Touring bands...what amps are they playing?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitarJonz, Apr 18, 2015.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

With our band playing 1-2 gigs a month, I don't have time to see a lot of other shows. But recently, we opened for a Nashville band, who is touring nationally, and noted that both guitarists were playing Fender Mustang modeling amps. They sounded great. It seems big time national amps with roadies always use bigger tube amps, but how about smaller touring bands, are they using more solid state/modelers?

2. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

3. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Tele-Meister

I don't know about touring bands, but when I bought mine from GC, I had 3 separate salesguys tell me independently that hey had bought Mustangs and were gigging with them exclusively.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't noticed any of the live bands I've seen using modelers. Usually 50-100watt combos or a head and 1x12 or 2x12 setup.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Not an expert , but I go to shows from time to time.....I see lots of rented backlines , very often RI amps , or a Marshall half stack and a DRRI for example , with only one amp miked.....I saw a well known artist a while ago with all- Orange amps..... one blew up in the first set.... mike was moved and show went on....

6. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

I think the answer is that they all use whatever they want/have/can afford/have on the stage at sound check....................

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

These days Little Walter 50 Watters with either 2 x 1 x 12" cabs or a 2x12 cab are becoming more noticed.

8. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I reckon you'll find a pretty huge range of possible answers but most of the bands I've seen - both in person and playing live on TV (when I'm guessing they use the same as on any other live show) or even Youtube clips, they still seem to be using the usual mixture of Fender combos, AC30s and Marshall stacks, depending on what style of music they are playing.

When I tour, we are often playing a mixture or larger gigs and small club gigs. On the latter, there are occasions where the guitars aren't going through the PA so I would never consider using anything as small as a Mustang. The smallest amp I'd be comfortable with if not being mic'd up would be at least a 50 watt 2x10 combo.

9. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Most....er....'entry level' bands (touring or not), use whatever amps they can get their hands on.

10. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

They're playing mostly black ones. Sometimes white and occasionally orange. The ones with orange amps tend to be loud bands. But most loud bands still use black amps.

11. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

the real gentleman's amps wear tweed...

:)

mitchfit

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Boutique marshals Friedman. Metropolis etc

13. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Most of the bands I see live play combo amps in the 25-50 watt range - AC30s, HRDs, and the like. Occasionally I see Marshall half-stacks. Very occasionally I see someone with a Twin Reverb, but unless you need a clean sound at an extreme volume that's almost overkill these days.

But to answer your question, I rarely if ever see anyone using a solid state amp, let alone a modeling amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.