Trade Blacktop for Melody Maker?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Pasta Player, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Pasta Player and FLHT like this.
  2. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

no. for a junior yes

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I can fix electronics and other issues, too, but detecting them can greatly assist in the haggle phase....

Pasta Player and FLHT like this.
  4. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

That's good point. I usually have all the details worked out before I meet someone, and I haven't considered that before. Discovering an undisclosed problem before the deal is done would definitely lower the value of it, and the price would have to be renegotiated to reflect that.

Pasta Player likes this.
  5. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Yes! Drive is a bit too much, but otherwise provided that it's a good player, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

No.

MM has a weak headstock.

My favorite Tele is a Blacktop converted to an Esquire-H with a 4-way switch. Black 'n Tort. Chunky neck on the Blacktops.

So no way.

Pasta Player and Tele-beeb like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Your guitar is worth about $50 to $100 more, and you have to drive at least 2.5 hours. I value my time at no less than $25 per hour. I'd value that drive at $100, myself.

I wouldn't even consider the trade. But I would consider just buying the Melody Maker if it is one of the white ones.

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

No, but I traded an SG Faded for my Blacktop. I don’t know how the value aspect worked out but I never dig the SG and I really like the Blacktop sooo....

Pasta Player likes this.
  9. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I wouldn't drive 200 miles for anything. 20 miles is about my limit. IMO those kind of deals can end up being disappointing.

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would simply because I had a Blacktop Tele and never bonded with it. OTOH, over the years I've owned a few of those MM's from the 2000's that came in the retro orange cardboard boxes. The ones with duel pups were only made for a short while. Not saying they are rare and/or collectible...but I did find a similar '07 duel pup vintage sunbust MM that I still have and like. I say go for it. I'd pass on the SD Hot Rail.

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I've driven farther for an authentic Cuban Sandwich!

rangercaster and Pasta Player like this.
  12. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

The MM D is a great flavor to have. It’s definitely it’s own beast. I’d make the trade if it were local or I was going to be 200 miles away anyway.

But I wouldn’t go to Austin for just about any deal and it’s lesss that a third of the distance away than you’re driving. To be fair I have considered it. But the is no way I’d be able to convince my wife or be able to skip out on about a half day of work for any guitar.

If I were single, college age and lived in a small town — I could see the appeal of a road trip.

BTW I have nothing against HH Teles. A Deluxe is my first love.

Pasta Player likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I would do the trade, but would mail the guitars

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

No, not for a MM, but maybe for a LP TV Model.

57fenderstrat and Pasta Player like this.
  15. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Really appreciate ALL of the responses. Thanks er’body.

The Blacktop is the only Tele here that I never really bonded with (I’ve tried and tried again… and again). But given the recent “pleasant surprise” performance of an inexpensive SG here ('57 Classic pups) thought I’d give the Melody Maker a shot. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a dyed-in-the-wool, devout Tele-evangelist… even shunning Strats all of my life (until this year).

Now an old retired Grump... the drive will still be a PITA (but there’s an air museum there that I’ve always intended to visit). AND it’s likely that I’ll eventually go with the P-90 pickup / router-mod-path later, IF the MM does come home with me. (Taking a portable amp along.)

Still, a Tele in hand is worth two Gibbys in the bush?
    Anyway, the recent SG is now ranked #2 (alongside the Roadhouse Strat). I know, sacrilege!

And there's a “sentimental family-aspect” to the MM / as it reminds me of a once highly-coveted LP Junior that my brother had. Its’ finished stripped and never redone, it always looked as if someone had drug it around the yard in the dirt. Fugly. I always wanted it but he lost it in a pawn shop before his passing many years ago.

So I drug my feet here yesterday and unintentionally stalled the decision - but now, will make that drive tomorrow.

Well, don’t we all need just-one-more guitar project?
    Maybe I’ll strip all of the finish off and just leave it that way.;)

Thanks again y’all.

PixMix likes this.
  16. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Have a safe drive! If you like Melody Makers and P90, 2011 is your year. They pop up every now and then for not much money. Amazing players with great sounding pickups, fairly large necks, and super resonant thin bodies. And a full-sized headstock!

[​IMG]

57fenderstrat likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's not the destination that matters ... It's the journey ... And the fuel cost ... And the food costs ... And lodging ... And your time maybe better spent elsewhere ... I prefer online orders... Either way ... Your rolling the dice ...

18. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

The air museum is the kicker! Go for it. I have both Teles and MMs; different sounds, different feeling, but each are good platforms. Sounds like a good road trip to me.

19. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Did you do trade?

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'd have no problem doing that deal. My 2008 two-pickup MM has been to every gig and jam I've played or organised, for the last eight or nine years. I have it set up for slide, with 52-12s. It weighs nothing, has a chunky 50s neck, mini Grovers and doesn't get babied- gets banged around in a gig bag. Pickups are Broadcastery- juicy but without the P90 bark.

Mine has been a Memory Maker- and I'm keeping it. Along with favourite Tele and my National, it's one of the three all-time best workhorse instruments to cross my path.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.