Traynor YGM 3 Mods

mattleblanc275

TDPRI Member
I have an early 70’s Traynor YGM 3 (3 inputs, push/pull bright switch added to volume pot). Any recommended tweaks or mods to this circuit? Schematics much appreciated. 🥸

moonlighter

TDPRI Member
fetch.jpg
fetch.gif

I was going to suggest a Jim Kelley style pull mid-boost, but it would appear that the Traynor's tonestack isn't a conventional "James" style like I thought at first glance.

So rather than just making some suggestions out of the aether, what changes would you like to see from the amp? Do you like the tone and just want some tricks? Or are there characteristics you'd like to see improved?

Off the bat, the YGM has great bones and can become a Boogie slayer depending on how much work you want to put into it.

mattleblanc275

TDPRI Member
View attachment 1037136 View attachment 1037137

I was going to suggest a Jim Kelley style pull mid-boost, but it would appear that the Traynor's tonestack isn't a conventional "James" style like I thought at first glance.

So rather than just making some suggestions out of the aether, what changes would you like to see from the amp? Do you like the tone and just want some tricks? Or are there characteristics you'd like to see improved?

Off the bat, the YGM has great bones and can become a Boogie slayer depending on how much work you want to put into it.

mattleblanc275

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the schematics, guys - these are very helpful. I guess I’m just looking for the typical mods/tweaks that are done to these amps to make them shine. I lie the characteristics of the amp as is, just looking for a little “more”….. I know it’s vague, but talking about tone can be like talking about fine wine - it’s hard not to sound pretentious and stupid at the same time. I already have great tubes in it - any luck with PIO caps in the tone circuit, like in high-end tube mics?

Gunny

Tele-Holic
These were made where I grew up. I've played through a few and love them, particularly with a Tele. I've fixed and modded a few as well. I have one suggestion regarding tweaking. An unpopular mod is a Master Volume. Those who tried it usually change it back to stock.

moonlighter

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the schematics, guys - these are very helpful. I guess I’m just looking for the typical mods/tweaks that are done to these amps to make them shine. I lie the characteristics of the amp as is, just looking for a little “more”….. I know it’s vague, but talking about tone can be like talking about fine wine - it’s hard not to sound pretentious and stupid at the same time. I already have great tubes in it - any luck with PIO caps in the tone circuit, like in high-end tube mics?

Audio lingo is a funny thing, but most of us here in the forum are pretty understanding of it all.
I came up with some mods real quick, things I would do if it was my own amp. Really just some value changes that should open the circuit up some and let it "breathe".
(I'm using the part numbers on the first schematic I posted just for ease...)

R5: change this to 1.5k, it will make the first stage a little more asymmetric (less hifi).

R23 & R24: swap these for 220k, this will load the phase inverter less and open the power section up a bit.

R39: increase this value to 180k, it will decrease the negative feedback in the power section.

R43: put a 220k here, it will reduce the stage's gain (which is already crazy high) and make it feel less compressed.

C9: sub for an .022, this is to make both sides of the PI symmetric, and will let the negative feedback tighten up the bass response.

C31: change this for an .047, it will make the "presence" more defined.

If you wanted, we could make the tone controls a proper "James" style fairly easily (think Ampeg, and Jim Kelley), but it'd be more in depth than just these part substitutions.

mattleblanc275

TDPRI Member
Audio lingo is a funny thing, but most of us here in the forum are pretty understanding of it all.
I came up with some mods real quick, things I would do if it was my own amp. Really just some value changes that should open the circuit up some and let it "breathe".
(I'm using the part numbers on the first schematic I posted just for ease...)

R5: change this to 1.5k, it will make the first stage a little more asymmetric (less hifi).

R23 & R24: swap these for 220k, this will load the phase inverter less and open the power section up a bit.

R39: increase this value to 180k, it will decrease the negative feedback in the power section.

R43: put a 220k here, it will reduce the stage's gain (which is already crazy high) and make it feel less compressed.

C9: sub for an .022, this is to make both sides of the PI symmetric, and will let the negative feedback tighten up the bass response.

C31: change this for an .047, it will make the "presence" more defined.

If you wanted, we could make the tone controls a proper "James" style fairly easily (think Ampeg, and Jim Kelley), but it'd be more in depth than just these part substitutions.
This is fantastic- thank you.