1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Traynor Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telewolf, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Telewolf

Telewolf TDPRI Member

Anyone have experience and or thoughts on Traynor Amps?

2. chago04

chago04 Tele-Meister

I have a Bassmaster that I absolutely love. Circuit is very close to a Tweed Bassman. The irons on that thing are spectacular. If you're talking about the newer amps, I don't have much experience but I sing praises of the older ones all day long.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Don't own but have played and tinkered with new ycv40rw, Dark Horse head and old ygm-3.

All sounded great, build quality/components on par if not better than most in their price range.

General opinion, they are great amps.

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Lovin' my old Bassmaster, great clean tones and beastly high volume sounds. Newer Traynor stuff I hear virtually nothing but high praise for.

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I have a YBA 1mod1. Fantastic amp and my main player. It's a reissue of the Bassmaster with a couple more options like built in attenuator, push pull controls for series or parallel blending of the two channels.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

I've had a YCV40T and still have a Darkhorse. They are a good amp and can be a steal used. I see YCV40s going for $300-350.

7. hoserton

hoserton Tele-Meister

I'm very happy with my Dark Horse and like that it was manufactured a couple of hours drive away from me.

8. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

They are, I think, one of the few names from that era.....whos modern day offerings are not all, total, 3/16 as good (at best) as the older model, complete disappointments.
    I have several Pete Traynor amps...and also a YCV-20, YCV-40, and one of The Horse models.
    The 20 and 40 are both the WR model. Very attractive amps as well as well made.
    good luck

9. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I have an Iron horse 40 w/15w and I love this amp. Nice big clean sound and the dirt channel is very nice and creamy. Not high gain like a Marshall. Good quality components and made in Canada. Good value in this amp.

10. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I had a couple of 2x12 combos many years ago. I don't remember the model names but they were very similar to a Twin and around 100watts if I remember correctly. Loud but HEAVY. All valve of course and truly excellent roadworthy amps. Wish I still had them.

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I have a '72 YGM-3 22W 1x12. Built like a tank, handwired with great reverb. Stock speakers are almost universally replaced ... I have a C.Rex in mine.

I like how mine gets louder to 6, then turning it up anymore just nudges one into velvetty overdrive.

12. Jasonyeah

Jasonyeah TDPRI Member

I've tried a few of their newer models and really liked them.

I had a Traynor YCV40 Wine Red and loved it. It would be comparable to a Hot Rod Deluxe (which I have now) but sounds better all around except for the reverb which was OK but not as much on tap as the HRDx.

A guy I play with has a blue Traynor YCV40 also really nice.

I tried a YCS90 in store and really liked it. A really diversity in sounds dial in though it looks a little weird.

Good amps and in Canada you can get great deals on them used.

13. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Most of us Canadian old timers have experience with Pete Traynors amps, and think highly of them. Yorkville Sound still make a high quality product, and still do it North America. I have little experience with their newer amps but hear good things about them, good value for the money too ( in Canada at least).

14. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I have a dark horse head, and use it a lot. It seems to do better with a bright speaker, especially on the low output setting. It does get a pretty good range of sounds and seems to be very high quality with a lot of options relative to other amps in a comparable price range.

15. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

I have a YBA-1 Mod 1 which is stellar. I have a one off transitional bassmaster combo again stellar. Made in Canada which is a bonus for me. Sound is great. I'd say if you're wanting "boutique" quality without the cost traynor is the way to go for sure.

16. Telewolf

Telewolf TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the responses thus far. I am probably looking at their new models when i get a chance.

17. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

if you can find one I really recommend the YBA-1 mod 1 they're a newer amp and sound fantastic.

18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have a '75 YBA1-A, it's an amazing amp. I used to have two, and sold one, and kick myself to this day.

19. NJ Tele

NJ Tele TDPRI Member

Love my YBA-1 Mod-1, can't say enough good things about it. If you have a Yorkville dealer near you they should be able to order you one.

20. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

They were a good amp back in the 70's. New ones don't seem that bad, just not that popular.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.