Trade in my Blues jr for the Super champ 2x Cab and head?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stepvan, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a feeling that the people who believe the X2 sounds anemic hasn't gone in with the software and tweaked the mids to taste and tweaked the effects to their liking.

archetype and guitarmikey like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My only gig experience with a Super Champ XD in a gig situation, is ( with first generation unit) borrowing my buddy's XD for a regular band gig- to compare it with my old BJ.
    I thought it sounded great in his home studio, jamming with friends, checking out the ' Voices '
    My experience with the XD ( and we are a one guitar R&R/blues band that does NOT play too loudly as we do Lounge gigs) is that it just got BURIED, in the mix, couldn't keep up- the ' Voices ' idea just flew out the window as they just don't matter if you can't hear them- and we don't mic our amps or drums, just vocals
    OTOH my Blondie BJ is going on 20 years- powerful/clean/dirty ( with OD) and great gigging amp for me.

stepvan likes this.
  3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark TDPRI Member

No, I'd feel bad about anything less than 100.
    I insist!

stepvan likes this.
  4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Ragin Cajun in the combo and C-Rex in the (Kustom Defender) 1x12 extension cab. Some grille cloth and a logo made for a pretty good match.
    [​IMG]

I'm keeping this one as well though because they really don't replace each other.
    [​IMG]

5. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah im kinda on the fence about it.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Keep the BJ. If you want a decent modeling amp find a used VOX Valvetronix like an AD30VT on Craigslist for $100 and keep it and the BJ. Those older Valvetronix amps sounded every bit as good as the Fender ones.

7. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Sell the Blues Jr and buy a Traynor YVC20WR.

It excels at 60s-70s rock, with a few grungy Sonic youth type 90s sounds in there.

2 channels.

The cleans on the clean channel can go from blackface-ish if you dump the mids knob to tweedy blues, to Vox-ish if you dump the bass and pin the mids and treble. And it'll get you into clean juicy power amp saturation with the volume knob, or a sweet marshall type crunch with the gain knob. Plus it has a bright switch on the clean channel, for that Fendery sparkle or that voxy chime, again depending on your gain, volume, and EQ knob settings.

The clean channel has its own gain knob (amount of preamp tube drive) and volume knob (amount of power tube drive).

Gain channel is somewhere between a tweed, a vox, and old cranked Marshall JTMs and gets into plexi-ish lightsaber grind territory depending on how you set the EQ knobs and the gain and volume knobs on that channel. Plus the gain channel has a boost switch for solos, or bumping you into Plexi pushed with a boost pedal type sounds.

The gain channel has its own gain knob (amount of preamp tube drive) and volume knob (amount of power tube drive).

So you can use the gain and volume knobs available on each channel, to separately control the amount of pre-amp and power amp drive independently for each channel.

Then you can use that in conjunction with the tone/EQ knobs to make a lot of different vintage, classic, and Indy type clean, break up, overdrive, crunch, and grind sounds.

Then you can use the two button foot switch that comes with the amp to switch between channels. Zero pop.

Also, both channels take pedals very, very well, as does the effects loop, but you'll probably need less of them because of the versatility of the amp sounds itself.

Hand made in Canada.
    Plywood cabinet.
    Celestion Greenback.
    Real long-spring Accutronics reverb.
    Class A.
    Loud enough to keep up with a drummer.
    Effects loop.
    DI out.
    Headphones out.
    Speaker defeat button for silent recording, zero stage volume and DI out, or just for rocking out on the headphones in the middle of the night.
    3 x 12ax7 / 2 x el84.
    Foot switch included.

And it's usually about a hundred bucks cheaper than the Blues Jr if you do a bit of chatting. Used but in really good condition, you can get them in the $300 to $400 dollar range.

Seriously.

Not affiliated with anything. Just a fan. And it sounds exactly like what you're describing that you want out of an amp, and gives you what you're not currently getting from your Blues Jr.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    stepvan likes this.
  8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Sounds like there is nothing wrong per se with the Blues Junior with that 60s-70s rock sound in mind; unless you're having issues with the brightness of the tweed BJr. I literally tried one yesterday beside a Tweed Pro Junior, and somehow the PJr made me covet it so much more because it somehow sounded fuller, fatter and thicker. The BJr sounded almost onerously bright, and turning down the treble control did not help, somehow making the amp seem dull as a result.

