1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tragic Accident, Where to Go Next?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tslantz, Mar 4, 2021.

1. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

Like any normal person I have a large collection of pickups currently not in use. I won't specify the amount the collection is worth, but "quite a lot" is where I value it. Especially some that are custom/I won't find again. Again like any normal person, I hide them all over my apartment well spaced so that they don't sit too close and cause changes to the magnets to take place. Anywhere from in a cabinet behind a plate to in a shoe that never gets worn.

We recently moved. My wife searched out and found every pickup, put them in a bag together and said to me "I did you a favor and I gathered up all of those guitar things in a bag". They were sitting in a pile in a bag for around 2-3 hours. I haven't tested any yet. There's a lot to test.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do next? Am I worrying too much? Thanks in advance.

2. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Buy guitars to put them in!

Yes, I think you're worrying too much.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I'm no expert, but I'd worry more about everything in one bag resulting in damage to exposed wires than anything to do with magnets going screwy.

I just re-read your post. 2-3 hours? If that were something to worry about, nobody would be able to play vintage instruments where pickups have been living within 6 inches of each other for decades.

4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

" pile in a bag for around 2-3 hours."
    --- yea, don't sweat a few hours. If it were a few months / years / decades, maybe. But hours.... no.

radiocaster and Jakedog like this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I’d only be worried if they weren’t labeled. :eek:

6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

First things first. Its best to involve professionals when the stakes are this high. Find the most expensive divorce attorney in your area and retain them.

Just kidding. I'm guilty of stashing gear all around the house too. While I don't hide my gear purchases from my partner, I find it goes easier on me if she does not see a huge stack of similar items. So between the attic, second floor, main floor and basement I have various things stashed away. It sometimes feels like Christmas morning when I stumble upon something that I had forgotten about.

I have no real experience about pickups to add to the discussion.

davidchagrin, drewg and Stubee like this.
  7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If pickup magnets grow weaker, does that affect the DC resistance?

Or is there some other way that one could determine if a magnet had gone bad?

(Thinking about pickups I have in boxes; I keep them 'slightly apart'.)

8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I've kept pickups together in a box for years and never noticed any changes. I don't think alnico or ceramic can affect each other. They use i believe it's neodynium or "rare earth" magnets to charge/degauss them. But far as i know they won't charge/degauss each other.

Mr_Martin and DougM like this.
  9. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

Oh man I have a neodynium bass pickup that she didn't find. Whew. I might have just dropped over dead if I found that thing in the bag. I might get rid of it. Seems dangerous to even have it around.

10. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If that damages them, I think they'd already be ruined at the factory. Just by watching few videos how pickups are made, handled and potted in batches.

Pcs264 likes this.
  11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I know I'm a redneck when I read the first line and immediately assume you are talking about Fords and Chevys. After I read the part about "keep them all over the apartment" it still took me an extra 10 or 15 seconds to realize what you meant.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Non event.

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in agreement with @fender4life. I keep a lot of sets of Strat pickups in close proximity to one another in my desk drawers, and I've found no discernable change in sound quality on any of them.

SAguitar likes this.
  14. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

Lol, this is the most insane post I’ve seen here in a long time and I really admire your dedication to your pickup collection. I hope they come through this ordeal unscathed

Mad Kiwi, TIM5150, MilwMark and 3 others like this.
  15. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

My next step would be to seek psychological help.

Old Plank, SAguitar, Mad Kiwi and 6 others like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

The physics behind removing the magnetic field from your pickups would kill you and/or destroy your home. But the wires? I hope they’re ok.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been using ceramic bar magnets to make stupid noises on guitars for over a decade and haven’t noticed any appreciable loss in output or adverse effects on tone.

Even if you’re using a strong magnet, I think degaussing is going to happen when the end of the magnet comes into contact with the reverse polarity. If your stuff is thrown in a bag, they’re going to snap together with the polarity aligned.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Nothing happened.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I have a drawer full of pickups, all in there together, never had any problems using any of them. Maybe I've been lucky.

zippofan and DougM like this.
  20. Pcs264

Pcs264 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Aren't pickups routinely stacked up in close proximity, separated only by light packaging, at the manufacturer (probably for not too long), the distributor (perhaps for longer), and the retailer (likely for longer still)?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.