Treatment of lefties a right disgrace

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PaddyPaul, Oct 1, 2019.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Yes but again there is the argument that on a guitar, a right handed player do the « most fine motor things » with his left hand...
    My personal experience is that as a right handed person, I still have more strength in my right arm. But since I started learning and playing the guitar 30 years ago, I developed more strength in my left hand and fingers than in the right. So much that when I want to open a can or something, I rather use my left hand, which is counter intuitive for many right handed persons.
    I see that as a result of being forced to develop my « wrong » hand, hence my conclusion that there should be really no right or wrong hand when playing an instrument.

In the end, like you said I think that some right handed persons could have felt more at ease starting to learn and play on lefties guitars and vice versa. If it does not really happen is because when you are right handed, nothing encourages you to try and play a lefty guitar to begin with.
    But I also think that it does not really matter since you adapt quickly, because playing the guitar feels really unnatural no matter what when you’re a beginner.

Edit: I have a 4 year old son and by now it is very clear that he is right handed. Each time he grabs his little guitar, he puts it indifferently one way or the other onto his leg, and at this step I am convinced he could learn both ways.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    PaddyPaul likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

After 30 years of playing I still has not managed to hold it tight enough so it won’t slip :oops:

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I feel like I’m mostly beyond my days of the pick slipping but only if I use the right picks.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Lefties?, isn't there something sinister about them?

I'm here all week. Try the veal...

/coat

grayback, rangercaster and Shuster like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

If I recall, left handed is less common than narrow feet and the latter is barely served by most footwear manufacturers. Two friends who've been overweight no matter what they try have joked how the past 20 years has meant they finally have lots of shopping options for clothing. I think something like about 10% of the people being left handed is just not going to be good for guitar shoppers because just guitar shoppers is not a huge market. Good luck starting a leftie epidemic to have something with a parallel public health issues.

6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

My toddler son orients his "toy" Ukulele left-handed when he plays it. We'll see if he grows out of it!

7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

There's advantages of being a Lefty guitar player - I am one of them to say this :

1 - you can't buy all the guitars that exists, because they simply do not exist for you Lefty : it's an excellent, natural protection for you and your wallet against GAS.:cool:

2 - nearly nobody will use your guitars as they can't play them : it's selfish, but a good protection against indelicacy and uglyness of other.:twisted:

3 - when you play very close to a bassist or another guitarist, you can face it and play - even sing - easily without being The Three Musketeers.:lol:

4 - Sometimes, by chance, you can find scarce instruments, like my Gretsch G5622TLH SRF GRN (S/N° KS14123885).:eek:

- only 10 factory-made in the world with a B7LH in the Surf Green color.
    - the 1st Gretsch ever factory-fitted with 3 pickups since 1883.
    - the 1st Gretsch ever made in Surf Green since 1883.
    - never produced in Right-Hand in that color.

[​IMG]

Well, that doesn't make her especially valuable, but rare and a little bit historical, at least... ;)

5 - as you do not have wide choice, you learn to convert guitars to LH (when possible, of course). My 2 Gretsch acoustic Archtop were born Right-Handed :) :

[​IMG]

6 - again, by short of supply (and/or cash, in my case :confused:), you discover that some cheap and discarded brands can make great guitars if you are willing to improve them seriously :

[​IMG]

7 - it's fun to build (or resurrect) improbable brand guitars models ( = that de facto by their LH dexterity never existed :lol:) :

[​IMG]

Well, finally, all is not so dark in the Lefty Guitar World todayo_O - at least for me, OK;) - but let me tell you that the offer in LH guitars is considerably wider nowadays :cool: than in the past - i.e. late 70s, when I started to play guitar, it was nearly nonexistent, at least here in France.

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

24 track, rangercaster, Alter and 3 others like this.
  8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm another lefty that learned right. I picked up the guitar at the age of 12 in 1972. My dad played and had a few guitars so if I wanted to play it was right handed.
    A friend of mine that I still occasionally gig with ordered a left handed 64 custom tele (in 1964) and waited a few months for it. He still has that beast. The frustrating thing is I can't play the dam thing. He'd let me play it any time but I can't.

[​IMG]

9. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

I play left-handed primarily because I've got a weird deformity in my arms (radius and ulna were fused at birth), so I can't hold a right handed guitar. Doesn't hurt that most of my guitar idols played left-handed either, feels like being in a special club.

