Transformer and tube placement - mostly Maggie amp

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jeff_e, May 23, 2020.

1. jeff_e

jeff_e TDPRI Member

So, I'm messing with headphones to figure out the best spot for the output. In line with the power transformer and about 4" away , the hum drops down and doesn't change a whole lot out to the far edge.

I could put it way over, but where does that start to cause other issues..

I'm thinking 6v6 kind of in line with where the output is and preamp tube a couple inches over. Does spreading things out a lot possibly cause noise with long leads?

It's a 13.5" chassis. I guess I'm looking for some guidance and experiences so I don't get hung up for too long...
    Thanks

2. jeff_e

jeff_e TDPRI Member

Sorry, here's the pic

IMG_20200523_150555755~2.jpg

3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've built some dead quiet 5f2a Princetons with the transformers nearly touching. I guess it's only an issue if it is one? I wouldn't worry too much unless it's causing problems and you are sure it's the reason.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

I like the layout. Looks nice and clean!

Off topic, but any reason you didn’t place a turret on the other side of the dropping resistor attached to a jumper wire? A turret would help keep it mechanically fixed, whereas the wire may let it move around too much and could cause the joint to fail. It doesn’t look like it’s too late to drill a hole and stake a turret.

5. jeff_e

jeff_e TDPRI Member

Thanks, that's good to know. The copper shield on the PT seems to help a lot vs a Hammond I have.

Thanks, yeah, I will do that... It does look funny the way it is.

This has been sitting in a drawer for a long time, getting back to it.. I wish I had left some lead length for expansion. I do have another 470 cathode resistor handy , so I may swap that out. Nothing is soldered yet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.