I could be a simple matter of replacing the speaker, because I really like the sound of the Blues Junior IV. Is that the version you have right now?

guitarmikey likes this.
  9. LightningPhil

LightningPhil TDPRI Member

My first tube amp was an x2. Regret not getting the blues junior.

The x2 now has a ragin cujan speaker, different op-amps, bigger ht caps and an l-pad attenuator. The modelling part is naff in my opinion. Just wind the clean wide open then attenuate. It’s been fun to mess with...

The whole front end of the x2 is solid state, so you can’t nicely overdrive it. The blues junior has a tube on the input which is much better to hit with a gain pedal.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. stepvan

Yeah I pulled the Blues Jr out this weekend and stretched its legs. Made me remember why I picked it in the first place

studio1087 likes this.
  11. stepvan

hahaha

12. stepvan

One has to wonder sometimes why that is that some people like a certain amp while others look down on them

13. stepvan

That is an option

14. stepvan

Now this sound like a viable answer to my situation, I have never Tried out a Traynor, thanks for going into such detail. will be having to try one out!

15. reckless toboggan

I'd recommend at least trying one out for sure. Very, very under rated amps. But try it when you have some real time to sit down and play around with the knobs.

Edit to add: VERY IMPORTANT! The stock tubes suck. Go get a Tungsol, a gold pin EHx, a Mullard cv4004, and a couple of matched JJ EL84s.

Although you can turn them on, set everything to 5 and get a good 60 or 70s rock sound, be aware that these amps are not the type where you just put the gain knob at 10 and then keep the volume knob at 2 and there's your sound, and that's your only sound.

You need to take some time to play around with both the volume knob and the gain knob (on each channel) to get that variety of sounds I was describing. Additionally, to get even more variety, you need to play around with both the volume and gain knobs in various spots AND mess with the tone knobs to dial in a sound.

These aren't set and forget amps that get you that one sound, like many of the small Orange amps, or the small Fender amps. These are all tube, gritty, dirty tone monsters.

But if you want a clean blackface sound, you're gonna have to use the clean channel, set volume knob to 7 or 8 gain knob to say 2 to 4, mids to 0 to 2, bass to 8 ish and treble to 6 or 7, and maybe use the bright switch of you have a very dark or muffled sounding guitar or pickups.

If you want that clean Vox sound on the clean channel put the volume to about 4 or 6, gain to 2 to 4, bass to 3 or 4, mids to 7 or 8, treble to 7 or 8, and maybe use the bright switch.

For Plexi lightsaber grind, use the gain channel, volume to 7or 8ish, gain to 5 to 7ish, bass to 6 ish, mids to 8 or 9 and treble to 4 to 6. For Gained Vox use more treble, less volume and very slightly more gain. For boosted plexy, use the gain channel and roll everything but the gain to between 6 and 8 and hit the boost button, and maybe roll off your guitars volume a bit to 7 or so (again depending on your guitar, humbuckers, single coils, fat p90s, or whatever).

Because all of this, of course, depends on guitar, humbuckers, single coils, fat single coils and all that other usual variability.

So be sure to use your guitar volume and tone knobs!

These amps, and these sounds are even more versatile of you use your guitar controls.

You want that Plexi sound but feel it's too bassy or a bit flubby? Roll back your guitar volume. Don't be shy. Try rolling it off half way, then slowly come back up.

You want that Voxy sound but it's too piercing? Roll back your tone knob half way and then start rolling it back up to where you like it.

On another tangent...and obviously you can do this on any amp, but it works especially well with an amp that is this versatile:

This is an old school method, but try setting your guitar volume at about 7 or 8 and your guitar tone at about 5 or 6. Then set up Your amp to sound amazing with you guitar controls at those backed off settings.

Now you have your core sound.

Roll further off the volume for your rythm tone, and roll the volume up full for your cutting lead tone.

I'm such a fan of these amps, and how they just go so under the radar is beyond me.

Robust, reliable, utilitarian, versatile, good components, relatively inexpensive, and made in Canada!

