Traynor YCV40 - The Verdict is out...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eksfiles, Oct 19, 2006.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Tele-Meister

Well after renting all Traynor YCV 40 models (the 2x10, 1x12 and the 1x12 with a celestion Vintage 30) I have to say that the regular YCV40, and not the YCV40WR is the better of the bunch...... to my ears at least.

I found the 2x10 sort of weak. It lacked any sort of deep definition, and the treble could take your ears off.

I really wanted to like the YCV40WR. I thought that the Vintage 30 would really enhance what I previously thought the regular YCV40 lacked. The V-30 seems a logical upgrade for this amp. It is suppose to be very mid-dy, however, I think that the V-30 emphasized the upper mids a little too much. Thats something that this amp DOES NOT NEED!!

I don't think the Vintage 30 is to blame though. I've noticed that the controls are almost too interactive on these amps. The treble starts to kick in at around 3 on the knob, and just gets brighter and brighter. Normally this is what you should expect when you turn up the treble, BUT, the mids affect the treble pot too much. Under 5 on the dial, it stays life-less, almost thin for lack of a better word, but once you boost it past 5, it seems to add to the already bright treble by adding those sometimes unpleasant upper-mids.

In conclusion, I found the YCV40 (black model) with the Celestion70/80 speaker to be the most neutral-sounding speaker, that will accomodate these quirky tone controls.

Its a bit of a downer. I was hoping to pick one up. I was leaning towards the Wine Red YCV40, but it just doesn't work with that speaker. I'd get the regular 40, however, I find it almost too generic sounding, but I must admit...

a hell of a big bang for the buck.

FWIW, I would recommend it to anyone, but it just doesn't work for me.
    I'm hoping for the days where you can get a really warm-sounding amp priced tastefully between bargin and boutique, for some of us middle class geetar pickers.

Sorry about the long rant.....
    If you care to share your thoughts, by all means.

2. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I wouldn't know a thing about the new Traynor stuff but.........

I've got an old YBA-1 from '68/'69 that just kicks A$$!!

VERY much like an early Marshall JTM45.

What a bargain it was for $200.

Hook it up to a sealed 2x12 with good, lively speakers and stand back!

3. etiquettemona

etiquettemona Tele-Meister

Haven´t tried the other models but I really miss my YCV 40 with
    the 70/80.
    Just a great great sturdy amp and the only one in it´s price range where
    both channels are usable. To me the amp sounded Fender/Vox-like on "clean"
    and Marshall/Vox on "lead". Fantastic value. To loud for me on stage though.

4. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

That is the exacte some problem I had with the V30 in the YCV50blue I owned. I just don't think it's a good speaker for these amps.

The other major problem when it comes to giving these a fair 'test run' is the tubes. When I reubed to YCV50blue, it literally sounded like a completely different amp. Both channels warmed up, and the gain was smoother and broke up nicer on the gain channel. The difference was literally night and day.

5. geddyleedog

geddyleedog Tele-Holic

The YCV40 is a heck of an amp (stock or modded). It's got a great clean and overdrive channel and mine has been really reliable. I couldn't be happier. IMHO Traynor could've raised the price by a couple hundred bucks and it would still be worth it. Anybody who wants to get a reliable, gig-worthy amp for a great price really owes it to themselves to try this amp. YMMV.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I owned a YCV40WR, for a while. I agree with ol man about the Fender/Vox cleans, and Vox/Marshall Lead sounds. The amp had both good clean and overdrive sounds. I think it has the best Vox like sound, for a 6L6 amp. I didn't like the heat issues, that I had with EL84 amps.

I didn't think that it had enough power though. My SS Peavey Transtubes seemed much louder. The Vintage 30 is an effient speaker, I just expected more volume. The Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, is an under rated speaker. I would have liked to try one in my YCV40. It would also have reduced the weight, by about six pounds.

I thought that the build quality was very good, on the Traynors. I bought mine form a friend, for a good price, and sold it to another friend. I like to keep good gear in my guitar circle.

7. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

I have the YCV50Blue with EL34 & a V30. This is an amp with seriously recognizable voicing. The upper mids describe it quiet well. At first, I found this to be a tasteless tone. But as I experimented with different guitars, I found the 'nitch' that worked extremely well for me. I found that my R8 Les Paul and CS Non-Reverse Firebird are the best voiced guitars in my collection through this amp. It certainly colorizes the tone a lot, but it is a very nice sizzle that I cannot get from my other amps. I stumbled onto this superb tone with the Firebird. I started playing some butchered Johnny Winter licks, and WHALLA!!!

Both the R8 & Firebird sound totally different in other amps. They both use potted CS '57 Humbuckers. My other guitars, ES-335, Strat, & Telecaster don't have the same effect on my tone appreciation as the R8 & Firedird through this amp.

The lesson that I learned was that guitar & amp match-up are far more important than many of us realize until we stumble across the magic combination. If you are like most folks that want to dedicate your sound to a specific guitar, then there may be times that you cannot find your sound in various amps. Since this is a Telecaster forum, I would suspect that Traynor's are not always at the top of the list for preferred amps on this forum. But to me, they are indeed great with the right guitar and settings.

8. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Tele-Meister

The YCV40WR with the V30 works well for me. I may experiment with different speakers at some point, but I don't have any complaints about the tone--clean or dirty, it always sounds good to me (although the drive channel really needs to be opened up to sound good).

It's also been powerful enough for decent sized bars for me. The clean channel is really starting to sing opened up at club volumes.

But reverbbb's point is very valid--so much of "tone" is subjective, and the sound you get out of any one piece of gear depends the other links in the chain.

Overdrive pedals in particular seem prone to this--what sounds great with one guitar may not work at all with another. But it's true for amps too.

9. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

I have the YCV 40T with the 2 10s and liked it more than the 1x12. I found that it sounded more 3D. But I don't play really heavy music and like warm cleans to slightly dirty tones.

10. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

oops

11. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I'm chiming in because I've got the baby of the Traynor amps, a YCV20, and I couldn't be happier with an amp. I've had it for three years now and it really is a joy to play through. I find it works best with my tele and l6-s, but my es-355 also shines when I keep things clean.

Cheers. Enjoy your amp.

PS: I'm old enough to remember Pete Traynor puttering around in the back of the first L&M store near Yonge and Asquith in Toronto.

12. Vince a

Vince a Tele-Holic

And I'm chiming in because I have the grandfather - the YCV80Q - 80 watt all tube amp with 4 x 10 inch Celestion Tube 10's.

Although I still have a much-modified Blues Junior, I sold two Fender amps to get the Traynor after test driving one.

I discovered that the Celestion speakers must really be broken in well . . . I played my bass through the amp for about 20 hours . . . then I considered it "broken in." It was a totally different sounding amp after after a few weeks of playing a bass through it.

Second best thing I did was to re-tube with a complete set of JJ/Tesla tubes.

I like the amp . . . little on the heavy side at 68 pounds, but has such a great sounding clean, and a very nasty dirty channel.

13. fuzz

fuzz TDPRI Member

I've had one for over two years (ycv40, the black one) and haven't had any problems with it besides the power tube sockets having to be resoldered. I thought the speaker sounded like butt so I got a v30, it sounds thicker and fuller now. I swapped out the power tubes for some ruby tubes, those will probably be going soon too. There's a JJ in the second preamp spot and a fender 12ax7 in the first, with some sovtek 12at7 for the reverb. I wish it broke up/opened up earlier, it's too damn loud. Can I take out a power tube or does that only work with some amps?

14. drumbee

drumbee NEW MEMBER!

