Transol Solvent Dyes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Skip Ellis, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Skip Ellis

Skip Ellis Tele-Meister

Accidentally ordered this instead of water based. It mixes with all kinds of alcohols and MEK. Has anyone used this brand and what results did you have? I'm going for a PRS 'tiger eye' type finish.

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

By reputation they are excellent, and IIRC can used to tint lacquer or to prep wood before the finish goes on.

3. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I far prefer denatured alcohol dye mix to water. It is pretty standard to do so with trans dyes.

Eric

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

No experience with those dyes, but I did an experiment with the Colortone dyes by diluting them with both water and with denatured alcohol to make my stains. In my case the DNA stains seemed to be a little bit more vibrant in color and I have standardized on DNA as the solvent. I shoot lacquer over my stains and always apply a vinyl seal coat.

However in a seminar on staining presented at the Guild of American Lutherie convention, James Condino says he prefers water for the solvent because he is going to FP over the stains and does not want the alcohol in the FP to pull back the colors.

My only advice is to experiment with your stains on scraps of the same wood to see what works best for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.