Training for setting up a stringed insturment, Colorado

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Hey_you, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I would like training on setting up electric guitar for my own usage. I saw Colorado School of Lutherie, but $$$ .Somewhere other schooling available in central Colorado? I am in Pueblo.

2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

Dan Erlewine’s book with the associated DVD will get you where you want to go. Only need about $100 for the tools to get it done right right (That’s assuming the nut and frets need work).

Hey_you likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I second Erlewine's book, my dog eared copy sits on my workbench. I think you will spend a lot more that a hundred bucks - a good set of nut files will set you back that much. Unlike lots of guitar work, setups are fairly benign because you are not doing anything invasive. I wrote a little thread for this forum on how I do it (and I would be happy to send my spread sheet to you). The important things about my approach is that (1) I measure everything before I do anything, (2) I know how each part of the procedure affects others, and (3) I work towards targets that I know will make a playable guitar.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/basic-setup.952636/

Taking a class to learn just setup seems kind of excessive. One thing that I have done while setting up guitars for someone is let them into my shop, talk them thru it and explain what I'm doing and why. Maybe there is someone like me living close to you

Hey_you likes this.
  4. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I have always worked on my "belongings". Just don't want to make an expensive learning experiance.I'd rather learn form someone elses mistake.

5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

OK! Ordered the book from B&N.Should see it end of week.Will figure out tools after reading book,TY all.

6. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Hmm, you're pretty far south. In Denver I'd say check with either Victor Guitars or Colfax Guitar Shop. I was recently talking to someone who had heard about another local luthier class for $300 plus the materials, I didn't catch the name though.

Hey_you likes this.
  7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Got my manual yesterday. Boy! Weighs a ton! Gotta be good.

Steve Holt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.