Here is the best Traynor YCV40 story/testimony

I bought a YCV40 a few years ago, used somewhere. I had it in a music area in my garage. Well, someone broke into the garage and made off with a lot of stuff during the winter. They got in through a back window and carried the stuff through a wooded area to, I presume, their vehicle. One of the things they took was my YCV40. 4 or 5 months later, my daughter was walking the dog. She came back and asked me if I had a Traynor. I told her yes, and she said it is in the woods behind the house. I went back there and it was dirty and the bottom had about 4 inches of water in it. I dumped the water out and carried it back home (not easy to carry one of those through the scrubbrush). Anyway, I took it apart and the amp looked pretty clean. The case was filthy and the tolex had started to come off from being so wet. I took it to my amp tech who cleaned it up a bit and put in some new tubes and it works great! Even the speakers which had gotten very wet work. So, this thing was out in the snow and rain for about 4 months and it still works!! Luckily, it was plywood and not particle board like some amps!

15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was me. I stole your amps. Sorry about that. Uh... can I have that Traynor back? I've been reading up on them and I kinda messed up by dropping it. I didn't mean to do that. So. When would be a good time to come pick up the Traynor? Sometime around 5pm today work for you? I gotta go to my Grandma's birthday party at six so earlier is better for me. Thanks. See you then!

16. Ken Sherman

Ken Sherman NEW MEMBER!

I know I'm posting to a thread that has taken place several years ago and judging by the ages of some of the members this may be more of a seance, but i gotta tell you that I too own a YCV40 with a 70/80 speaker and love it! I have had many opportunities to trade up, down and sideways and cannot commit. Both the dirty and the clean channels are equally killer and that too is rare in an amp of that price range or even a price range several rungs up! Just kidding about the seance. Hope all of you are doing well.

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I own a YCV40WR ... love the amp hated the speaker ... I also hate the 70/80. Probably could have saved a few bucks by buying the YCV40 ... either way I would have changed the speaker ... the YCV40WR has a C.Rex in it now and it sounds really good to my ears ...especially cranked. I use it mostly for some Classic rock and some similar stuff. It doesn't get as much play time as BJ, Ampegs and Classic 30 mostly because these other amps sound better with some the blues/ R&B stuff I play these days. It does get used though ... it is a great amp.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I for one have never played a Traynor I didn't like.
    Just some way more than others.

Henry Mars likes this.
  19. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I've been an exclusive Marshall Amplifier player for over 30 years. I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 which I like to run in "true stereo" in my living room. I had a Marshall Class 5 1X10" Combo as my second amp however I gave it to a dear old friend in exchange for some tree work. I had one old Fender Blackface Deluxe just for that Deluxe Reverb/Tremelo tone. Well, I sold that amp and needed a decent replacement. I had been looking for months for another Marshall when I ran across this Traynor YCV Blue50 1X12" Amp. "Made in Toronto, Canada", has a Celestion Vintage 30 12" Speaker, runs on (2) EL34 Power Tubes, and is in MINT condition. It came with the original amp cover, footswitch, footswitch cable, and the grill cloth and Tolex are immaculate. This amp oozes "brand new" in appearance. I like the rawness of the Gain channel and since I just needed another decent 1X12" Combo so I could play in "true stereo". I found this gem at a Guitar Center "Used" for $350.00. I just had to have it for that price. I will be running it on the clean channel for "true stereo". Okay, while not a Marshall by any means, it is a really good quality solid 1X12" amp. It looks great (with the Blue Tolex), it sounds pretty darn good but different than my Marshall's. I would say this is an outside the regular box of Marshall and Fender Classic Amp's but a nice alternative for different tones. I like mine and I wouldn't return it or sell it as I am certain I would regret doing so. You just don't come across amps like this in this kind of condition for such a low price. This amp is not for everyone however it suits my needs.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Back when I was big into playing rockabilly and jump type stuff, I auditioned a Traynor YCV40 and was really impressed with it. It didn't have the clean thwack of the HRDX i was using at the time, but it sounded more like what you'd hear on those old recordings, and it reminded me of the old Gibson amps sounds.

I got a YCV20(WR) and found it just too quiet without a mic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.