1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tracking Multiple Amps vs Multiple Cabs

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Augustin187, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

If one is going to make the effort to mix up two speakers I can see the benefit in having two amps going. But two cans being run by the same amp?

I get that the speakers would sound different....

But is there any benefit to recording multiple cabs from the same amp?

thinking strictly recording not blowing peoples heads off 50 feet away ;)

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Mixing speakers works well when they compliment one another.

radiocaster and studio like this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The sound is different, adding "space."

radiocaster likes this.
  4. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Different approaches will get you different results.
    1 amp, 1 speaker, 1 mic all the way through to multiple amps through different cabs, with multiple mics and multiple performances of the same part on different guitars panned all over the sound stage.
    All have their pros and cons, and all will give you a different sound.

Which approach you take is going to be determined by the result that works best in the context of the song you are recording.

If you don't know which is going to work best, try a bunch and see.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

May I ask why ? Is this a retail session ? Or just messing around at home because "we can" ?

Many years back , I don't recall which session, Eric Johnson spent "days" mic'ing and listening to multiple speakers to find the one he wanted to track with. So you are not alone, in fact, you are in good company! :)

6. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

Thanks all for the great responses. I’m loving this forum!

it’s for real recordings that will be released and all that.

I’m fairly new to electric guitar so doing a lot of exploration.

I’m getting great results using multiple amps. Mic’ing then separately and mic’ing the room. What I don’t have is any extension cabs. I guess it’s a spectrum of different. But less different than using separate amps + the ability to shape a room sound without having to use a separate amps.

Loving guitar. But I’m happy having combos that I ad a speaker jack to so I can still use them as “cabs” and use my different “heads” on different speakers. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. And that’s just an orange rocker and a fender Princeton.

mostly I want to be talked out of researching and buying cabs for recording alone ;)

7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I would like to ask a relevant question here. How would you go about daisy-chaining two amps together? better yet how would you run them in parallel without an ABY box?

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Wouldn't recording DI and applying an amp/cab sim, or re-amping give the max choices you want? This could be in addition to simulaneiusly recording a first track with amp+speaker

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Phase problems sometimes arise with multi-speaker systems. If you have one mic on each cabinet, then you'll not need to be concerned about phase. But watch out if you try to record 2 or more speakers placed in different distances from one (probably omni). The distance of 2 or more speakers from the mic can often result in some phase effects. Worth looking into an acoustics book or something. Too tired to diagram the speakers and mic distances.

erratick and matman14 like this.
  10. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

I generally find phase problems are overrated :confused:, and certainly not a reason to be overly concerned about using more than one mic, or source.
    Well, wih the exception of someone bumping a mic in a multi mic setup and accidently changing the phase relationship of everything and altering a sound you like in the monitors to one you don't. Or trying to punch in something after you tore down the session and then tried to duplicate it.

But moving mics around until you like what you hear is fine, a lauded part of recording history, and can even be fun.
    Phase doesn't have to align. It's just another way to get your sound. Heck, even a single mic in a lively room with lots of reflections bouncing around is going to have phase issues.

After all, every hardware and most software EQs are basically "phase problems".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

I put these phase switching switches on my cabs. What I’ve done in the past is just record a bit. Flip one of them. Keep recording. And then listen back and see which one is tastier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV52Z9R/?tag=tdpri-20

—————————————

I’m not really that good at guitar and usually one guitar is all that goes in a tune. It’s nice to have a room sound with some interest. Tracking in mid side with a couple amps going at once gives some depth. My style is Amps pretty hot and played very soft. No pick. But chunky rhythm stuff. Loose. It’s not for solo’s or anything precise. I just learned the major scale on the guitar after a little career in music and audio... noob on the axe but very interested in sound in general.

absolutely loving guitar.

thanks for the responses. I figure recording multiple amps gives you more control over what each speaker is doing. Vs recording multiple cabs you just get the setting from the one head.

that could be what you want if a more unified sound is desired but with some space.... but I’m not being that detailed. Nor do I have some especially good space to record. So multiple speakers for me it is!

12. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

I’m not always looking for the most options. What I like in a lot of studio stuff is to commit to sounds - before they hit the computer. That way there is less time editing and ruining and mixing it dead. It can be fresher for me if I just think. Well that’s what I captured so... that’s what it is.... Aka not rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I do have a radial splitter that I can use the tuner output to go straight to the computer and track the Dry guitar. Use that less encumbered signal to do things like be a sidechain key or something else. Lots of options.

I’ve done something like a while ago where I used the dry guitar into a vocoder plugin where the carrier signal was some white noise. And used the guitar impulse to trigger or shape that.... some the. Processed that so It does sound like a sleep aid machine being swatted at. Well maybe it still does.
    But that makes me think I should always be tracking my dry guitar as well. But options can kill. I heard someone once say “we want to make choices not options”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.