Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster - Marshall substitute?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telewacked, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

A month or so ago I was able to "steal" a YBA-1 from a local store...they had no idea what is was, felt the Blue Book value was incredibly low...and the rest is history.

Kind of a road warrior, had only one 6CA7 in it...I suspect that one was pulled to lower the volume...but all the tubes were original Phillips...

This thing is so loud, we really can't play it above about "1" in the basement. Yesterday we took it and a
    Traynor 6 - 10" cab (we had also "rescued") outside and frankly we couldn't get it much above "5" before our ears were bleeding...any distortion we heard had to be our ears!

I have worked out that this amp is probably a 1970, about the time that the Bassmaster "Mark II" came out and I am wondering if that is what this girl really is...90 watts RMS out of two 6CA7's...whew! No fan though, so maybe not...

This thing is really much too loud for anything my son and I will ever do, and am thinking of doing a master-volume mod on it, adding the control where I took out the ground switch.

2. cwadams

cwadams TDPRI Member

I bought a YBA-1 Bassmaster used back in '77 and used it about 15 years. Of course, that was back in the days when I'd try to make the audience's noses bleed! Loved the thing, but the wiring and tube sockets were getting brittle, so I got a wild hair and sold it. Been kicking myself ever since, sure wish I had it back.

3. kidcharlamaign

kidcharlamaign TDPRI Member

It's not really a substitute

I have a 73 YBA-1. I can only describe its tone as a blackface twin EQed with the full body of a plexi. I have never felt the need to mod it because it positively eats pedals and pre-amps like a fat man on a bag o chips. With a JMP-1 it will mock any marshall beautifully, and the rubber bumper variety is the perfect width box and clearance to mount it right in the head. It's an awesome tone base for any kind of external OD. It's so durable and reliable, it barely sweats while cranking out massive volumes of full bodied headroom.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I've had all versions of the YBA-1. The early ones without fan and aluminum trim are the best of the lot IMHO. The 1A has enormous transformers. There's a late version where they wimped out the transformers. I thinned the herd a bit, I kept my early ones. I sold a few of them to Dan Torres. Then the prices went up...

They're too clean compared to an old Marshall JMP for example. Plate voltage is high and the OT is oversized. I'd still grab a YBA-1 for $250.00.

I'd build a JMP clone rather than modding a Bass Master. For the same money I can get the transformer set I want and a Metro chassis. I can keep my cost low because I've been scrounging parts forever.

5. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

This is a great thread, but I'd point out that it's also a very old one! Posts 1-22 were made in 2003...

Cheers, Tim

6. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

I have a Bass Master II (with the fan) and it LOUD! It has a nice ringing quality to it. I love it with a Swamp Thang.

7. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

EDIT:
    :lol::lol: I just read this. It kinda makes what I initially wrote below seem pretty funny now!!:lol:

I guess I should learn to read the dates on the threads.

Hey I just gotta know is this guy who has the gear in Canada? More specifically British Columbia? I just had to ask because the coincidence is too bizarre. I just met a guy at a music store here over the weekend who has the same vintage Traynor gear that he is trying to sell. He was looking to buy the new Traynor YGM 3 RI.

It would be too weird if it was the same guy. I was interested in looking at the YSR-1.

9. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

Holy timewarp Batman! This stuff was done 5 and a half years ago.

10. lammy

lammy TDPRI Member

i was going to say! a bassmaster for 250! thats a steal these days.

11. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

When this thread was 'HOT', Tim Swartz, Paul in Colo, Tim Armstrong and Tremo were all newbies...makes me wonder when the TDPRI was born

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny, I fired up the ol' Bassmaster a week or so ago and fell in love with it all over. I just need a better speaker to use. I don't care if it sounds just like a Marshall or not, it sounds awesome. I patch a Real Tube Reverb unit between the channels and go to town. The RTR adds a touch of extra gain and a little more EQ control.

13. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Actually, it was just this version of the TDPRI that was relatively new, as Paul had done a major software and design change/upgrade not long before.

Paul (in Colorado) Honeycutt told me about the TDPRI a couple of weeks after Paul Green launched it from the ashes of the original TDP (wasn't that in 1998?).

Cheers, Tim

14. kidcharlamaign

kidcharlamaign TDPRI Member

It's an old thread but I love that amp. I like old music too.

15. banjovi800

banjovi800 TDPRI Member

I scored my YBA-1 Bass Master about 13 years ago for 175.00 included was the matching 15" speaker cab. Does anyone know who manufactured the stock speaker? Also how do you date these?

16. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Wow old thread revived once again!

Banjo, go here: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/

I am glad this site is still up after all this time. It's one of the only large vintage Traynor reference sites out there, even with the growing interest in them.

17. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

YBA-1 article in Vintage Guitar

Vintage guitar magazine March 2008 (Keith Nelson cover) page 40; "Amp-O-Rama" by Dave Hunter.

History, circuit survey, general talk on mods.

18. lammy

lammy TDPRI Member

It's alive!!!

19. Greenstax

Greenstax NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I know that this thread is really old but it contains something relevant to me that I haven't seen elsewhere so... sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing - I'm new.

Just bought a Traynor YBA-4 combo from Ebay - dead when I got it, but one quick solder later it's up and running and sounds amazing. It is stupidly loud though, particularly when trying to get it to break up.

A post above (somewhere in the mists of time) mentions pulling one of the power tubes / valves out to make it run quieter and presumeably break up at a m,ore acceptable volume... Will this work? and if so, is it good for the amp etc? Any advice appreciated and once again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Cheers

20. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's never to old for Traynor

This old thread added to my Traynor gass a while back and resulted in much tone joy! I found a 1969 YBA-1 Bassmaster Head that had been pro modded into a Marshall Plexi Clone. It has huge trannies and just kills for guitar when I jumper the two channels or using a single channel it maks a sweet tube tone bass head for classic rock gigs. The other example is my most recent find. Another 1969 but a Voicemaster instead. This one was also pro modded into: Ch. 1, 59 Fender Bassman
    Ch. 2, Marshall Plexi
    Ch. 3 & 4, Blended into a Trainwreck
    Very good on the ears,
    Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.