Treatment of lefties a right disgrace

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PaddyPaul, Oct 1, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All five of our motorcycles are right-handed, and even as a 70% left-hander, I have no trouble proficiently operating any of them.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, if they quit making righty guitars today, there still would be plenty for the next several years!! More than enough time to think about us pond scum lefties, and build us some righteous guitars;):)

Nubs likes this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Never even once in all the years I rode a motorcycle did I ever think a motorcycle could be right or left handed.

Motorcycles are like swimming.. they require coordinated use of all your limbs at the same time.

This stuff goes way beyond hands anyway. We all have these same issues with our legs, hips, feet, arms, etc.. all being more dominant on one side.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Believe me there is no disrespect intended. This is a serious question. In junior and senior high school orchestra I never saw anyone playing an orchestral stringed instrument differently from the others. All bowed with the right hand and fingered the notes with the left. There didn't seem to be any difference in performance between right handed and left handed players. The ones who played best had talent for sure, but the biggest difference was just that they worked harder. I'll admit that I played brass, not stringed instruments so I may be missing something obvious. Why is it different for guitar and bass guitar players than violin and double bass players?

5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

I'm a lefty - as far as I'm concerned all the right-handed people are playing the guitar stupid. My dominant hand is doing all the intricate work. Think on that. Being a lefty and playing a "righty" guitar is a huge advantage.

Shuster likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

confession time I am right handed but play left and I tried to play right handed and it dont work fer this kid, playing left always felt natural , and Im glad because it means I draw from ther right side of my brain creatively

trahx, tubelectron and 8barlouie like this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's one way to look at it, but hardly the only way. I'm a lefty playing "righty", and as far as I'm concerned my dominant hand (on the neck) is doing more intricate work. It travels over a greater area (my pick hand barely moves, relatively speaking). Each finger being used at a given moment has to land in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time, often at the same time (I mostly play with a pick, so I just have to hold the pick). The consequences of a slight mistake with my left hand (a nice chord becoming dissonant mush) are generally worse than those of a slight mistake with my right (slight sloppiness). Getting bends and vibrato "right" (which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing every time) is totally dependent on my left hand.

8. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Alright, it's time I throw in mine. First off...*$*#@ this post above. I know he's joking and so I take it as-is. But I read some of these posts and shake my head.

I know we've been down this road MANY times before, but I'll repeat myself in ordered list fashion:

1. Righties don't know what it's like. It's been a struggle and will continue to be.
    2. Lefties who gave up & joined the righty world, shame on you. I get why you would switch for availability & all. That just means you gave up and conformed to the majority. Disappointing.
    3. DOMINANT HAND SHOULD BE STRUMMING. I can't believe this needs repeating. When I play drums, I play lefty as well so the hi-hats and snare are on the right-hand side if you're looking at the set from behind. My left hand is keeping the tempo on the hi-hats and cymbals. READ THAT AGAIN. MY DOMINANT HAND IS KEEPING TIME. Why the hell would you want your non-dominant hand keeping time?
    4. There are a lot of lefty options out there now:
    a. Fender - 12 lefty models, most with multiple color options, not to mention the Japanese offerings
    b. Gibson - I dunno how many models they currently offer, but there's a bunch
    c. G&L - ASAT Tribute, Bluesboy Tribute, Legacy Tribute, S-500 Tribute and most of their other lineup available lefty.
    d. Gretsch - Streamliner and a few Electromatic models as well as signature series models.
    e. Eastwood/Airline - Hot tamales!! These guys are the best! 70 different lefty models!
    f. PureSalem Guitars - One of the best lefty friendly companies out there! Every model is available lefty!

And there's many more I haven't mentioned like Ibanez, Music Man, EVH, Eastman, Martin, Taylor, etc. So the argument there's no good lefties out there is utter bull.

Even though we're doing better, we still have a loooooong way to go to get anywhere near the variety righties enjoy.

Agreed John. Eastwood and Airline and Rivolta are by far the nicest ones to us. I really dig your models too, especially that black & orange hollowbody. Now convince them to at least give us a gig-bag with them. I know it's not under your control, but $1200 for an overseas made guitar with no bag or case? Come on man!

