Trace Elliot Velocette?

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
I have an opportunity to get a Velocette in trade. Anyone have any love for these? It’s between this and a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44, another amp I know nothing about, haha!

KC

Friend of Leo's
I have the Gibson Goldtone GA-15, which is the same amp. 1x10 configuration, two knobs, no tricks. I love this amp. Basically an AC-15 in a compact, portable package. Have gigged this thing a fair amount, whenever load-in or stage space was going to be a problem. I have a Greenback 10 in mine, just to goose the low end a bit. Velocette had some problems with exploding transformers & tube sockets early on -- but they haven't made them in 10-15 years so if it's working now, I expect you'll be all right. Great amp.

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
I have the Gibson Goldtone GA-15, which is the same amp. 1x10 configuration, two knobs, no tricks. I love this amp. Basically an AC-15 in a compact, portable package. Have gigged this thing a fair amount, whenever load-in or stage space was going to be a problem. I have a Greenback 10 in mine, just to goose the low end a bit. Velocette had some problems with exploding transformers & tube sockets early on -- but they haven't made them in 10-15 years so if it's working now, I expect you'll be all right. Great amp.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think its worth $500 in a trade?

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I have an opportunity to get a Velocette in trade. Anyone have any love for these? It’s between this and a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44, another amp I know nothing about, haha!
Take it! That’s one of the very few amps I’d kill to have back. I found one for $250 and should have never sold it. They sound amazing and on top of that look super cool.

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I understand some early versions (like mine) had issues with the OT. Once replaced under warranty (early 90's I believe), it's been a little screamer ever since. I've sure been happy with mine. Here's some bad photos....

V1.jpg

V2.jpg

Hard to tell, but it's kind of a cool British green. It's a favorite of mine!

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
He had the amp looked over by a reputable amp guy here in town who gave it a clean bill of health. Im looking forward to hearing it. I really wanted a low-watt vintage-ish small amp and the TE Velocette seems to fit the bill well. Ive been reading that people really like to put Celestion Vintage 10s in these amps?

KC

Friend of Leo's
My GA-15 came with a Vintage 10, which sounded great. Then the amp went for a swim -- playing a blues cruise on Flathead Lake, keyboard player went off the end of the dock at the end of the night with my amp in her hand. After a thorough drying out, everything survived but the speaker. This is when I threw the Greenback 10 in there, which did give the amp some nice low-end warmth -- but not night and day compared to the V10. Good luck!

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I’ve also had the Gibson GA-15, twice actually. I’ve heard they tend to not be very reliable. I didn’t run into major issues, but it ate tubes like nothing else I’ve had, nothing else came close to how quickly I went through tubes with that amp.

Hit it with a boost though, and darned if that wasn’t one of the best tones I’ve gotten.

Seems like a decent deal. As long as you’re not expecting to not have to do any work on it for decades, go for it.

KC

Friend of Leo's
it ate tubes like nothing else I’ve had
I haven't had a huge problem with this, except when I leave it on in the practice room for a week. Too easy to do with no light or anything on the front to remind you that then amp is on. I've taken to bringing the power cord with me in my gig bag, just to make sure the I don't do this.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Couple hundred tops.
living in the past, I think. there's exactly one of these on reverb for $600 and it's broken. it's a desirable little amp and reliability issues should have been put to rest by now -- they haven't made any for a while. with the plague premium I think it's ballpark.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
living in the past, I think. there's exactly one of these on reverb for $600 and it's broken. it's a desirable little amp and reliability issues should have been put to rest by now -- they haven't made any for a while. with the plague premium I think it's ballpark.
What people ask for on Reverb and what they get are two different things. $600 and broken? Dreamin'

This is a case where rare does not equal sought after. It's a nice little amp but an Orange Tiny Terror combo secondhand would be a better buy. Or a Vox AC10 brand new.

I worked on a similar era Trace AC30 clone with four EL84s. That had the heater circuit as part of the PCB and tube sockets straight on the board. One trace cracked and the board was going brown around them. It was single sided and flexed like a mofo. I bridged the crack and suggested turning the amp over.

Last edited: