Trade in my Blues jr for the Super champ 2x Cab and head?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stepvan, Oct 2, 2019.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

I use my BJIII in a loud 100 capacity club. I rarely have to go above 5 or 6 on the VOL and MASTER. Sounds glorious. ymmv...

stepvan and JayFreddy like this.
  2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Well there is now a plot twist in this, I am leaning towards the Bassbreaker 15 combo

3. stepvan

I broke it out this Past Saturday for some loud time when no one was home and I tell you this that reminded me why I chose this amp in the first place. thinking about keeping it and Buying the Bassbreaker 15 combo and A/Bing them for live situations.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  4. stepvan

on a side note I think that can be said about a air amount of modelers,

BeatlesAreMyJam and JeffBlue like this.
  5. stepvan

what do any of you use for a boost /drive pedal with the Blues jr

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  6. stepvan

What do you use for pedals boost? O.d.?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Have used Bad Monkey, EHX Soul Food, RAT, EHX LPB-1, Big Muff, OCD, Fulldrive 2, TS-9, TIMMY, etc, etc...

I am of the unpopular opinion that drive pedals sound pretty much the same and work w/ most amps when you step back and get outta the weeds. Especially when on stage. Which is NOT to say that you shouldn’t choose your pedals carefully.

Does that make any sense?

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Okay
    I think what works for me was just a lot of trial and error to find a sound that is good for the music that I like to play which is going to be either old school blues rock and roll not hard rock and let's say rockabilly and Country

It may have just been accidental many years ago but a boss Blues Driver is perfect for me
    It has just the right distorted sound that you can feather in to a good clean tone and is very adjustable with your guitar volume knob so I leave it ON all the time

I usually set all three controls at noon but truthfully I set the gain on the pedal wherever I want to hear the most Distortion when I turn the guitar all the way up the game setting of the pedal will determine that and it cleans up so well so it's just a perfect fit for me not for everybody
    It doesn't impose itself with mid-range like a tube screamer and it doesn't have a hard Distortion that you can't get rid of 1 even at low gain settings
    Sorry for voice activation on my way to a gig yay

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Not trying to cause unrest, but I really do not like the sound of EL84s and prefer octal output tubes for Fender amp sounds. Just saying.

10. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

The Junior is a far better amp. I had one of those Champs and could not get rid of it fast enough. Oust a good speaker and some JJ tubes with a 5751 in V1 and look out. That Junior will sing.

11. stepvan

Well was checking amps out this weekend and the winner may be a Bassbreaker 15w...close to pulling the trigger but have not yet

12. stepvan

tube of choice or the Blues jr would be what?

13. stepvan

That's the thing the Jr sounds great! considering getting a Bassbreaker 15w now keeping the Jr and a/b them, or run them stereo.

14. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I would probably like the Blues Jr. better if the amp utilized a 6V6, 6L6 or 5881 octal tube. That would be a typical Fender output tube and a true Fender tone.

15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Responses are all over the place, which tells me it really comes down to personal preference. The suggestion to get the SC and keep the Bjr sounds good to me. I used to have a Blues jr... never really cared for it. I sounded good cranked, but didn't make a great practice amp. I have a SCX2 combo now and I love it! I put an old Jensen P10T in it that I had laying around, and it really sounds big compared to the stock speaker. I like the digital reverb better than the Blues Jr. small tank reverb.

16. stepvan

I have my Blues jr listed on a couple sights for sale now since the start of the thread and come to find out know one will give you a reasonable offer. I would trade it as well for a peavey valveking combo or some other tube amp if there is any interest in that. I have not listed here yet maybe I should

17. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Strange. Blues Jr.'s are plentiful, but I thought they held their value reasonably well, especially compared to some of the stellar but lesser known amps out there.

stepvan likes this.
  18. LightningPhil

LightningPhil TDPRI Member

If in UK happy to swap my Super Champ X2 for a good condition Blues Junior.

it’s got a ragin cujan upgrade and an l-pad attenuator as well as some op-amp upgrades which lowered the noise floor a bit. Same tones as original, but with a bit more volume and bass as well as ability to attenuate for practice...

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tried them in a guitar shop. Not a fan of the amp but I like those cabs.

20. stepvan

Yeah I thought that too I have mine listed locally and I have a price of 4bills and the best offer I got was $250. I will just keep it at that price

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.