1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Toward a unified theory of Prog Rock

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jondanger, Apr 21, 2021.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

He probably would have said Prog Rock is humorless and pretentious and that it’s ridiculous to lump him in with bloated dinosaurs like ELP and Yes.

But also Zappa was kind of a ****, so . . .

2. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Psychologically Unstable Librarians, that’s a band name!

ale.istotle, Old Plank and JRapp like this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Inca Roads sure was!

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

man i can't believe no one's talkin rush

they were like, the only band that even mattered, when i was like, fifteen

Ok them and BÖC

Tele-beeb and Toadtele like this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

ya, Rush

band geeks loved them

let me guess, Torch, you played sax in band

fess up

to me, prog was ELP

6. blowtorch

I was mad at band because they didnt recognize guitar

we had a groovy dirty hippy holdover english teacher with ELP albums, at least Tarkus anyway, along with his moody blues and cat stevens

ndcaster likes this.
  7. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I never really agreed that the classical, or dungeons and dragons elements denoted Prog. At least, not automatically, as some people see Prog. I think musical complexity, instrumental complexity, and compositional variations...I don't know. I don't really agree that it is synonymous with 'Art Rock' as that could also mean primitive, and minimalist. I would consider bands like The Mars Volta, Tool, or King Crimson to be Prog.

Jerry_Mountains and loopfinding like this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

It's kind of elusive....

Aforementioned Zappa's Inca Roads is a prog as it gets. Same with Grateful Dead Terrapin Station. Both seem to come from different angles... but equally dense and goofy when you think about...Dense and goofy! Maybe that's it!

Seems like the "best" prog bands weren't interested in singles crafting LP side long tunes. That's when I struggled with the genre. Yes's "Tales From Topographic Oceans" was as far as I got....not even that far as I kept it only for the cover art work!

Could you make prog rock covers of Ramone's songs?

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dude! :lol::lol::lol:

10. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

tell that to King Crimson, Dream Theater, Pineapple Thief, Opeth, the somehow they're still playing Marillion or Steven Wilson. There's probably more prog now

as for not rocking , , , well

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If the music could benefit from the use of a quadraphonic sound system... It could be considered Prog. Rock.

That cuts it down a bit.

Old Plank and Toadtele like this.
  12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I get the whole 'labelling' frenzy that goes on these days, but when I was a spotty youth it wasn't quite so clear cut about who/which was what.

In my own experience, I do know that there was a certain snobbery about what music was 'allowed' to be played on the school common room stereo, back in 74/75 when I was still at school.

Mostly it was the likes of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Floyd, ELP, etc. and was played by the pretentious geeky gits clad in their afghan coats and loon pants. This was generically referred to then as 'progressive music' by it's aficionados.

Bands like Roxy Music, Bowie, etc. were considered 'pop bands' and were frowned upon by the geeky gits.
    Bands like The Who, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple were considered 'heavy rock' and were frowned upon by the geeky gits.

So you can imagine the seismic disturbances when a few of us called them out on their elitist playlisting shenanigans, and demanded bands like Dr Feelgood, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, the New York Dolls, Lou Reed, The Stooges, The Wailers, etc. be given turntable time too.

There was, to be fair, some common ground with some of the less-uptight geeky gits, so bands like Can and Gong were considered 'acceptable' when we wanted to play those.

No-one wanted the Eagles or the Dead though, as I recall.:p

And of course, then punk happened, - is it any wonder we were more than ready for it?

I did come to appreciate and like some Floyd, KC, etc. in later years, but those early encounters with the 'proto-prog snobs' left me scarred...

loopfinding and blowtorch like this.
  13. blowtorch

and, hey, all these years, and nothing's changed :)

aging_rocker likes this.
  14. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

So where would you fit The Mars Volta?

15. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I didn't know you guys were referring to me as a geeky git.

I bet it really blew your mind when I put on Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa "Sing Sing Sing" followed by "Whole Lotta Love". Musta been at different schools cuz I had the The Who, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple. I even snuck in the Stones "Midnight Rambler" into the mix. "Midnight Rambler" was banned but I could play Savoy Brown "Hellbound Train". Go figure.

Actually, I had to run everything by the Vice Principal. There was a lot of negotiating so I couldn't have the playlist I wanted. I had much more freedom once I started including the '40s jump swing stuff. The office ladies let their hair down when I'd play the old stuff. I had fun and I did figure you guys thought I was "out there" due to the jump swing but I was able to play more betterer music because of it.

aging_rocker likes this.
  16. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I don’t think art rock is appropriate because “art music” (reich or glass or Feldman or hell even stockhausen, you name it) at that time was already far away from the classical aesthetics that a lot of those bands were injecting into their stuff. If anything, krautrock was more in step with what was going on with art or “art music” at the time.

telemnemonics and aging_rocker like this.
  17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Man, you would have been a breath of fresh air at my school! ;)

Benny Goodman to Savoy Brown represents a breadth of musical taste completely unknown to the 'geeky gits' of my youth.

I totally agree with you regarding what was more in step, but I don't think we can use that term for it anymore...:confused:

Can, Harmonia, Neu!, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Faust - all great bands.

loopfinding likes this.
  18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Definitely prog.

I define prog rock as rock music that places emphasis or at least provides the opportunity to display instrumental virtuosity but also embraces non-conventional and extended songwriting structures.

19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

that seems general enough to be fair. under that definition, even something like don caballero (or other “math rock”) or a band like trans am (or other “post rock”) would fall under prog rock. And they pretty much are prog rock, people just didn’t want the stigma associated with that term (and also wouldn’t admit there was all that crimson in don cab, hahaha).

drmordo likes this.
  20. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

I did, briefly. Too many autocratic theater types. So instead I joined both the jazz band and the football team in very short order.

ndcaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.