1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tour De France????

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I would like Alaphilippe to win- but I think Roglic or Bernal will .....

2. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

I missed watching Stage One yesterday. I was watching the NY Mets then remembered that the race was going to start about now. I'll DVR every stage. I'm watching today's race and they showed Stage One. There were some pretty horrible crashes due to the slick streets.

They were showing the beach at Nice today. That's where I used to go a lot this time of year when I was stationed in Germany. Notice that they can't take a camera down close...:D

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It takes a lot of Gall to Peddal a joke like that around here.

G.Rotten likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

to be fair, these tour riders don't start until lunchtime and finish before dark... they ride daily races on a set course and aren't trying to do the most miles in a day... ;)

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Plus - there is Brie, wine, a warm bed, and a syringe full of something really special waiting for them at the end of the day !:)

6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I am a pretty avid cyclist. Lately, I’ve been on my mountain bike and riding the tandem bike with my wife. Need to get out on the road bike.

I love watching the Tour. Great scenery, historic views, great athletes, crazy fast speeds flat, uphill, and downhill.

Just amazing to watch and I also love to follow the latest technology in road bikes. A big fan.

84534B02-938D-4AA6-8A5D-7EA44934B5FC.jpeg

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. chet again

I try to ride my road bike every day when it gets warm. I'd love to ride on one of those mountain roads just once. Those downhill guys are real daredevils!

8. Mike Eskimo

Whoa gridlock - I remember bikes like the one on the right in your picture.

Those are all but impossible to ride in my state for the last 10 or 15 years. Unless you’re about 125 pounds and 5 foot eight. Roads are positively third world here.

as light weight as I can get away with is a gravel bike with 35s on it. The one in this picture has 40s!

you’re right about seeing the technology change thru watching the tour . I had forgotten about that aspect !

09F33D02-D77A-49F7-BDA3-B36EA1C7A217.jpeg

gridlock likes this.
  9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I moved next door to a pro bike shop in 1972 and have been following bike racing ever since.
    The shop (Daniel Boone Cycles, Houston) sponsored the Houston Wheelmen, the local racing club.
    I went to all the Texas races and usually watched races from either the wheel van or the official follow car. (I was friends with the chief state race officials.)
    Bike racing on TV is pale compared to being in the follow car and seeing the action live. Very exciting.
    Back then there was essentially no coverage of the Tour on TV. We got the European cycling mags and newspapers at Big City News in downtown Houston. Naturally we didn't go into the back room for the 'special racy mags...
    All the national riders would come to Texas in the winter (mostly Austin area) but some came to Houston. The area racers commonly would house the racers for free. Not much money in bike racing in the US back then.
    I never was a good sprinter until a cat 1 racer (Phil Samuel) took a winter job at the bike shop were I worked. We trained together every day and he coached me on sprinting.
    Never made it past cat 3, but Phil helped me tremendously.
    The Wheelmen brought a very young Greg LeMond to the early season races and he stayed next door with the Boones. I recall him as being shy and polite. And fast.
    Back to the Tour- stage 1 was crash crazy.
    Stage 2's finish was intense.

Markrrk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. trev333

I watched it live until just after the first cat1 climb... incredible roads/valley they rode up before the hills...

I'll watch the stage replay later today for the second half... :)

11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Roads are pretty decent in Florida and lots of dedicated trails. My Trek Madone weighs in pretty light at 16-18 lbs (I think), all USA made Carbon Fiber. I’m 6’ and 195 lbs and I’ve done a bunch of 50’s and an 80 mile ride on this bike and survived (one flat on the 80).

As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been out of riding with others on my road bike for about 4 years. I was kind of surprised to see disk brakes on the Tour bikes. Guess I’ve been away too long.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The people who do RAAM and other ultra endurance events have great stamina and ability to be sleep deprived. But their engines are pretty small compared to the hp a Tour rider can put out for 5 or 6 hours. It’s like comparing a small tugboat to a jet racing boat.

13. Mike Eskimo

^^^^ I get that. My only point is that the the tour riders only have to do that one thing for a set number of hours per day.

Granted - they’re doing it at an unbelievably high level. But - that’s their only job - and the training to get there of course .Everything else is taken care of.

my wife went to high school with Frankie Andreu and knows Betsy from Dearborn . The tales of extravagance were pretty crazy. I wonder if it’s still like that ?

The disc brake thing threw me too !

gridlock likes this.
  14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

All I can say is thank goodness someone recognized the pun. If you read a lot of these comments it's very disappointing on a comedic level.

String Tree and gridlock like this.
  15. chet again

Pretty exciting finish and he won.

They were talking about how "the Thing" was spiking in the area of Nice so I hope the riders stay safe.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  16. trev333

Is there any US teams/riders in the field?.. they don't get much of a mention during the race.

there aren't as many aussies as there used to be, either...

travel restrictions maybe?..

17. chet again

There are 3 US riders but none are positioned to win.

trev333 likes this.
  18. trev333

poor blokes had to start in heavy rain today.... tough way to start the day.. soaked....:rolleyes:

19. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

trev333 likes this.
  20. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I do the 100K rides, rode to the top of a mile high mountain once, can maintain 20mph for only a few flat miles; it's mind boggling to me what these riders can do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.