Again, all this depends on pickups and guitars too, so you have to play around to find these sounds with your own instrument(s) and your playing style, etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I've had both, really didn't care for either one stock. The BJ, because of the EL84 tubes and the small cabinet (compared to, say, a Deluxe Reverb) has a "boxy" sound to me, and the sound, while good, had too much mids, and the Fender chime and sparkle just wasn't there to my ears. My SCDX, on the other hand, has a credible Fender chime in its clean channel, as well as several interesting voices in the second channel. That being said, the SC's stock speaker farts out at higher bass and volume settings, so a speaker upgrade is necessary IMHO. The OP was asking about the SDX2 head/cab as opposed to the combo. The cab version allows myriad choices for speakers, but I have the combo, so 10 inch it was. I had a rebuilt JBL D110F laying around, so in it went. The results were pretty spectacular, turning the SCDX into a small gig-worthy grab'n'go alternative. Also, the chrome dome of the JBL, IMHO, really looks kewl. _561.JPG The enhancer cab really, well, enhances the bass from this little guy, making it sound huge.

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. reckless toboggan

So I was playing my yvc20wr again just now and I think I figured out how to describe its core tone.

I think it might be easier to understand the clean channel and the gain channel in terms of songs that have tones that you can get with this.

The clean channel is all the Fendery and Voxy goodness with pristine cleans, sparkling if you want them, through light to mid breakup, through light overdrive, right into low volume JTM/Plexi punchy crunch. Think the Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, think Beatles tones. Plus a whole host of other very good, recognizable clean and slightly overdriven blues sounds are in there too. Everyone absolutely loves and swoons over the clean channel, and some people only use that channel. It's a pretty easy channel to understand. So below, I'm gonna focus on the less understood, gain channel.

The gain channel has a different core tone than a Vox or a Marshall, but it can get very close to Vox or older Marshall, as above. It goes from nice bluesy grit, to full overdrive, through sweet, sweet crunch, without the boost button,...using the boost switch turns it into an amp almost on the verge of exploding, like a fuzz face pushing a saturated Plexi or JTM crunch type gain.

The gain channel with all the tone knobs at 7, the gain at 5 to 7, and the volume at 5 through 8 is AC/DC "Dirty Deeds" crunchy (the tone from the original record, the newer live stuff sounds much smoother, and not as gritty). You can get Neil Young's "Rockin in the Free World" tone. I feel like Ram Jam's "Black Betty" is in there, same with a bit more ragged toned versions of "Born to be Wild" and "Bad to the Bone". Deep Purple's "Highway Star" is in there. Thin Lizzy "The Boys Are Back in Town". ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man". You can get The Guess Who's "American Woman" tone (Lenny Kravitz "American Woman tone is definitely in there). With the gain maxed, the volume at about 4, and the boost switch on, you can get Eric Clapton's/Cream "Sunshine of your Love" tone. Dirty, very gritty, almost fuzzy... akin to Jimmi's fuzz face through a Plexi sound, like "Foxy Lady" type tone. When you drop the base to 4 and put the mid and treble at 8 or 9 you get a very Voxy type tone. Think the Beatles "Revolution" tone. Queen, but more rough and brash, not quite as smooth a distortion (although if you plugged Brian May and his guitar into this amp, he could probably get a hell of a lot closer to the smooth singing lead tone than I can). The Smashing Pumpkins "Rocket" is definitely in there (more of that ragged Queen tone).

Okay. I'm done. I'll stop now.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Go for it

19. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Go for it. It’d be a good way way to check out modeling. But I’d keep the BJ, an honest to goodness TUBE AMP which you will regret selling and ultimate replace. While u r at it, pick up one of the sweet-ass new tweed PRO JUNIORs!!

JayFreddy likes this.
  20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I own both. An SCX2 head and a BJ3. I also own a SCX2 combo.

The SCX2 is great. It's a "Swiss Army" style practice amp. Lots of different functions and it does most of them well. But it's mostly a practice amp. It sounds so good that it's tempting to try and gig with it... But then you'll need to start experimenting with speakers, etc.

The BJ3 is a little Blues amp... For little blues jams. It has similar power rating to the SCX2, but it sounds very different with the bigger stock speaker and EL84 power tubes.

The BJ3 sounds best to me turned up at least halfway, with a touch of spring reverb, and a tube screamer or something similar on front for leads.

With the low power rating, you could use a BJ3 as a low volume practice amp, but it's not ideal.

If you play in a small band situation often, keep the Blues Jr. If you practice at home and record often, the Super Champ will be more versatile.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.