Transfering Lyrics to an iPad

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I just ordered an iPad to put my lyrics on and also to use to control the PA mixer. Being an luddite when it comes to these things, how do I get the lyrics from my PC to the iPad? The less typing the better.

Yeah, I am that clueless. :D

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

i just usually email stuff but our band uses a shared Dropbox folder with a OnSong app.

What format are the lyrics in currently. Do you have an app in mind that you want to view them in?

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Yeah Dropbox and iPads get along wonderfully. I use Dropbox to transfer. You can also take a photo of a chart (if you gotta on the fly), scan and convert it to pdf in DB, and save it straight to your program of choice. I use fourscore primarily. 1chart is good for writing number charts too. And ireal pro is great for standards, if you have a need for those.

4. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I found that using my tablet (android, not iPad) to display charts and to control my mixer really didn't work all that well, switching from the chart software to the mixer app took longer than I had hoped and often the mixer app needed to reconnect.

I ended up getting a second tablet to run the mixer, that works well.

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I maintain my master list of songs in Powerpoint (could do this in Word also)...about 300 songs. Each slide is one song. Some have lyrics, some have chord changes, hooks, performance notes, annotations, arrows, circles, etc...just depends on the song. I use a black background and white text.

When a gig comes around I make a copy of the master list and rename it 'Set list - March 5, 2019.pptx'. Then I reorder the slides as appropriate for the gig. I save it. Then I save it again, this time as a pdf. I email the pdf to myself. This is all done on computer up to this point.

Then I fire up the ipad, open the email I just sent, and download the attached pdf in iBooks (free ereader...I think it came installed on the iPad).

At the gig, I access the songs sheets as needed using iBooks on the iPad. I flip through them in order, but if a song request comes up I can search all 300 by keywords like "Mustang" or "Sally" and go right to that result.

I have a separate stand for the iPad...basically a mic stand without a gooseneck or boom attached. I can easily move it to the side when not using it. I prefer to not have the iPad attached to the same stand as my microphone.

Some screenshots of what my slides look like are attached here.

Slide4.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide1.JPG Slide3.JPG

Random1643 and Buzzgrowl like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks, everyone!

I have a Dropbox account. Most of my stuff is in Libre Office which is kind of a Word analog. I don't need the words to every song I play, mostly some reminders for when I haven't done something in a while or new songs. I don't know what app I'll be using. Suggestions?

The main goal is to retire the big ugly music stand and flop-in-the-breeze notebook.

I recently played with a guy who used a small iPad for everything and would stop playing to scroll his lyric sheet. Not too professional to my mind.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Paul, the singer in my country band uses some app that has a scrolling feature, it scrolls the lyrics slowly like a teleprompter, he says there’s also a foot pedal attachment available to scroll manually without using your hands. I don’t remember what the app is, but those tools are out there.

DonM likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

OnSong does that. Not cheap though.

I just use the free iBooks app if I need notes. PDF made to fit one page.

Plumber, Buzzgrowl and dannyh like this.
  9. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

10. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I am watching this post with interest as I am always looking for a better solution for managing charts on an ipad.

If you just want lyrics only, it may be more achievable. For charts with lyrics and chords OnSong is good (may even be the best) but it takes a lot of work to convert or create songs into the OnSong format. The main benefit of doing so is to be able to transpose to different keys on the spot.

If you don't need to change keys OnSong will reliably display pdf documents (and less reliably word documents).

I am involved in a regular jam night with a house band that back singers. Good charts including time sigs and bars facilitate great music but the charts require lots of time and effort.

I struggle with OnSong but have yet to find something better!

Of course the other downside of using an ipad is that it become harder and harder to remember the words and chords. So beware!

Cheers

Boil and Buzzgrowl like this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well another way to move the rock.

Open a Google account, if you don't already have one, along with a google email. Included is Google Drive.

