1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tradin' Up ^

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Randypttt, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Has anyone here tried to trade in a guitar for an instrument they had to order from a music store?
    If so, was it an equitable (is it ever?) trade or did they really try to gouge you?
    Were any of the stores uninterested in such a deal and did they give a good reason why?

I'm very interested in acquiring a MIM Esquire but of course most stores don't or wont carry such an esoteric instrument but they would order me one. I have something to trade that's fairly valuable but somewhat esoteric as well.

I did look at Craigs List as a possibility but came up with zip within 200 miles.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks in advance.

http://www.myspace.com/proazza

2. Barfly

Barfly Tele-Meister

My experience with music store trades is you will never get as much as from a private buyer.If it appears your are you better check the going rate of the item.Cash is always worth more then a trade

3. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

When you're trading up for something such as an MIM Esquire, there probably won't be much room for negotiation with your trade. This only as an example, but if your existing guitar is worth, say, $400, you could expect to get about $200 in a trade, possibly a little more. You would need to weigh the convenience of the trade against what you might be able to get selling the guitar outright.

4. JaySwear

JaySwear Tele-Holic

music stores will definitely short you a bit (or a lot depending on where you go) on how much you'll get. i've done it a few times over craigslist because either the guitar won't sell on craigslist or it's just so much easier to walk in and walk back out with money or store credit. even setting what i think are realistic price quotes in my head they usually still offer me quite a bit less. but thats just the way of the music store i guess

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I've come to the realization that my stuff is nowhere near as valuable to someone else as it is to me. Ive pretty much stopped trading. I'd rather buy outright and then sell my stuff myself. If I sell it.

I don't fault a retailer for knowing the market. In fact, I'd rather shop at a place that knows the market. I feel like I get the best deal there.

Just know that, as with any other retailer, a music store will only give you about half of what they think they can get out of your equipment. They have to pay the bills and pay their people, and unless they move tons of stuff, they can't make it on $50 per item.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.