Transcribing the right notes at the wrong places.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by LeftyBlues, Aug 5, 2021.

1. LeftyBlues

LeftyBlues TDPRI Member

Hey yall,

Back on my transcribing kick, trying to figure out Blackbird particularly rn. Like usual, I can figure out "ahh this is a B note here" and then I find out its not the correct place to play or maybe the treble note is right but the bass note isn't.

Also note that I use Transcribe! Software.

Does anyone have advice for transcribing a song like this that doesn't necessarily follow a scale pattern or use traditional chords (no open chords, barre chords, or triads i know). Any advice is greatly appreciated as usual!

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

for me it is trial and error... how many time i have transcribed licks in the wrong place and then notice oooohhh nooo.....

3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I think that might be tough to accurately transcribe because Paul used a weird clawhammer technique to emulate finger picking.

I would start with the 'bass' line, then fill in the gaps. That lower note will help you figure out what's on top.

Do you want some hints on how it goes? I would just post them but it seems like you want to be challenged.

loopfinding and LeftyBlues like this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

…or you can watch the guy who wrote the song play it live. Here’s one YouTube- there’s plenty out there:

Wally likes this.
  5. LeftyBlues

LeftyBlues TDPRI Member

You guessed correct on the challenge. I am trying my best to improve my transcribing ability with songs that aren't just 4 chord strum-a-longs. That said, do you believe the technique in this song is weird enough to Warrent learning by video, as in an exception? I really prefer not to do this but if it is so out there and abnormal I'm not necessarily against it then.

Hey yeah, i get tempted with the videos but I really try to avoid them to hone my ability. I really want to be good enough that video is an absolute last resort for abnormal technique.

6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

well the thing is that it's basically just diads (root and 10th) going up and the G string is open/doing the same thing the whole time.

it might help to learn your g major scale like that - G+b, A+c, B+d, etc. and then you can just kind of hear it (or alterations to the pattern he makes in it) once you are familiar with the scale like that.

e.g. - https://vocaroo.com/1frw9OVO5Uv5

then figure it out without the open G involved - if you internalize the sound of plain scale with diads you won’t need to really figure the melody and bass out separately, I think things will just fall into place. then practice the right hand strumming pattern alone on one chord. finally add them all together.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    LeftyBlues likes this.
  7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I think it depends on how you hear it. For a couple of decades, I 'heard' it as traditional fingerpicking, which would be fairly easy to transcribe. If you 'hear' it as clawhammer (which it is), I wouldn't even know how to transcribe it.

I suggest you transcribe it as traditional fingerpicking if you can hear it that way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.