Townes

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I saw him open for Guy Clark in 1996. It was dark.
I did, too. It was also kinda depressing but as I’d never seen him before and knew of his problems, I was still glad to see him. Guy did say when he walked out after Guy “was that dark enough for ya?”

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Supposedly everyone thought “Nothing” was Townes’ saddest song, then he came out with this this.

It’s also said that shortly after he married his first wife he would lock himself into a closet and write. The first song he wrote was “Waiting Around to Die”. Probably not what she was expecting her new husband to pen.

lathoto

Tele-Meister
I did, too. It was also kinda depressing but as I’d never seen him before and knew of his problems, I was still glad to see him. Guy did say when he walked out after Guy “was that dark enough for ya?”

At the Ark! ;)

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Whenever I think of Townes, it's Dead Flowers at the end of The Big Belowski. I keep it on my mix CD with a few Stones tunes.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
A friend remembers seeing him in new york in the 80s. He says the first time he was funny, engaging and sang and played really well. He joked and bantered with the audience. He saw him a year later, and the show as exactly the same--same songs, same jokes--but Van Zandt was hopelessly drunk and played and sang really badly.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
A tragic talent. One of the greats.m

This is great music.

I once watched a medley of his hit.;)

His version of "Dead Flowers"
is one those rare covers that's better than the original. Thank you to the Dude for introducing me to that one!:cool: