Traditional looking Noiseless Telecaster Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sfehlandt, Jul 23, 2019.

1. sfehlandt

sfehlandt NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Chile!
    I am new here and I would like some advice for traditional looking tele pickups. I've read a lot of topics here in the forum but none comparing directly the options I am considering, which are:

- Mojotone Broadcaster set
    - Kinmann Broadcaster set
    - Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L202TN (for the chrome cover) and L290TL
    - Dimarzio area T set

The guitar in question is a 2014 Mex Std Tele with stock pickups (ceramic?). I really like how snappy they are, specially compared to 91 Am Std Strat with Dimarzio area 67 (neck and middle) and Injector Bridge. Now that I have the tele I find the tones of my strat rounder, with less of that spanky sound you get when you dig in the strings. For that reason I want to try something other than the areas for the tele (in fact I am even considering changing the strat pickups later), but I am still open to give them a try depending on your feedback...

Currently I am leaning more towards the Mojotones, both for sounds and price (Kinmanns are more expensive). Hopefully, someone here has compared the options I listed (or some of them), and can give me some input.

Cheers,
    Sebastian

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan of the Dimarzio Area T set.

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you like the sound of the pickups that are in it, why change them out? If you shield the guitar well with copper tape it will be plenty quiet.
    Of the ones you listed I have only used the Area Ts and I liked them a lot.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    I like the Kinmans.

Golem likes this.
  5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I’ve tried DiMarzio Area pickups for Tele, as well as a couple of other noiseless pickups. And, honestly, I find that the Fender Noiseless pickups beat them all. Especially gen 3 and 4. But, of course, it’s a personal preference thing. Can’t go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

6. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The Wildes are a great choice, but they're purposefully different sounding than traditional Fender pickups. The neck doesn't have the metal cover affecting the tone but also has the hum-canceling coil take away the edge of the tone. The L290TL is more versatile and sensitive to your playing, and uses steel poles rather than the standard Alnico poles like a traditional Fender. Both pickups are as clear as possible for their basic design (at the given inductance -- a higher inductance bridge will always have reduction of the higher ranges). If you like the sound of your instrument and want to have the amp put it on display, with more obvious Fender-leaning flavor on the neck and more power in the lows on the bridge, absolutely check out the Wildes. If that's not what you're looking for, you might prefer another option you listed.

7. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

If price is no object, Kinmans. I haven't tried anything else on your list although I've heard great things about Wilde pickups (Bill Lawrence).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.