Trade in my Blues jr for the Super champ 2x Cab and head?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stepvan, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

If you’re just looking for a “change” - do try a different speaker in your BJ. I didn’t like either of the stock speakers in either my BJ or SCX2 so I changed ‘em out and ended up building a cab for the original 12” (out of the BJ) and I use it with both the SCX2 and the BJ on occasion for different tone.

Surprisingly that 12” in the new cab sounds so much better with the BJ than it did when it was in the BJ - AND is a nice change when used with the SC combo too. Win-win-win. (Even though the new Eminence speakers in both amps are improvements over the original in-place stock speakers in both amps. Ahhh… variety. And you then have a choice when dragging gear out to play. (Take the cab or leave the cab.)

Five.png

ALSO… if you just want a change for just a little more money too… find yourself an SCXD (like this inexpensive one / see link). And keep the Blues Junior too.;)

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/d/olathe-fender-super-champ-xd/6983777557.html

stepvan likes this.
  2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This is what I was wondering about this amp it does seem to have the volume to play with a drummer, but I know my B jr can hold its own. I am now considering the 15w Bassbreaker as well, tried one out and that is a definite upgrade I believe, nice it has three gain stages

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. stepvan

Yeah thats crossed my mind,

4. NEED4TWEED

NEED4TWEED TDPRI Member

Having played a SCX2 for a couple weeks, I'd say no. The effects/modeling are not great, especially turned up, and it couldn't keep up with drums. Not a big fan of the BJ either, but of those two, it is superior. My vote in this category would be for a PJ.

Alter likes this.
  5. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

when I wanted a small amp, I tried out the SCX2, PRRI and Bjr, side by side. I bought the SCX2, it was by far the best sounding and most versatile. Granted it had the ragin cajun speaker. This, from a blackface addict. I sold it because it wasn't loud enough for a hard hitting drummer/bassist.

stepvan likes this.
  6. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12 cab, with speaker of choice.

YMMV

Alter and NEED4TWEED like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think they are different a bit.

You have to decide if you like the smoother 6V6 tone or the more jangly fizzy EL84 tone. Both can be good.

My Super Champ XD sounded good not in the band mix, but when pushed.... it had a minor "bacon crackle" on the note fade... right at the end of the note. I never did figure out if that was a problem or nature of the beast.

8. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

I have the SCX2 head and I play it with Ragin' Cajun in pine DIY cabinet, or a 12" Fender Special Design in an older Performer open back cab. If I compare it to the Pro Jr IV tweed I have, the second sounds bigger&full compared to SCX2. I prefer the huge sound from PJ.
    SCX2 is a great amp for living room, recording, rehearsals. Even if you go with bigger speaker (tried it with a 15" Eminence I had, yes bigger sounding but not enough). Not even tweaking the mids in software, does not improve the volume. I think it's not enough for gigging, especially with a louder drummer. Tried that and using second ch and an extra SD1 for OD, was not enough to keep it up to another guitar player in the same gig (indeed he had a Hughes&Kettner 40W).
    Also tried the new Blues Jr when I bought the PJ. The last was much closer to my heart...
    Go SCX2 if you need different sounds, or fx included, I mean no need for pedals. But clearly I wouldn't go with stock cab/speaker for SCX2...

Otherwise, go Pro Jr IV!

NEED4TWEED and Daytona.57 like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Bassbreaker has my interest too. Three gain stages sounds cool - one clean, one bluesy, one distorted. Is that the one with the switchable wattage? If I were to get one I'd want that.

guitarmikey likes this.
  10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

don't like the blues jr and never use my super champ ...as has been said I'd go princeton or deluxe reverb

JL_LI likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I plug mine into a Tremolux 2 x 10” stuffed with Webers.

JeffBlue likes this.
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark TDPRI Member

Anything but the Blues Jr. Its a terrible amp.
    I'll give you $100 for it. :)

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had one of those heads and I thought most of the modeling tones sounded anemic. I would stay with the Blues Junior.

I’m not a modeling amp guy. That’s just me.

stepvan likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My SuperChamp isn't a bedroom amp. It's a basement amp. To use it, I'd have to unbury it. I can't bring myself to throw it away but I don't want to put it on CL and sell it in a diner parking lot either.

15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Yes, Bassbreaker seems to be a real option!
    X2 sounds not so anemic after interfering a little it with mids (through software), but still not enough volume though.
    The BJ I did not like it either, when tested next to the PJ I bought instead...
    Bassbreaker has enough volume (tested from a friend of mine in gigs) and good sounds, but next to Marshall. And I also have a Marshall Studio 15, so, PJ for me & X2.

NEED4TWEED likes this.
  16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

R U loco en la cabeza, hombre? Heck no!

17. stepvan

No it has switchable speaker resistance. The only thing is the bright channel does not appear to be foot switch able but I never use my foot switch with the Blues jr anyways so...

18. stepvan

$50 its yours haha

19. stepvan

That's the thing is over the long term will I still like the amp. For a down grade in the sense of dollar value and maybe some quality will it be worth it to me.

20. stepvan

Considering a 15w Bassbreaker now as well, and gonna try to get a test drive tjis weekend on the new P.R. if one in stock at the local G.C.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.