Tracking against lead sheets - technology to keep from turning pages?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Chud, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I mean, I’m used to turning pages as much as the next musician, but thought I’d see if anyone has figured out any workarounds on desktop or iOS that automates page turns when tracking.

2. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Ik multimedia have a specific app, I believe it's free?
    Can't remember what it's called.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

OnSong can do it.

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

It does seem like an under served area.

On the odd occasion I've had musicians in that use sheets or notation I've seen a blend of digital and paper. One guy even had the music on a timed slide show based on the click.

My wife's production company had the LA Philharmonic in at Fox studios, in Century City, a few weeks back, to record the score for a movie. I went along with her to see how they go about recording a 106 piece orchestra. Watching those gals and guys, how far to read ahead and when to make the page turn was as much a part of practice as playing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    fretWalkr, Telekarster and klasaine like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I know there are foot pedal accessories for this application, but I guess you're looking for something more automatic.

6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Look for a tablet based way of doing this. You can set some to autoscroll, or use a USB or Bluetooth footswitch to turn the page.

I've found decent scores at MusicNotes.com (transposable, too). You can download pdf files or use their app. Their app supports page turn footswitches.
    https://help.musicnotes.com/hc/en-us/articles/205202895-Hands-Free-Page-Turn-Support

Several other apps are out there.... just googling a bit:
    https://www.codamusictech.com/blogs/news/top-5-favorite-paperless-sheet-music-apps-for-ios

This is an old problem. My sister who took many years of piano lessons, proposed a page turning device for an 'invention ' project when she was in 7th grade back in the 1970s. :lol:

7. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow man. Now that's cool right there. I'd love to check out something like that! My wife is a concert trained pianist and composer, so she'd be all over something like this! Neat man!

matman14 likes this.
  8. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Yeah, when it comes right down to it, what we were really there for was to fangurl over the Maestro and the movie director :p. We're huge LA Phil fans and go to a lot of their Hollywood bowl shows.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks all. It didn't even occur to me to think of bluetooth/wireless switches. The need was the result of a tracking session on a song I wrote several years ago but never properly recorded, and the realization that I needed to go back to charts to remember how to play it. Lol.

I had some Amazon gift cards I cashed in for the IK Blue Turn just now. Will give it a run this weekend and see how well it works.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.59.20 PM.png

There's a bunch though. A few really pricy ones, a few really cheap ones, and then the IK and a Donner model sit kind of in the middle. The Donner has more features (I think), but is a lot bigger and wouldn't arrive until mid next week so I went with the IK that will arrive tomorrow in time for some weekend tracking.

I wonder if I really need a sheet music app to turn pages with, or if Acrobat on my iPad will respond to the page turn buttons? I'm using my own scanned lead sheets, don't have the need for a fancy sheet music app really.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.