Trace Elliot anyone ... ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by P-Nutz, Sep 15, 2019.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Picking up a TE Speed Twin C100 next weekend in a trade ... near mint, green with small-block logo ...

E7B34618-21FB-4164-AE32-A5D8E9641B7E.jpeg
    I KNOW they’re heavy and can have tranny issues, etc. (I have its cousin, a Gibson Goldtone GA-30RVS) ...

What I wanna know, “bad” things aside, how do they play ... and feel ... ?

Jess Askin here ...

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Only tube amp I have played is the 1x10 Vellocette, had all the usual problems, I don't remember anything special about it when it was working, nothing to justify the money they bring now..

I used a later Tramp at a open jam a few times, decent SS amp, but most of the ones I encounter now seem to have annoying little issues, ditto the bass combos. You wont be getting much "feel" (with the exception of a lighter feeling wallet) if it's allways in the shop. You might want to check on suppport/parts.. IIRC there was a place in the mid west ( British -American?) that was the go to but that has been 10+ years. Unless you are getting it for next to nothing I would exercise caution, lest you end up with a large green Paper weight.. or speaker cab.

jrblue likes this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I agree w/ CK Dexter Haven. Amps with reliability issues are a 10-ft-pole category, for me. I'm sure these sound as good as people say when they're working, but to me that does not justify at all choosing to use one. There are so many good amps out there, why open the door to problems? It's not as though the number of good amp techs is increasing. Good luck with yours. You'll need it -- but you might get it!

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth, I've had a Gibson GA-15 -- equivalent to the Velocette, even says Trace Elliot on the PC board -- and I have run the snot out of this thing for 10-15 years and never had a problem. Left it on for at least 3 days at a time, might have been more like a week, no pilot light and the switch is on the back. Gigs / rehearsals / shows, even survived a swim in Flathead Lake. Sounds like an AC-15 (because it IS an AC-15, basically) but weighs little more than half of one. Love this amp. Your mileage may vary.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

The GA-15 is one of the few new ( unboxed that day) amps that I have seen to emit copious amounts of smoke. I would put QC on most TE products as “ variable”

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

FWIW I have one of these, and it's great. Built like a tank.

[​IMG]

7. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I think you have to pick your vintage with TE amps, they've had a checkered history with buy-outs and management changes.

8. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I am a big Trace fan, though in my case it's mostly been limited to Trace Acoustic products.

I've got an older Concert TA-100R and a TA-60CR. Once had the 4x5" speaker configuration model, the TA-100R and a 2X5" speaker model TA-35R, but those were sold a long while back.

Have four older Trace pedals as well: TAG-1 (Graphic Equalizer), TAP-1 (acoustic preamp) and TAC-1 (acoustic compressor) and Quad Chorus pedal.

Once had a Velocette but it didn't do much for me and had a bad cigarette smell (which I mostly removed before selling).

I haven't found anything better for acoustic guitar amps than my old Trace Acoustics.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My mileage varies because I’ve played thru 60’s Vox AC15’s and owned a modern one and also owned two Velocettes w/10’s and the black one with a 12 and - the cleans were similar but not the break up at all.

99% of the problems of Velocette’s are the output tranny’s from 1 production run.

The one thing I didn’t do with my Velocettes is experiment with a lot of pedals thru them. I gigged the green 1x10’s quite a bit and found they were def an amp you want to have cranked always and use your guitar volume to control it.

borducks likes this.
  10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a Trace Elliott Bonneville C50 4X10 that I love. Never had any issues and sounds fantastic. I changed the bottom 2 Celestion speakers to a pair of Weber California Alnicos that push the tone to the next level. I like mixing different magnet types of speakers to combine the best of both worlds.

11. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So far, so good on this! Nice cleans, tasty crunch. Does NOT like any reverb/ delay in the input!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.