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

I am willing to bet that there were fiddle and bass fiddle players who learned on their own who did start playing left handed. However many, make that most, start out with formal academic instruction now. It is with guitarist with controls fretboard cuts set out of the way for a right handed player and trap drummers set up for playing right and not left handed that a need for a special set up becomes noticeable

JL_LI likes this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

If that were true, then we wouldn't have 100% correlation with right handed folks holding a pick or a bow in their right hand. The next metric, is how many lefties reach professional status. Its conclusive that less than 10% of noted professionals are lefthanded, which suggests a lefty attempting to acquire dominant fine motor in their non-dominant hand is an impediment. Really you only need to realize one thing: some folks are righthanded for a reason. There's an evolutionary dependency on learning curves and the dominant hand where fine motor activities profit from special training of that hand -writing, tools, spear throwing, picks and bows...And finally as a back check: only rightys suggest we'd all be better off right handed...

All that said, a lefthanded person can train their non-dominant hand to achieve equal performance levels. But only with more effort and time than relying on the advanced pre-wired state of their dominant hand.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

As a left handed person who plays righty I agree with this to some degree. I think we pick up fretting techniques faster because we're fretting with our dominant hands. I don't know that it has really helped me with not having to look at the fretboard but I think it helps with picking up some techniques around bending, sliding, hammer-on/pull-off, etc..

But we definitely have a disadvantage with our picking hand being the weak hand. I had a hard time even getting to the point I could hold the pick right without it wanting to slip. I got through strumming downward pretty quick but strumming up & alternate picking were really hard. I still have a hard time playing arpeggios above a certain pace where I have to pick out patterns that skip strings. I am OK playing 8th note arpeggios up to about 85-90bpm in 4/4 but it's taken a lot of work. I'm guessing a righty might pick that stuff up faster.

straightface likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

You realize there's at most 10% left handed people right? So saying only 10% of pro musicians are left handed doesn't mean much.

There are other weird things attributed to being right handed/left handed and it may be that some of those supposedly correlated personality traits affect who goes into music too.

The whole thing is a bit ridiculous though.. musical instruments are rare examples where the tools are assymetric and it matters. Writing, tools, spears, bow & arrows, all those things are symmetrical and work equally well no matter which hand is your dominant hand.

All this stuff is minor IMO compared to motivation/dedication when it comes to practice.

It's been a long time since I did any archery but IIRC that is another activity it was totally natural to pick up the bow and shoot righty even though I'm left handed.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was deliberately being silly in my post. ;)

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Actually in terms of whether it holds you back for music, this is from Wikipedia:

So it has nothing at all to do with your actual hands on the instrument.. brain differences are beneficial.

Nickfl likes this.
  15. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I mostly agree with all you say, but I am not sure there is really a « dominant » hand when playing a musical instrument. The strength it needs is not higher in one hand or another, and both hands take equal part in the musical expression.
    For example, on a piano, the bass and the treble lines are equally important, and it is not uncommon for a pianist to « cross his hands ».
    On a guitar or on a bowed instrument, each note you play is born from both your hands at the same time.
    Once again, that’s what seems logical to me, and I don’t say I’m right. Anyway it really is an interesting subject.

16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

C5C76978-1D46-4447-A0FD-EDE0B6A42CA7.png

Everybody know that tone resonates better on right handed guitars than left handed ones. Heck Jimi proved that ....

17. Musekatcher

It seems debatable. But I say its more likely, there's a reason we do most fine motor things with a single hand. If it didn't matter, we'd either all be one-handed, or equally other-handed. Like either 100/0, or 50/50. Instead, we are 90/10, and each group does the same things with their dominant hand. Pretty compelling there is a controlling correlation and factor at play.

18. Musekatcher

That's why I stated less than 10% are lefthanded. If it didnt matter, the same number of lefties would be musicians, surgeons, pilots, blonde, cargo shorts wearers - which are all true except musicians. Since the lefties among professionals is less than the population, there must be an impediment.

19. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Aren't most guitars left-handed. Your left hand it doing a lot more than your right hand is. It seems that a lefty learning to play right-handed should be even easier.

I do think that all guitar teachers should have to play left-handed guitars so you can follow them better while sitting opposite them and learning from them.

Also I am left-eyed - but all the reading materials in the U.S. are set up for right-eyed people. We need to see more product being made for the left-eyed crowd!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

At least the guitar shop guys don't smack your hand with a ruler if you picked up a guitar the "wrong" way..:lol:

like the teachers/parents did to us when we first learned our pencil skills as kids...back in the good 'ole days...:mad::rolleyes:

I would have been a lefty from the word go if I was left to my own devices...I kick lefty, surf lefty, etc....

and my right hand writing was always crap, still is...:D

EsquireBoy and Jhengsman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.