Transparent overdrive to stack for solos?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Pedalmaus, Oct 6, 2016.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I also use a Seymour Pickup booster in front of several other drive pedals so it all hits the front of the amp harder. If your pickups are hot enough just the pickup booster hitting the front end of the amp might be a distortion kinda sorta. ;)

2. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

TC Electronic MOJOMOJO. Very transparent.

3. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I'm not surprised that lots of folks have suggested the Timmy, since it appears to be the default "transparent" drive. Unfortunately, sincerely I live in the UK, I've never even seen a Timmy in the flesh, let alone tried one out.

I am surprised that lots of folks have recommended pedals which are not in the slightest transparent.

My recommendation is the Wampler Euphoria. It can be set up 100% transparent - by that I mean that you can't hear a difference when it's switched on or off. It is the most transparent pedal I've owned. However, you can also push the gain - there is a considerable amount of gain available if you need it. You can also push the bass a little to fill out the sound.

As a solo boost, where you have total control over any extra volume and gain the Euphoria adds to your existing sound, I haven't found anything to equal the Euphoria.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps email Paul Cochrane directly about getting one.

I get that we all have different definitions of 'transparent'. And everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion. But how does this one work? Who wants a pedal that changes NOTHING? Meaning, to dial in a useful tone, you're moving away from your 'transparency' with any pedal. Dialing in a pedal so that it does nothing doesn't seem to be a good indicator of how it will sound when dialing in the tone I actually bought the pedal for.

To me, transparent means that the overdrive sounds native to my amp, but at a level where my amp is still clean. In other words, adds grit / clipping, and leaves the EQ/tone untouched.

I owned and played an Ecstasy / Euphoria for 2-3 years, and I think I get how some folks call it transparent. I think it might sound that way, if I were playing a Dumble. It's got that D-ish flavor, to me. So, not transparent. But closer than most. And of course, by my definition, it depends on your amp. Which interestingly no one ever mentions.

5. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

In theory, a clean boost in front of those pedals would give you more of the grit of those pedals. I used an EHX lpb-1 for that. Works great $40!

I currently have a porkloin, and it will not do what you want here. It is a pre-amp and has a lot of tone controls. It will most definitely affect your ods' tonez.

I would recommend the Fulltone Fat Boost 3. I loved that pedal when I had it. It is very versatile. It can be a clean boost or add more grit depending on how you set it.

6. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Timmy is the best. I leave it on all the time. I add the Maxon od808 for lead or sometimes the zvex fuzzolo. Can't beat Timmy for transparent od.

awasson likes this.
  7. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

My take on what a Transparent Pedal is ( I don't like that term ) to first find the sound/volume ect on your amp that you want, and then add the so called Transparent pedal.... Then you must dial in the Pedal to Meet Unity Gain, and also with the Same Voicing, and without losing Harmonics... Which IMHO is 1 of the hardest things to do. Few pedals actually do it.

You can A/B the Amp/Pedal by turning the Pedal On/Off and scrutinizing the Voicing, output/Gain, similarities/differences, whatever they may, or may not be.

When you hear No Difference when A/B IMHO That's Transparent.

Now what does that matter ??? It makes it easier to drive the amp with a pedal, and gives you More of what your amp is without having to up the volume control to obtain more breakup/distortion, hair/grit. Just a slight boost ect.

But IMHO a well designed Drive pedal should be able to do many things.

Since youre in the UK look into the new Roger Mayer 4644 Drive. It isn't cheap, but I cant say enough good about it. Its my favorite Drive, and another 1 will have to go a long way to knock this 1 off. They just came out this year.

I'm also not going to say this is the best drive ever made as there is no such thing. If that was the case Hendrix wouldn't have been constantly looking, and searching his/Mayers brain for new ways to get gain/drive/distortion/sounds.

But for a Base Drive, this 1 has ended my search. It also works well with other pedals, and in particular Digital. The 4644, and the 615 Limiter, have both been optimized for Digital Gear.

