Traveler Guitar Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by royem, May 17, 2015.

1. royem

royem TDPRI Member

ok, now that I've gravitated so far into the world of electric guitars, I need to pick up something to take with me for traveling..... I am leaning toward Traveler guitars due to their portability and light weight but I don't know how to choose between these different models: the Ultra-light Electric, the Speedster and the Pro Series acoustic-electric.... I like a clean tele sound for what that's worth but I know I won't be duplicating that. Just hoping for something that might sound ok for live gigs or jams that may occur and some recording potential.

Thanks for sharing!

2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I used to travel a good bit for a previous job and always took my tele and my audio interface, studio on the road as it were.

I looked at the travel Martin and Baby Taylor but just figured I didn't need a 'travel' guitar when taking the tele was just as easy.

M

3. royem

royem TDPRI Member

I wish I could bring my tele along but I need something much lighter that I can lug around airports and whatnot. and that can stow in the overhead on planes!

4. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Never had a problem taking tele on with me. If there wasn't room in overhead they'd store it in the closet up front. But I understand.

Like I said, the Martin and Taylors look really good. If you're looking electric, I'm not too familiar but I know they're out there.

M

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

I have been using a Traveler for the past year & really like it for a few reasons:
    - durability
    - full-scale neck <== Most important to me
    - ability to plug in an external audio source, e.g. iPhone
    The downside is that the unplugged time is a bit thin and that's would definitely not use for gigs.

All in all, I think they are worth the purchase.

6. royem

royem TDPRI Member

nice! thanks for the input! and which model do you have?

7. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I have a Speedster and love it. It plays decently and has a headphone jack which I seldom use. The upper baut (why can't I remember how that is spelled right now?) is removable. It makes it much better to play like a real guitar but I usually leave it home, which greatly reduces the thickness. I put the guitar in a Martin Backpacker bag and use it as a carry on back with books etc. Without the baut it is easy to play sitting in a chair with arms.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

You can get away with this in the US because of law, but other places not so much. In Australia it goes below; there is no special dispensation, so it really depends on where you'll be going and how they treat musical instruments.
    My solution was a Steinberger copy and a suitcase large enough to pack it in along with my clothes.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are lots of ways to deal with a guitar addict's need to have a source of relief handy on airplane trips. On my last trip to Florida my solution was to hit a thrift store in Panama City and pick up a cheap plywood box to keep me company on our trip from Pensacola to Key West. The guitar cost me $20 and I paid another $6 for a set of strings. Sure was comforting to be able to sit on the balconies, decks and verandas of our accommodations and strum some tunes...

Alas, the guitar couldn't come home with me so I left it leaning against a rail along Highway One, hoping another traveler could get some smiles and add more mojo to the 6 string Gypsy.

Here it is posing on the balcony of one of our overnight stops and, finally, waiting to hitch a ride back to the mainland...:lol:

Attached Files:

10. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

How about a Yamaha Silent Series guitar?

[​IMG]

It breaks down and has a nice little travel bag.

11. mrBun

mrBun Tele-Meister

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have this:
    Amazon.com: Traveler Guitar Speedster Electric Travel Guitar, Gloss Black: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xENvXCtoL.@@AMEPARAM@@31xENvXCtoL

It lives in my trunk, along with a Danelectro battery-powered mini-amp, so I can easily practice while sitting in the car, even with the windows up. I chose this over a Steinberger because I figured the forearm of my picking hand would rather have a place to rest rather than float in air. The detachable "wing" provides that.

It plays very nicely and sounds great. The only downside that I've found is tuning is a bit of a challenge (although it holds tune great)

13. royem

royem TDPRI Member

I want to thank you all for your input! I went in a little different direction than what I was thinking yesterday at this time and ordered a Steinberger Spirit after looking at a few more reviews. The real clincher for me was its tremolo! Then I ordered a Danelectro mini amp so I will be good to go real soon! thanks again good people!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.