Transparent overdrive to stack for solos?

Pedalmaus

TDPRI Member
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you have any pedal recommendations for using one transparent overdrive as a solo boost that I can use independently with two different drive pedals please?

To clarify, I play guitar in a trio through a clean amp (whatever house amp venue has) where half of the set is modern rock (I use the Wampler Plextortion overdrive pedal) and half is old-school blues (I use the Wampler Clarksdale for this). I like to stack a second drive on top for solos for some extra grit, sustain, and volume (find that a boost pedal doesn't give me enough grit). Currently I use a Boss Turbo Overdrive for this which is fine with the Plextortion but a bit over the top for the Clarksdale.

Space on my pedal board is limited so I was wondering if there's one transparent overdrive pedal that will stack with either of these for solos and give me some extra dirt, sustain, and volume but not change the 'voice' of the original pedal?

I have researched old threads and see lots of familiar pedals come up - Soul Food, TC Spark Booster, Pork Loin, Timmy, Sex Drive, Fulltone Fat Boost etc. What do you guys think?

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I have the Soul Food and with the drive down and the volume up it gives a quite transparent (to my ears anyway) boost. I've heard good things about the TC Spark as well.

Pedalmaus

TDPRI Member
Thanks guys, I definitely need some extra overdrive too rather than just a clean boost, but overdrive that doesn't colour the original sound of my Plextortion and Clarksdale.

pokett

TDPRI Member
Thanks guys, I definitely need some extra overdrive too rather than just a clean boost, but overdrive that doesn't colour the original sound of my Plextortion and Clarksdale.

Definitely look at the Soul Food, but you might also look at the "Bass" Soul Food which adds a blend knob so you can blend in the overdriven signal. Might help you find that balance of additional gain without coloring the other pedal.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's

The Soul Food is an overdrive. It can be used as a clean boost or to add dirt as well as volume. It's quite versatile. I use it instead of a Tube Screamer when I don't want the cut bass and boosted mids of the TS. I also stack them together sometimes as well.

With an amp set on the edge of breakup, even a clean boost will add some distortion along with volume depending on how it is used.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Timmy is hands down the most transparent. Lots of grit on tap. Three clipping options (changes the size of the chunks in the salsa, not the flavor).

RC Boost is close, if not just as transparent, but it doesn't have the clipping choices. Not as much grit available either, but stacked I'd be surprised if it wasn't enough.

In my opinion the Soul Food is every bit as transparent as a Tubescreamer, which is to say not at all.

Welcome to the forum!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Also when stacking pedals I find that the pedal that comes later in the chain tends to color the sound the most.

When I stack the Soul Food into the TS it sounds more like the tube screamer than it does the Soul Food. It just adds "Umph!" to it.

YMMV.

jonrpick

Friend of Leo's
I found that a clean boost *did* add distortion. Think about it, you're pushing the front of the following pedal harder.

My Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster definitely adds more grit to my TS pedals.

Pedalmaus

TDPRI Member
I haven't owned a Soul Food but I have a Wampler Euphora which is pretty transparent to me.

Was just looking at the Euphora, I've had good luck with Wampler pedals so far. I've read that it has more grit available than a Timmy. Can the Euphoria take a drive into Ace Frehley/Slash type of sustain and drive?

Redvers

Tele-Meister
If you're just boosting OD's I would use something clean and glassy. I built a 'Quiet boost' a while back, like an SHO without the crackle. It's a perfect 'more' booster, and more chance of it working with both pedals if it's super clean.

Any mosfet based boost would work.

texastengu

Tele-Holic
Can't say I'm too familiar with Kiss or GNR. I've been playing a Mesa so haven't been using the pedal much but I've had it up to the sound of a highly driven amp, like a Dumble's rumble...