Start a lyrics folder on your PC or MAC, fill it up with your favorite lyrics , word files, images etc, whatever.

Go to your Google account, create a lyrics Folder in Drive, upload all the lyrics files from your PC/MAc folder to the Lyrics folder in Google DRIVE.

IF your IPAD is Google linked, the Folder is now available on your Ipad. If you want the files to be available OFF LINE, there is a little software button with each file, 'keep off line" . This avoids having an internet connection to open the files on a gig.

The nice thing about Google Drive is that it is also linked to your Iphone or Android phone, ( if you choose) so if you access DRIVE on your phone, your lyrics are there. MUCH smaller but yet still there !

Create a folder with your lyrics on your PC or MAC first, move them to the Google Drive Folder, from there it's all downhill.

Plus they are backed up forever.

Piece of Cake !

Just remember to make sure your Ipad is not using all of it's battery power for other apps and allows the battery to run out during a show ! reading lyrics or charts is very difficult when the screen goes black !

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and brbadg like this.
  12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I write my sheets as an Open Office doc.file and transform them into pdf-format when finished.
    Then I transfer them from laptop to tablet via USB-connection just copy and paste the file via file-manager or send them via bluetooth from my tablet to another tablet (that's when I share files with our singer);
    I bought Mobile Sheet Pro, which works fine; you can convert the pdf-files into Mobile Sheet Pro format, do setlists, have certain notes on either the songs or the setlists (I usually have notes for my effects/effects-settings for each song).
    Works for me.

Boil likes this.
  13. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

This is a huge downside and while the resulting performances may be technically correct, energy levels can suffer.

Harry Styron, Boil and T Prior like this.
  14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

And this, while I am not the front singer, I do sing a few.

My wife tells me I can't even read the words correctly when I use the Ipad ! I think she is right !

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Paul, if all your notes for a song fit on one page, and you don't need the lyrics to scroll automatically in synch with your performance, then iBooks would work. You may have to save the Libre documents to pdf format. I keep several owners manuals (e.g. for the mixer) in iBooks as well for reference as needed. Since iBooks is free (maybe even comes on the iPad...can't recall), it might at least be a good thing to try first.

You may want to also consider an accessory such as the iKlip:
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklip2/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  16. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Excellent point about the battery I got some 10' USB cables so I can power mine if I have to, I got 5 actually so I can power other people's too, they were cheap-ish.

It's also good to note that tablets can be hard to read in sunlight so put the person with the best memory in the sun and everyone else in the shade.

17. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

We use Mobile Sheets too, it's a great program, sadly not available for the iPad, I stay away from .pdf files as you can not transpose them on the fly as you can do with .txt files.

I use my page turner to flip pages on my tablet, my other guitarist's tablet and the drummers tablet, the other two guys turn their own.

We're using Dropbox for distributing charts and I also store a backup of my MS database there just in case.
    As far as backups go I do that regularly as I manage the drummers tablet so I just do a restore from my backup to keep things in sync, the others just give me a blank look when I ask them about backups and I end up backing theirs up at practice.

You can store a lot of chart specific info, capo position, notes made during practice, etc etc as meta data but for example if I decide to capo and the other guitarist's decides to transpose your MS databases are now out of sync and if his crashes and he hasn't backed up he could restore from my DB but he will lose all his meta data.

Going to get on their case now :)

18. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Yes this is true.

19. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’ve used Onsong for 5 yrs or more. Typically I highlight a new song copy and paste into Onsong. Once there I correct it and make my personal arrangement. Onsong also has an interface where you can edit on the PC, with instant saving to a connected iPad.

I format for a large text size and use the iPad on its side. Onsong has a scrolling function which I use because in allows much larger text. It can scroll the song time based or scroll to length of background music.

For the band an HDMI feed from the iPad to a 24” monitor on a stand out front.

Onsong easily makes set lists you can play through.

brbadg likes this.
  20. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

It's a piece of cake with my android/lenovo tablet :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.