher made me switch over to righty, saying I would never be any good if I remained sinister. I would prolly be a better player, but woulda never learned pedal steel, since lefty steels are almost non-existent.
    Personally, I love being a lefty & if I still played lefty, I would just flip a righty guitar ala' Hendrix (who was actually right-handed, BTW)
    Besides, flipping a righty guitar looks cooler than having a lefty ax.

knockeduptele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.