Trade my The Twin.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Prefix, May 12, 2015.

1. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

My Fender The Twin is just way too much for me. I have received 2 offers that I am considering and would like some thoughts. ...
    Amp 1 is an H&K 5 watt head with a Vox 110 speaker box/cab.

Amp 2 is a 6 month old Fender Vaporizer......

Pedals....I use a Vox Tone lab SE

Cheers,

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd guess that your amp is worth $400-$600. Don't trade under it's worth.

3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

They better be ponying up some cash. I would never do a straight trade.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

"Too much for me"....too heavy??? too many watts? Too many options?
    The first one is understandable if one cannot handle the weight.
    The second one??? That amp can yield 15, 25 or 100 watts.....with one or two speakers.
    The 3rd one....A calm approach can make those options seem simple, ime.

Neither one of those trade offers would interest me, and I am not the biggest fan of the 'The Twin'.....but I have heard many amps that can't compare to it.

5. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

-Weight...heavy for sure, but not a deal breaker.
    -Too loud for home use, even with tubes pulled....haven't tried hotplate yet, but wasn't looking to spend $$

-I currently use a deluxe 85 at our jam space, it takes pedals very well.

I need something for home.
    My other issue is that, locally, these are going from $400 - $600 so the value is subjective. Technically, I value it higher.....but the market is the the market.

at the end of the day, i consider that I paid $400 for this "The Twin"

Yours truly, confused.....

6. onewhiteduck

onewhiteduck Tele-Meister

I'd hold out longer, I'd say those are downgrades for sure, I've jumped on trades too quickly and regretted it. You'll get offers like that all day until someone finally comes forward with something really good. I'd wait for someone to offer a Princeton or similar maybe!

7. Wally

5 watts and 12 watts---the Vaporizer---won't be much quieter than the 15 mode in that The Twin...through one speaker. To cut the volume in half from that 15 watt mode one would have to have a 1.5 watt amp...through the same speaker. (;^)

Good luck on the search.

8. onewhiteduck

onewhiteduck Tele-Meister

That's very true. Personally, I usually get better results using big master volume amps turned down at home. I find that many small amps need to be cranked up to sound good, and are too loud on the dial by the time they sound right. I primarily play a 50w Marshall JMP 2x12 combo, and it's more pleasing and full sounding at bedroom volumes than both a Tweed Champ and Vox AC4...the Vox especially needs to be turned up loud to fill out.

9. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

ok, pulling (2) tubes and disconnecting (1) speaker, set to low output; what ohms do i set it to? Should I then bias the amp? Fortunately this amp has external, or exposed, bias terminal (i think)

10. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Like the once-scorned silverface Fenders, the value of your The Twin will only go higher, so maybe get a 5 watt head and use it at a cabinet at the house, since the amp will probably gain value faster than 500 dollars sitting in the bank.

As much as I like my Vaporizer, I'd expect to have to avoid getting punched in the face if I had the gall to suggest trading it even for a The Twin.

A good distortion pedal can make a huge amp tame at low
    volumes.. I like the Way Huge Fat Sandwitch for example..

11. Wally

Prefix, if you disconnect one speaker when you pull two tubes, you leave the impedance setting as it was. That is, if those speakers are in parallel at 4 ohms with the impedance selector on 4 ohms for a 4 x 6L6 set-up and you want to pull two tubes; leave the impedance selector on 4 ohms. Disconnecting one speaker will show the OT an 8 ohm load, and that will 'match' with what the OT is seeing on the primary side....those two 6L6's.

12. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

Cheers, trying it Friday.

thanks all!

13. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

Does it matter which speaker I disconnect?

14. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Actually...yes. Speakers will sound ever-so-slightly different. This is why you see markings on 2 or 412/410 cabs indicating which speaker to mic, and where...

Start with one, then compare it to the other...use the one that sounds 'better' wired up. If you really can't tell a difference, then no, it doesn't matter, but most of the time, there will be ever so slight difference that can really stand out over a period of time or in a mix/bandstand context

15. Wally

Prefix, I took a look at the schematic for that amp. IT shows two 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load. I would suggest checking your amp to see how the speakers are wired. IF the speakers are wired in series for a 16 ohm load, then the amp's impedance selector should show 16.
    IF by chance the speakers are wired in parallel, then the amp should be set to 4 ohms.
    In either case, when you disconnect one speaker, you will have an 8 ohm load, and you want the impedance selector on 4 ohms.

16. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

17. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Maybe you can saw your Twin in half and make both deals.

Neither deal is worth the price of a Twin.

18. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

:lol:

+ 1 for the morning chuckle factor!

19. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

If it was me, I'd probably be open to trading my "The Twin" for a 90's 1x12 Concert Amp from the professional tube series. Straight up.

I would think they're worth around the same?

20. twangr

twangr TDPRI Member

I AM a fan of "The Twin". Big red knob beasty that it is. It's easy to use at low volume and still get great tone.

If you're looking for breakup at low volumes you will need to change out the speakers if they're still the originals. Drop in a set of WGS G12c/s speakers. Breakup comes on quick at much lower volumes. Another benefit of these speakers is that Channel 2 (gain channel) sounds MUCH better. No pulling of tubes necessary and you can leave it at full power or switch to low power.

Another trick is to swap out your current power tubes for the Sovtek 6L6 WXT+ tubes. It's important that they are WXT+ because they also make a WXT. Bias them a little warm. BIG, rich, round tones.

All in all definitely different than a "standard" SF/BF Twin in that you have less "chime" but greater depth and balance across the spectrum. Changing tubes and speakers will get you ever so slightly more "raw" in tone, a tad more sensitivity and quicker breakup at lower volume. It's like a completely different personality for the old beast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.