Trade Blacktop for Melody Maker?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Pasta Player, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Probably already know the way this is going to go here…:rolleyes:

Oh wise ones...

Would you trade a pristine (Ghost Silver) Blacktop Tele “even-up” across the board for a 2007 Gibson Melody Maker… with the two pickup config? I’ll be replacing the locking Fender tuners with stock Fender F-styles on the Blacktop and there’s an additional (possible) SD Hot Rail pup for the Melody Maker.

Lockers stay - Hot Rail included. Stock tuners - no Hot Rail.
    I think the SD Hot Rail should be included, even with the tuners changed back to stock.

*AND - Must drive 200 miles round trip tomorrow - to complete this deal.

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't drive 200 miles for a deal like that. But then again - I like Fender guitars.

Pasta Player, Dan R and Fretting out like this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've driven a 200 mile round trip for really good sushi.

5. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

joking aside. The drive is discouraging. the trade may be decent. I would have to play them side by side to make up my mind.

Pasta Player and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

2007s are that "prima vera" stuff? I forget. I don't think a 2007 MM is actually mahogany like some other years are.

20 miles might stop me from checking it out. And I don't even like those Blacktops very much.

Pasta Player likes this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

anyway you look at it, it's on the order of a $500 deal, or so. Plus drive time. How much do you think you will like this Melody Maker - my understanding is that the 2007's had a single coil pickup(s), but not P-90's - the financial aspect of the trade seems reasonable, more or less, but the mechanics are challenging.

no risk it, no biscuit.

200 miles of what kind of driving? It's about 200 miles to drive from the Woodlands (north of Houston) down to Galveston Island (south of Houston) - but all the way through Houston. that ain't no fun. I'd consider that for a free Melody Maker, but for a trade? 200 miles of cornfields is another matter altogether.

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

well that surely says something about you, and about the place where you live!

Pasta Player likes this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I've traded gear for items of (theoretically) less value but the deal was as I saw it at the time; I'm not one for exact price swaps. Seize the opportunity is my philosophy. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Pasta Player likes this.
  10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Just a point of reference: I have a MM D twin P90s. 1977. Mahogany. I wouldn't trade it for 2 Blacktops.

11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Money wise it’s a close match. No problem. But they are two very different guitars. Are you sure that’s what you want? The melody maker is a Gibson, made in USA, and quite interesting, but in the same time it is a very basic guitar: two single coils, open tuners, very thin, dull and fragile (and almost open pore) nitro finish. If you know what you want, it’s a fair trade.

Most people swap the MM pickups, but it’s not that easy: the strings height and width prevents to install many single coils. Individual pole pieces of strat pickups don’t line up perfectly with the strings. Seymour Duncan Pickups cant’t get close enough to the strings. You are stuck with Dimarzio Rails (or Wilde L45). Anything else (p90s, HBs) means routing and a custom pickguard.

I bought one because I wanted to do a refinish. The Original nitro does not look anything like a vintage nitro finish, but the good point is that it is easy to strip or sand. That’s a big win.

Pasta Player likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The MM pups have a great vibe that's all their own. Thicker than a Strat. Thinner than a P90. They do great Neil Young.

I love them. I turned a homebrew relic botchup into a bumblebee burst nitro. A friend loves it so much it's in her care now.

01c006c5-ee26-49b8-bd1f-6605cf9111f3.jpg

I also have a Setzer Hotrod Gretsch, I don't know I'd swap that for the MM. But that's a MIJ 97 with Filtertrons I swapped magnets for A2 and A4.

Here's the one I currently have. Debating whether to move it on unmolested as it's really clean or customise blueburst and P-Rails. Great pickups those. Much versatility. IMG_20191113_012125.jpg

Pasta Player likes this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I hope the other person is also driving 200 miles round trip in order to meet you halfway. If not, I would reconsider....

Also, given that the prices are close, what matters is how this will improve your guitar collection. For example, if you have
    several Teles, the one you are trading isn't your #1, and you really want a MM, then it might make sense.

I don't know what gas mileage your vehicle gets, but putting the cost of your time aside you should still calculate the cost
    of gas and factor that into your math if you really want to be as rational as possible about it. Not sure what your exact location is,
    but current price of regular unleaded in Illinois as well as the national average is around $2.60 a gallon. If your vehicle gets lets say
    20 mpg you are looking at 10 gallons or $26. Not too bad, I guess.

Not sure where this trade is happening and what might be there or enroute, but if you could use the trip to fulfill some other
    opportunity than that might make it less of a bust if you don't like the guitar. Maybe there's a cool museum or restaurant or
    whatever that you wanted to do anyway. That would also help justify the time spent making the trip.

I can see two big incentives for doing this trade. 1) if you need to sell a guitar in order to buy a MM, this takes care of the selling
    part; 2) you actually get to try the MM out before you buy it. Not sure on the meeting place but recommend you have some way of
    plugging it in and trying it out, making sure you like how it sounds.

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes

Pasta Player likes this.
  15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

No, and I have no particular experience or love for the Blacktop. The 200 mile trip for something you might not connect with is my deal-breaker. I also think prices on MMs are a little inflated, more than I value them at least.

Dan R and Pasta Player like this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the local sushi sucks!

Pasta Player likes this.
  17. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I'm inclined to agree with Electric Warrior on everything here. Plus, I'd need some gas money from the seller. Time, gas, and mileage are worth something.

Pasta Player likes this.
  18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 2007 MM D that I bought new in sunburst. I think Musician's Friend sold them if I remember. It's a mahogany neck and body, although not a one piece body like the early ones. The pickups are like half a humbucker ( the slug side) although they are single coils with one full length magnet, not 6 like a strat. I played it for a few years in this garage band I was in. It sounds like an even trade, although the 2 pickup mm's are rarer these days than the reissue single pickup ones also sold in 2007.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gas money ... or sushi.

Pasta Player likes this.
  20. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

I wouldn't, simply because I live in a big city and Melody Makers not hard to find. There's a couple on Craigslist right now for $500. A 200 mile trip is equal to half a day's pay to me, and on top of that, gas is $3.80 a gallon here, so I factor that in my decision. If it was something I rarely see on the used market, then I'd consider it.

Also, I'd have no problem meeting somebody half way to buy a guitar, even if I couldn't plug it in. I can play it unplugged for a few minutes and decide if I want to make the trade or not. Pots, wiring, and pickups are not a big deal to me, I change them out half the time anyway. If you need to make sure the electrics all work, you can buy battery powered headphone amp for about $25.

Pasta Player likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.