Traynor yba-2a more like a fender or Marshall??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jmurphyguitar, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jmurphyguitar

jmurphyguitar TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

I purchased a Traynor Bass Mate Yba 2a from Carter vintage in Nashville the other day and love it! I’m curious as to why people always compare it to a Marshall? To me it sounds a lot like a fender?? Whatever it’s more like doesn’t really matter to me cause I like the way it sounds, I’m just curious.

Also does anyone have any info on Traynor amps in general or know a good resource? I’m trying to get a date on mine. Thanks!

Here’s a clip of me using it, it sounds pretty fender to me: https://instagram.com/p/BeeozakFoZc/

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, for a start the Marshall these are compared to was a Fender copy, but when Traynor copied the '50s Fender Bassman/ '60s Marshall circuit, Marshall still made amps with close to the same circuit, while fender did not.

Also, if you are comparing the Traynor to modern Marshall sounds, you won't hear those. Vintage Marshalls had a lot of clean on the volume knob before the distorted sound up near full volume.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. jmurphyguitar

jmurphyguitar TDPRI Member

Ahh that makes sense! Thank you

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah, I didn't know this Traynor and thought it was the other Trayor bass amp that's a copy of a Bassman/ Marshall.

I have an early Traynor guitar mate reverb with dual el84, nothing like either and probably a copy of the Deluxe reverb.
    Never saw Traynors as old as the one here though, and look for them.
    Cool stuff!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.