TRANSISTOR amp for recording and home

Don Mare

Tele-Afflicted
seeking a better TRANSISTOR amp for recording and home - no power needed for stage - I like Vintage amps (Tubes) But they seem to need about 3 Trips to the Tech each go-round and my ears are dying using Stage Volume to hear Pickups correctly = help?

generic202

Tele-Meister
Bluguitar Amp1. It's all analog transistor (plus a miniature tube) amp in a pedal format.

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
You can get a number of SS and Hybrid amps that are about the size of a small cigar box ... Orange, Quilter. TC etc. Most of them have Low Z XLR jacks that can be connected directly to your mixing board or what ever. I have tried a few of them in some local music stores and they don't sound bad at all. I was toying around with the idea of putting one on my pedal board and then direct to the PA system .... I'm really getting sick of lugging a ton of stuff to small gigs, open mic situations and recording sessions. You just have to try a few to find what you like. All of my amps except 1 are tube but the newer solid state amps are starting to sound just as good ....In fact blindfold tests show that 95% of guitarists can't tell the difference. So find yourself a s small "cigar box" amp with the right out puts and have at it.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

^^^This^^^

The Hotone Nano heads don't just sound good for solid state, they sound really good full stop.

Into a 1x10" cab and you have a really neat little setup. They have a line/headphone out ( not compensated/cab-em ), or use an inline DI to your interface.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Have had the Quilter Mini Reverb 101 for a few weeks now. Was aggravated over another Vox tube amp blowout. Nice features, including effects loop. Couldn't be happier, might be worth a look for you.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I'll second the Quilter Mini. Mine is the older non-reverb version. The BF/SF Fender sim sounds pretty good and you also have the option of plugging into the FX return thus bypassing all the amp's tone shaping for a flatter response. I use an open back 1X12 cab and do most of my at home playing at conversation level. Also important to point out the Quilter amps are not digital modelers. They are analog circuits coupled to a class D power amp. Not for everybody but mine has given me good service. I mic it into a Focusrite interface for recording.

Last edited:

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I don''t have a horse in this race but, I have a small Fender Combo that Mic's well with good-ish Tone.

markal

Tele-Afflicted
For this use, I’d look first at the Strymon Iridium. I just like what I’ve heard in demo videos and reviews seem to be good. A Quilter Superblock would be in my short list as well. Good luck.

0utputXfmr

Tele-Meister
seeking a better TRANSISTOR amp for recording and home - no power needed for stage - I like Vintage amps (Tubes) But they seem to need about 3 Trips to the Tech each go-round and my ears are dying using Stage Volume to hear Pickups correctly = help?
It's a hybrid (tube preamp, Class D solid-state power amp), and it's not cheap, but I might suggest the Ironheart IRT-SLS by Laney. Before you dismiss it as a "metal" amp, it's worth noting that the clean channel and rhythm channel are quite good! Plenty of connectivity options, as shown in the back panel below.
laney-irt-sls.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I use my Quilter Tone Block 202 for this purpose, XLR out the back into an audio interface works a treat! If you're used to amp overdrive, you'll need a tube preamp pedal to get the same sponginess of compression and a warmer tone.

Other option is using an attenuator with a DI out on your vintage amps or one of the many DI pedals out there to forgo the amps entirely.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
The Ethos Amp. Not sure what kind of music or tone you're after, but this is sort of the Dumble thing. It does a great fender, which is what the Dumble is based on.