travel rigs (somewhat of a rant)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tfarny, Jul 8, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

So, I'm going abroad for work for a few weeks but I think I'll have significant down time. I've determined I'm going to bring a tele with me - just remove the neck and stick it in my luggage. I've done this a couple of times before when I don't need to travel real light, someday I'll have an extra small guitar for travel but it's nice just to have a real one and be done with it.

I have a couple of options for amplification, but I always want to travel light so I bought Amplitube from Sweetwater, planning to bring along my little recording interface and use the computer for my practice amp - and...I hate it. Took a while to get the whole driver thing sorted out (still don't know what I did) - now it works but it has huge latency issues, which maybe I could fix, given lots of trial and error, but I am just SO burned out on stupid computer nonsense. Playing guitar is when I don't have to look at a screen!

So I was moping around in my attic / guitar junk area and rediscovered my Joyo American sound (I also have an Ammoon AC Tone). Plugged it into my stereo - and it sounds killer, like I'd remembered but forgot. And I have a little portable Bose speaker, the kind you keep in your kitchen, takes up no space. So I plugged it into the Joyo! I like it far better than the Blackstar Fly 3, actually I'm very pleased with how it sounds. I don't need effects or other junk to practice with, just a decent amp tone and a good guitar. I might take along my Digitech Trio (fake drum and bass thing) too just for good measure.

igor5 and NothingGoatboat like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's a good story, and one I can learn from.

So was it a rant about Amplitube, or about forgetting what you already own that works? The second part is where I can relate. :)

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Um, I guess both? I can feel my snobbery kicking in about the Joyo pedal (I paid $20 for mine) - yet I have to admit I really like the sound that comes out of it. I don't normally "go direct" so I haven't used it much, and it doesn't have the cab sim defeat switch like the Tech21 Blonde does, so I never use it on my pedalboard. Dang it sounds good into my big old fashioned stereo, though. Not as good as the real thing - but really good.

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

A looper would be a good friend. My Jamman is incredible.. Stick in s 32g micro card and you have HOURS OF TIME. It's crazy good.... Got wav. Backing tracks? Install their librarian and load them up. I have 21 full on songs from my BIAB loaded on mine and it has barely touched the capacity.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I recently got a DigiTech RP 360 to use for home practice through my studio monitors. Danged if it doesn't work for gigging, too. I'm not ready to throw out my amps and pedals, but it sure makes it easy to travel with. I found a little bag at the thrift store to carry it along with the power supply and cables. It has some built in drums, but no bass or backing tracks. I got it for less then I've paid for some single pedals. Technology is really coming along.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I messed around with Amplitube again today, and it was back to square one, non functional. Someday I'll figure it out, but the whole experience just makes me want to throw my computer against the wall. So my travel rig will be Digitech Trio, Joyo American sound, and a Bose portable speaker. Plus a real guitar.

7. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Slight digression from the core of this post, but.......

This was my former travel guitar. Unbolt the neck and it fit in my carry-on bag along with clothes for a 5-day, 4-night work trip. Built-in amp/speaker sounded like crap as you'd expect but it was good enough for hotel rooms. Several times I found open mics or blues jams near where I was working and it did the trick for that. Most importantly, it stayed in tune even with the trem bridge and super-short scale. This was around 2006 so there was nothing like a Joyo American Sound (or AC that I have now) much less software I could load on my work computer.

Fernandes Nomad Full.jpg

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use to use a splitter and use
    the Tom Scholz rockman. back in the day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.