Also while the Tone control also works as an EQ for the pups, it of course works as a Tone Control.

The pedals Output/Gain is useful throught the entire range, and there are never any sudden increases/decreases with the Output/Gain controls. This pedal cant do Mud, and while it can get Very Bright, there is no Ice Pick, and this control works really well with Tele/Strat Bridge Pups.

Also this pedal is much more than a potential Transparent Drive. Read up on it.

Guitar Effects Pedals & Recording by Roger Mayer - 4644 Drive
    www.roger-mayer.co.uk/4644.htm

[​IMG]

Feed forward (control) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed_forward_(control)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I use this also. Gooses my OCD clone nicely...

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  9. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I got one of the first Danelectro Transparent Overdrives for this

10. Pedalmaus

Pedalmaus TDPRI Member

Thanks again guys, I got a good price on a second hand TC Electronics Spark Boost so I'm currently giving that a go. It has a nice boost but not as much sustain as the Boss Turbo Overdrive - guess that's the payoff for a neutral OD perhaps.

11. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I have the TC Spark and the gain knob can add a bit of dirt but the fat switch might give you the extra push you want too. it really depends on how you want to hear your tones... every pedal will color the tone a bit. The Caroline haymaker has a pretty good transparent setting but has a grit knob and gain to allow for tweaking the breakup. I use that as my main OD but I think it could stack

12. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I'm using a Rocktron Austin Gold to push my OD3 into nearly infinite sustain. It takes the OD3 into creamy 59 Bassman dimed territory.

13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Just got a Timmy but I'm probably using it in an opposite way than most...I have it going INTO another overdrive pedal to give it a little extra sustain and overdrive for solos.

I'm also using the Timmy on its own to give a slight volume boost and edge-of-breakup tone to solos and rhythm playing. It works really, really well in this application.

The Timmy sounds really good with the gain up also. I'm still playing around with it but for what I needed it for...slight volume boost with slight overdrive and for pushing another overdrive for singing lead guitar sustain...it's perfect.

awasson likes this.
  14. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Graphic EQ pedal. :D

15. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Yes graphic pedal if you want volume boost plus you can also boost certain frequencies if u want. But if you want some more grit drive and sustain another od pedal before your main od will do it. You just have to find the right pedal. Typically a TS will do the job so as the SD1, OD3, the OCD is also very good but its a waste to use the ocd just as a boost since its capable of almost high gain. Ymmv

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Sparkle Drive after your current drives. Clean blend is key to letting your main drive sound through then just mixing in more gain and vol with that.

Bass Soul Food also has that same clean blend feature.

17. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Another vote for the Timmy. Better late than never...

The Timmy is what every distortion/overdrive promises to be. Use it with a little gain and it's nice, turn it up and add a little bass cut and it just gets better. It seems to stack well with my TS9 and Boss DS1 (Keeley) too but since I got it, I rarely use anything else. Super crunchy for rhythm.

18. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

I'm using a BD-2 for this.

19. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

I have not read anyone elses Posts, but my recommendation is for 'transparent' over drives, Use a Wampler Euphoria, or a Zendrive by Lovepedal. But if you are just looking for a boost, you can get the Xotic booster. It will add a bit of a mid hump that will make solos stand out more.

Or if you just want a straight clean boost with no tonal change, get a Wampler Ego Compressor, set the Level to taste, keep the blend all the way to the left, attack and tone to taste. This will give you a super great clean boost, and you also got a compressor should you ever need it!

Another option is the TC Electronics Spark booster or Mini spark. But i've never tried nor do I have experience with them. I see them on pedal boards a lot, especially the mini. Very small footprint.

CAAD8N8 and uriah1 like this.
  20. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Tele (bridge pu) > BD-2 (gain 12h) [gain boost ... stacking] > TS9 mini (gain 10h) > Flashback mini (slapback) > AC15 (top boost) ... that's my sound :)
    PS: I use a lot volume pot :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.