1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tragic proof that you can have too many guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Esprit, Sep 14, 2014.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The Daily Mail never allow the truth to spoil a good story.

2. euro

euro Tele-Holic

My condolances. It' really a bleak day when someone has to turn their home into a store because of a landlord raising the store rent so high, they cannot make it!

3. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

I'm sorry to hear this. And even I, who lives on the other side of the planet, know about the Daily Fail.

By the way, are you able to share the Knopfler story? I'd really love to hear it. Apologies if I sound like a nosey parker.

4. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

Labeled a hoarder by the people that offered to "help" clean out his apartment. Hmmm...

Condolences to the family and friends of this poor man, may he rock in peace.

5. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

He wasn't too well in the last couple of years of his life and according to some of the neighbours it seems he had a habit of keeping warm by using an indoor barbecue to save heating costs, which he'd been warned about but unfortunately didn't take the warning.

Cause of fire still not officially established, but I'd be prepared to take a guess!

The Knopfler story was really only funny the way he told it as he did the accent very well! It's a "you had to be there" story, but the - unfunny - bare bones are that Dire Straits were touring after just releasing Sultans and Knopfler came in to buy some strings. When he found out the shop didn't have the ones he wanted he went on a diatribe about how crap the shop was in a "don't you know who am" sort of way!

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm not going to get into the side issues. Suffice to say that it was a sad, tragic event. Rest In Peace, Mr. Crane.

7. Esprit

Esprit TDPRI Member

Hey Sir Humphrey it's interesting that you have such good things to say about him; that's what really struck me about the article. Apartment blocks so often have a reputation for being places where people don't know their neighbours, but it seems he was well liked by his. It's a sad story but thanks for sharing your memories and straightening out the facts.

8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

This is one of the worst things I've read about somebody I don't know short of beheading. I'm very sorry.

9. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

sir humphrey, I thought of you ,when I first read the article.( because of the Bristol connection)Sorry to hear the sad news.good luck my friend

10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It's extremely difficult to respond to all this knocking of the Daily Mail without straying into forbidden territory. Suffice it merely to say that other newspapers are just as open to criticism by those who disagree with their general point of view. What happened to poor old Rob was indeed tragic and seemingly avoidable, but the Mail's (or anyone else's) reporters could only go by information they managed to elicit from neighbours and officials. That the deceased had been running a business from his residence apparently escaped their notice, and what difference would it make anyway? What sir humphrey tells us from personal knowledge supports the hypothesis that the unfortunate fellow may unwittingly and inadvertently have been the author of his own demise. In essence, that's all the paper said.

11. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

He'd probably be pleased to know he was being talked about on here - a real guitar nut. He had some crazy stuff, including a great collection of Les Pauls and a The Strat which was the heaviest guitar I've ever played. They must have made those things out of concrete.

Doesn't compare to a guy's life but it's quite sad also to think of all that historic gear that's been destroyed. I imagine the 52 RI Tele I traded with him for a Les Paul fairly recently was in there too.

According to the fire service today it was a kitchen fire.

12. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

So saddening to read about this but allow me to say I would let his business fade away in the hoarder angle. The reason is this. If the insurance company can claim he was operating a full time business there they may try not to pay off if all he had was renters insurance.

13. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

The poor bloke died, he's not worried about the insurance.

14. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

No but his family may need that money to bury him. RIP.

15. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

While I won't speculate about his family circumstances, he may not have had any insurance anyway. If you're doing well, you don't tend to live in semi-squalor in a council flat.

Sometimes it ain't just about the money. Too many vulnerable people tend to fall through the gaps. Looks like Humph's poor friend was one of them.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Terribly sorry to hear of your friend's death, Sir Humphrey.

What an awful way to go.

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Very sorry to hear about Mr Crane.

Thanks for the personal insight too Sir Humphry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.