Trading a Baja for an Am Std

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stephanar, Feb 26, 2020.

1. stephanar

stephanar TDPRI Member

Hello guys
    I’m in a bit of a dilemma here.
    I have a Baja tele that’s been my main player for 3-4 years. I have a love hate relationship with her. Sounds amazing, but sometimes I wish the neck was a little thinner. Hand hurts specially when doing thumb over the neck stuff. At the same time I find it very inspiring, I like to play it (most of the time).
    Then have this guy who wants to buy it. Adding some money I can buy a Am Std (or some other model, but I can’t go for an Am Vintage or Original atm).
    I can’t try them since I live in a very small town.
    As tone matters, you think it will make a difference? I will aim at one that came with broadcaster / twisted tele set.
    My Baja is modded with a traditional 3 way tele wiring, so that’s not an issue.
    Neck will be much thinner. I don’t have issues playing smaller necks. Think the best one I’ve had was from a Fernandes 78’ strat.
    General thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

You said you will aim at one with the twisted tele set already in it. I would aim for the one you think the neck will be most comfortable. Pickups can easily be swapped later.

wrvond and LunarSlingShot like this.
  3. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Buy a different neck for it?

4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

this is a pretty good idea. You could then sell the Baja neck to recoup some funds. Those necks are fairly sought after I've seen.

Bruxist, Teleterr and old soul like this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, just buy a different neck would be easiest. Spring for stainless steel frets and you never have to do a fret job.
    Sell the neck or keep it in a closet for someday when you want to sell the whole guitar so you can restore it to original spec.
    Who knows, if you look around on Reverb you might find someone who would love to trade you straight across-- one fatter neck
    for one thinner neck.

If you don't like the neck, you have to do something. You don't necessarily have to "upgrade" to Am Std
    or anything else. You might like the neck on a different MIM model. Electronics and bridge changes are easy.

There's a third option if there's a luthier you like. You can have them custom sand down the neck to your specs,
    assuming you don't need too much taken off. You can have them refinish the newly shaped neck, or you can do it yourself.
    I did it with Tru Oil. The Tru Oil is clearer than the finish on the headstock, but I think it looks kind of cool being sort of
    two-tone. I think the neck reshaping cost me around $100. You can't make a thin neck get fatter, but you can put
    a too fat neck on a diet
    . In my case it was a big boat neck. I liked the full thickness down in the first five frets, but
    it felt way too fat as I went up the neck. My luthier did a great job of tapering it a bit so it just felt more natural, getting
    a bit thinner as I went up to the higher frets.

Only do this if the guitar is a keeper. Altering it like this would likely
    reduce its resale value since so many people want Bajas specifically for the fatter neck. The Partscaster Tele I did this
    on will be worth what a Partscaster is no matter what, and it's definitely a keeper-- best Tele I ever had-- so it was
    an easy decision for me.

RichCuellarPDX and RoyBGood like this.
  6. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

If you want a US-built Tele for less money than a Professional (Standard), try a Performer (the old American Special with different pickups). I sold one because I found the neck too thin, much preferring that of my Baja which I felt right at home with.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    That Cal Webway likes this.
  7. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I'd go for the neck thinning option, as you say the Baja sounds amazing. Its replacement might not.

Or buy a thinner Fender USA neck. Sell the Baja neck if you need top fund this, otherwise, I'd keep it, so if you ever wanted to sell your current guitar, you could revert it to stock.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
    Your hand hurts, lose the Baja ASAP.

VWAmTele likes this.
  9. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Yep. Move the Baja, and get an American Standard if that is what you want. Both the Baja and American Standard are great guitars, and I would just go with what you like better long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VWAmTele likes this.
  10. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

This, or buy a Mexican neck - the post-2011-ish standard (might now be called something different) Mexican Tele has a nice slim neck, with satin finish, if you can find one. I rate the Baja higher than the low-end American made Tele's, so I'd try to keep the bits you do like. The frets on the Special and Performer are narrow tall... that was a deal-breaker for me, so I'd be careful to consider that too.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Fantastic guitars. I bought one in December.

12. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

What about the 60s modified Vintera? it should be everything you like now, plus a thinned neck.

13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Warmouth necks in the gallery are $199 Bajas sell for $275+.

14. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I would, but that’s only because I don’t like chunky necks. I had a Baja, loved everything about it except the neck. Sold it and bought an American Deluxe Tele and couldn’t be happier. I love the compound radius neck!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.