Trans Amber over Swamp Ash body from Warmouth? A few Questions...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by redddog, Dec 17, 2019.

1. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

Hey Guys.

I've been gassing for a new build for years (72' Tele Custom) and I just don't have time to build it. I've decided to have Warmouth do the heavy lifting and order a finished body.

I'm looking for a bit darker than Vintage Tint I think but I don't want it to look too dark. I was hoping someone here might have an example of Trans Amber from those guys that I could see?

I've only ordered necks from those guys. Also wondering if their bodies are vintage correct. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they are off a bit and I need to make sure that the huge pickguard of the 72' Custom will fit. The other concern is that on the upper hip, the rout seems to be too small for the long throw switch. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this particular configuration from the good folks at Warmouth.

Thanks all.

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Have you talked to Warmoth? I recently read an interview with Ken Warmoth and it sounds like many of their bodies are custom finished - it would make sense that you could work with them to get the exact color you want. Ash (usually) requires pore filling, that can change the color too.

And remember a very important thing about lacquers and amber finishes - they change over the years. If you are trying to duplicate a particular vintage guitar it might be that it was a different color when it was new.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

Anyone suggest another place that I should consider?

Looks like the whole thing would get done for around $450-ish for the finished body with ferruls, bridge, pickguard, knob and neckplate.

Seems pretty good.

fenderchamp likes this.
  4. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

I guess Warmouth it is....

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I like the color "honey". It's like a darker version of the amber to my eyes. Oh yes! With swamp ash you have to spend the time filling all those grain and pours. Once that is done(the hardest part)the amber goes on very easy. Light coats though. If you are having Warmoth do it, you are subject to the colors that they offer. However, I have ordered a few and they do a great job.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Frankly 195 bucks is a heck of a price for a custom transparent finish. Warmoth has a color chart on their web page so you will know fairly closely the color, however that can be affected a lot by the particular piece of wood. Warmoth stuff is top quality but I can't tell you how vintage correct it will be.

Post pictures when you put it together.

fenderchamp likes this.
  7. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

For sure! Thanks guys!!

8. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.