But GOOD GOD shopping for guitars is the worst. One reason I don't have a telecaster yet is that it's quite impossible to find a quality lefty deluxe. I'll build one eventually, I guess.

My latest guitar came from this killer luthier in Bulgaria (he's recently relocated to Russia). I can't recommend his work enough, although he's raised his prices significantly since I got mine.

PaddyPaul and Shuster like this.
  10. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gorgeous Collection Sir!!!;):)

tubelectron likes this.
  11. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Hail hail rare lefty Gretsches!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 of 12 made. Love it!

24 track, tubelectron and PaddyPaul like this.
  12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Shouldn't the thread title be the treatment of lefties a wrong disgrace?

Reminds me of giving someone directions and saying left is right and right is wrong....

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

If this is your biggest life hurdle, I'd say you're running way ahead of the pack!

As a life-long lefty, I can't say that I've suffered undue hardship or discrimination. And most of my left-playing friends like what they have.

I play righty, but no one needs every model of every guitar. If you can't sound good on a Tele, Strat, SG, or Les (and I'll bet you can!), then a Performer or Vintera probably isn't a cure.

Bottom line: If you really need a Performer or a Vintera, get one, reverse the strings, and flip it over.

Nubs likes this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Up to a point. Remember, though, that some people are more left- or right-handed than others.

I went to a finger-style workshop run by drop-D hot-shot Bennett Hammond:

He tried helping me get my alternating bass thumb thing going - and got nowhere. (I've been trying for fifty years. I can get a bass or treble line going, but never both together.)

I finally said, "I just have a stupid right hand."

He said, "You're a lefty?" and slapped his forehead and said, "Why do teachers do that to lefties? You'll never be able to keep that bass line going!"

So that's at least one experienced teacher who sees a down side to lefties learning righty. I know there are lefties who can, but I'm not one of 'em!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Thanks @Shuster ! ;)

For sure, @Nubs :cool: ! I would have been pleased to find one too... :rolleyes:

I offered a Green Corvette to my Daughter - she's Righty;) :

[​IMG]

But none for me... :(

-tbln

Nubs likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You don't become a Vegan if you live and work on a cattle ranch.

You don't ride a bike to work at the Auto assembly plant.

If you can't find guitars fashioned the way you want them, go someplace where they are fashioned that way or assemble your own, or learn to play what is available at reasonable cost.

TDPRI's real motto is "If you cannot find a Tele model that meets your requirements, the kind people here will instruct you on how to assemble your own".

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I always batted lefty better, in baseball.

I always assumed I fell behind insofar as right hand technique is concerned, because my first and favorite teacher made do with a badly messed up right hand due to a fireworks mishap, but sometimes I do suspect my right hand is not so bright, in comparison to a lot of other guitar players.

Interesting post - thanks!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  18. PaddyPaul

PaddyPaul TDPRI Member

So, apparently, I'm a lefty with an attitude problem, I should be content with my guitar collection (three) and not aspire to "every model of every guitar" (I don't) - at least until my ability improves (unlikely). Strangely (but only for you, Charlie), my lefty guitar mates echo my frustrations. Little else to whinge about, those guys - although one never stops banging about his awkward "flipped" strat, not to mention what it cost. Wasn't a problem for Jimi, of course, but wasn't that ironic when Fender only issued a righty Hendrix "flipped" model?

But probably the biggest challenge is the "life-long lefty" who, wait for it, "plays righty" but tells bona fide lefties to cop it sweet because, all things considered, "they're running ahead of the pack" in life's eternal struggle. Now that's a big call.

PS: Many thanks to all for the great response to the thread. Some terrific reading, interesting side-issues and perspectives. I certainly agree that the situation has improved - and it would be naive to expect a lefty in every new model, reissues etc. Many guitarists are almost as interested in their instruments as in their playing ability. For some it's obsession - and lefties, as they say here in Oz, deserve a fair suck of the sauce bottle. Thanks all!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Good thoughts and comments in your post, but I don't really get what you mean in the paragraph above.

Is there a difference between life-long lefties and bona fide lefties? Are life-long lefties running ahead of newly converted lefties? Are bona fide lefties running ahead of fake lefties? Or are lefties running ahead of righties?

20. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

sinister
    [ sin-uh-ster ]
    adjective
    1) threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous: a sinister remark.
    2) bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell: his sinister purposes.
    3) unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable: a sinister accident.
    4) of or on the left side; left.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.