"Transparent" OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, May 1, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

My apologies if this has been covered like a bad Wonderwall or Stairway...

Just got an EM Drive. Was looking for secret sauce, if you will. Am I a victim of a clever marketing scam?

The pedal actually sounds good, but really not sure if it "does" anything. Lol.

Save your sarcastic negative comments for someone else... Those who know what I mean, know what I mean. Know what I mean?

:)

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So, we can reply, but it cant be sarcastic? Exactly how are we supposed to do that? Oh, wait I see its a paradox thread! Thats clever!

Is the EM drive a Klone? Klon based?

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

yes to your first question. the em drive is a cut down lpb-1 boost ...

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

No, I think those are more gain and mid bump.

Played around some more tonight.. Starting to figure it out I think. Seems like maybe the idea is to have the front end of your amp attached to the board. Like a "volume" or gain pot. This is actually extremely useful.

It's definitely simple and well made, just not exactly an exciting pedal to drop $200 on. However, it's staying for now... And I'm not one to shy away from rash decisions which include ripping a pedal off my board immediately.

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

The best transparent OD I've ever tried was actually the cheapest of them all.

if you can find a Danelectro Transparent OD V1 or even V2, you'll be hard pressed to spend any more money.. and apparently, its a clone of a Timmy.

Shuster, Mike Eskimo and uriah1 like this.
  6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

If you play with a band, and have rhythm and lead parts, a “transparent” boost is IMHO the most important pedal on your board. There’s bound to be places where you have to be heard above the rest of the band, and places where you have to blend in the mix, and the boost is the most practical way to do that in a reliable way (I have never been good at riding the volume knob on the fly…).

Besides, as you surely know, what a boost does depends entirely on what amp it sits before, and whether that amp is cranked. Before a cranked tube amp, it acts like (read: is) an overdrive (although for this application, overdrive pedals have tone-shaping characteristics that make them less transparent but also may make them more desirable). Or you can place it before another OD pedal with some gain on, and get a kick in both volume and distortion.

Hope this addresses your (implicit) questions!

heffus likes this.
  7. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

As the LPB has only a few resistors, 2 caps and 1 transistor a cut down one must be just a box.

Just looked one up out of curiosity. An LPB with a drive pot. Absolutely staggered by the asking price!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    MilwMark likes this.
  8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

the paramount is the same circuit with the ability to blend between two different input caps and some basic power filtering ... I want to say the lollygagger canaglia is something similarly simple (lpb-1 type boost into clipping diodes into sho style mosfet boost) but housed in a beautiful wooden enclosure and full of orange drop caps ... and of course most of the lovepedal line are various takes on the electra distortion. don't get me wrong, their simplicity doesn't detract from the end result in sound and if that sound is IT for you then the price doesn't really matter

9. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I have a Timmy, perhaps the king of transparent ODs. I find it useful to bring the output of my Tele up to that of my P90 and HB-equipped guitars, also to do a little tone shaping. I used to use it as an always-on grit pedal, but I've found other pedals I like better for that purpose. I've also looked at the EM drive, but I think it would serve the same purpose as the Timmy

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

An OD, by definition, isn't going to be transparent. Now, if it's a transparent boost you want:
    upload_2019-5-2_7-58-34.png

The slider on the rightmost side decides what level of boost you want, the other ones work in unison to keep it "transparent".
    30 bucks.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Dano Transparent OD V1

No waiting lists, $40 used, brilliant.

Tone knobs are a pain in the ass but it’s a straight up Timmy clone and it does that thing as well as anything out there.

Shuster likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Stuff like the LPB-1 is nowhere near transparent.

Something that uses a really well designed OpAmp will be a lot more transparent.

13. blowtorch

You guys talking Danelectro, which one are you talking about?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've got both, and while I like them both (like the silver one quite a bit more) neither are "transparent" at all. Regardless of the gold one having the word right on the label

14. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

both ar great....ask your pocket wich one

and this one is good too

Frontier9 and kevsonic like this.
  15. blowtorch

Agree those are great, I own the Joyo.
    NOT transparent, at all , though

16. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Some people simply use transparent meaning low gain.

I always understood "transparent OD" as something that is both light gain but doesn't change the EQ (at least not very much).

Both the Joyo Sweet Baby and the original Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD cut a heck of a low end.

The Timmy can be "transparent", but it can be very untransparent (opaque? :)) too if you wish.

AlbertaGriff and blowtorch like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

As noted above, the Timmy is very transparent (you can add gain, or "juice", without changing your base tone.
    Another one I have been going back to more lately for this is the Boss Blues Driver (BD2). It is a great pedal.

18. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I think it's important not to get too hung up on whether something meets some criteria for "transparency", which is a well-defined term when applied to a visual element but is used as nothing but metaphor in sound, and therefore in this context can only be loosely defined anyway.

I have a Timmy and a Gain Changer. They both sound "transparent", in the sense that many sonic aspects of the guitar, amp, and my phrasing are abundantly clear through them. And yet they don't sound like one another even at similar settings. It's just not worth losing any sleep over it. They both have pretty dramatic EQ abilities, which I guess can only be considered coloration (again with the metaphors). Whatevs. Play what you think sounds good.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  19. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

(Do not adjust your screen. The above post is transparent.)

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

In your photos the gold one is the Timmy clone. I have one of those and a Timmy too. My Danelectro seems to have more gain than the Timmy, but it's still a great pedal. To add to the confusion, the gold Version 2 is not a Timmy clone. Like so...[​IMG]

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.