1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Traynor YGL1 Digital Reverb Changeout

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by maj34, Sep 22, 2020.

1. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

I've had this YGL1 for years. I love it except for a couple of things, and I'm feeling "moddy".

Never liked the Belton Digital reverb turned up above 2 and even that's pushing it. I find something about the decay unpleasant.

I'm shopping on Smallbear at the moment and I noticed they have replacement digital reverb tanks. I think the YGL1 has a medium decay reverb and I'm thinking about putting in a short decay reverb.

My YGL1 is currently in storage at my parent's house so I don't have access to it. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to open their YGL1 and take a picture of the Accutronics digital reverb tank. I've looked at it before, but would like to have some gut shots to verify that the Smallbear units are compatible.

2. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

And I'll ask for forgiveness in advance for talking about digital reverb in the glowing bottle forum!

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You are going to want to know the code on your tank. The input and output impedances must be the same for any replacement tank. The decay time can be different IF someone makes such a tank.
    https://www.mojotone.com/kb-reverb-tanks/Reverb-Tank-Specifications

Here is a link to a more comprehensive study...

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-articles/accutronics-products-and-specifications

You can measure the resistances of the input and out. The numbers for the resistances will not match the impedances, but you can multiply by 10 and get close to the impedances.

4. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Hey Wally: This is a digital reverb unit. Thinking what you're saying above would apply for actual spring units?

I'm going to visit the amp tomorrow and take it apart to see what's in it. But I think it's one of the following product lines:
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/reverb-module-accutronics-belton-digi-log-horizontal-mini
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/reverb-module-accutronics-belton-digi-log-horizontal-mount

... in which case I can just swap out the medium delay for a short delay. All other specs are the same for Short/Medium/Long versions of the reverb "tank".

Wally likes this.
  5. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Okay, I've made some progress: Found the service manual which shows it as a BTDR-1H-M. I should be able to substitute in a BTDR-1H-S.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  6. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Try to be gentle on the heat desoldering the original Belton brick - you could potentially easily fry it. They have reasonnably long legs, but desoldering is often trickier. May be consider a heat sink.

I built a reverb pedal using one of these bricks (2 version), I really like it.

Let us know what you think of the change once you fitted the short decay brick.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Lol,on me....I was thinking about a spring reverb that was driven by IC circuitry. My bad...... I withdraw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.