1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Traynor Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telewolf, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Haven't been inside a new one since Yorkville took over. I have been inside a few SS amps from the 70's or 80's, and a YCV40.

I am impressed by the quality of the components, the cabs, the layouts. I keep the old YGM3 Voicemate as a low footprint, backup.

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

The reissue YBA certainly doesn't pack as much iron. I don't recall the exact weight difference but it is substantial. I do love my reissue. I'm tempted to buy one of the original heads, I see them on Kijiji from time to time, but I've read they are extremely loud unless you get an attenuator and even then they are hard to tame.

3. RI G&L

RI G&L TDPRI Member

I have a 1969 Bass Mate 15-ish watt head, that I play through an Traynot 1X15 cab, which has a new Eminence in it. The amp actually was sitting in a friend's closet for years, and when her husband passed away (it was his father's), she sold it to me. When my amp-crazy buddy and I took it apart to assess what was up with it, we found one of the most pristine, clean, hand wired beauties that we had ever seen. The original schematic was taped to the top of the inside of the chassis. New filter caps and tubes, a three prong plug (it still had the original two-bagger!), new speaker in the cab, and the amp has been happily in gigging use for about 4 years now. I don't have good pix right now or I'd post them, of course! The thing is a tone machine, and is indeed built like a tank. I expect to get many more years out of it.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I thought I loved Traynor Amps when I bought a new YCV20WR several years ago. The more I used it, I started to realize I did not like it very much. Reverb over 2 was awful. Distortion started to grate on my nerves like a chainsaw. I sold it when I later discovered I loved classic Fender cleans with reverb and tremolo. The new Traynor recent model I owned was ok, but not great to me. Maybe the early models mentioned here are much better. Late 60's early 70's maybe. I have no history with the older stuff.

5. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

The company name has always been Yorkville Sound, originally an indie record label owned by Pete Traynor.

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had been reading about how the YBA-1 is like a Marshall JTM45, Plexi, or Bassman, but way cheaper, hand wired and built like a tank.

Yesterday I was in a music store by my house, and they have a used one from 1971. I plugged in for just a few minutes, playing fairly softly. Even from that brief amount of playing time I was absolutely convinced it's a killer amp. You could just tell by the solid, punchy attack.

Since then, I have been seriously thinking about going back to get it, even though I thought I was done buying amps.

7. vexed73

vexed73 TDPRI Member

Iused to have a ycv50 and loved it after a speaker change.

8. Stonehead

Stonehead TDPRI Member

I'm a YBA-1 Mod1 owner and I'll put my 2 cents in with the others to say it's a fantastic amp.
    They are now discontinued but you can still find the odd one for sale on line.

I've also owned the YGL-2 and the YCV20WR which are both great amps.

9. Teleman

Teleman Tele-Meister

I have both an iron horse and a dark horse. Both great sounding amps. Excellent build quality.

10. ac15

I have to say that after finally hearing what the YBA-1 can do, I'm amazed that all those guys who wish they had Plexis aren't snapping these up. They are still very "under the radar."

11. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Got mine last April and wish I would have got one a long time ago when people were practically giving them away. Even at the price they're commonly selling for these days they are a lot of amp for the money.

12. ac15

Just curious because of your user name....do you use it for bass too?

I've heard that they can be a lot louder for bass than you would expect, given the wattage.

I play bass and guitar, so I'm curious about that.

13. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Actually come to think of it I have not even tried running a bass through it, I have Mesa and SWR bass amps that are a bit more modern. My guess is if you jumpered the channels, cranked it up and drove the amp fairly hard you'd achieve a cool dirty garage bass thing.

14. mikhett

mikhett TDPRI Member

I have an original YGM-3

1973 about 22 watts with a pair of EL-84s.Great cleans reverb and vibrato.Doesnt do OD well.

15. ac15

Thanks. Please post again if you end up trying it. From what I have heard, it's not as farty or distorted as you'd expect. A couple of people said they kept up with some fairly loud bands. However, given the specs, that seems to defy the laws of wattage / acoustics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.