1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tour De France????

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Jul 24, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

So they're still showing the Tour De France on the big screen at work.

I've not really educated myself on the sport but it's been the same race for weeks now.

Seems like an Endless Cycle.

RDRR. I slay me!

edvard and String Tree like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It was a sport that evolved into something else. Think of it as endurance stock car racing. Who ever sneaks across the finish line without being caught cheating ... "wins".

Yup, IMO as a former cycling racer.

Oh, as with all pro sports these days, the most money spent usually wins.

stormsedge and P-Nutz like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It's a lot less the same as watching NASCAR, and I think some attraction comes from a lot of people better able to understand or be in awe of what it takes to do so much for so long.

We're not watching it this year but I was surprised when my wife was into it. She pointed out the scenery, the racers and the spectators were all more interesting to look at than some sports.

I'm fine with all the motivation it creates this time of year. My wife's killing it with time on a bike and some women I work with are really into it. Twice a week the biergarten over the hill fills up with 50 - 250 cyclists road and MTB. It's all good by me. A lot more happiness and pleasant sights than other times of the year.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

It's a great race this year! Still wide open! Usually last week is down to 1 or 2 riders but this year 4 or 5 possibilities with the yellow jersey Alaphillippe in trouble with a weak team headed to the Alps!

Great course choice with more mountain stages.

If you're a fan and ignoring this year's I suggest tune in for this last week! May be a sprint finish in Paris for Yellow!

TEX

rich815 likes this.
  5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I always knew winning it was a huge accomplishment, but had never once looked into what the race actually was.

In any case, myself & a coworker are always having pun battles & I thought I'd share today's favorite so far.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If it's US coverage it's really hard to follow, our coverage is typically very very bad. Our TV coverage they often don't know what is going on and will be showing the wrong camera, or they have bad analysis of the race, etc..

The coverage in Europe is a lot better.

I was in France at the beginning of the month and got to watch Stage 5 of the Tour in person. I'm a long time cyclist and have been following the Tour for the last 20 years or so. It's been interesting as it used to be really hard to find out what was going on in the US. Now you can pretty much catch what you need on Youtube and you can get minute by minute updates through various websites. The minute by minute updates can end up giving a much better picture of the race than the video.

Bike races are really exciting when you are a participant but are very hard to follow as a spectator. When you watch the Tour in person they go by very very quickly and if you didn't have a smart phone or radio or something it's really hard to tell what is happening the rest of the day.

It is not like going to watch a baseball game where you see the whole thing and spend most of the day watching. It's like a big party in each town it goes through, or if you camp out in the middle of nowhere in an interesting spot you basically throw your own party out there. When we went to watch we went to the city we were interested in seeing it in and had lunch and walked around and then walked over to the road where they would go by about 30-40 minutes before they arrived. Excitement builds as the race approaches and there are a lot of cars & motorcycles and such that come through ahead of the tour.

They don't sell food the same way a ball sports event does but they actually send trucks ahead of the race and sell souvenirs on the side of the road, just constantly having to watch to make sure they stay ahead of the race. I didn't know that till I went this year but it was a neat way to do things.

It is a very very strategic sport... the winner is an individual but it is a team effort, it's pretty much impossible to win without a well executed team strategy. The winner by tradition divides the prize among the team.

JL_LI and Texicaster like this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

They have live commercial free strat to finish feeds. NBC Sports Gold. French TV with english commentators. Since French are directing and working in concert with French commentators the English has no control over what's being shown and can get off track a little bit as the scene will shift or not focus on what they find interesting. Still super cool! I buy it most years. Great way to start the day with it in the back ground then full attention for last few kilometers.

$50 gets TdeF and ALL the tours and most one day classics. A deal for cycling fans!

Ever Wire likes this.
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Huh. I guess bike helmets send air & puns over cyclist's heads. It would seem there's still a fair amount of resistance to humor.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  9. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Remember the year some mountain biker jumped over the peloton?

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I agree this year has been a great race too... best one in years IMO.

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I guess spandex also sucks your will to laugh.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

2020 Tour has started... a bit slippery on the first day... :)

13. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Listen and enjoy.

14. trev333

there's a stretch along a bay next to a rail line.... a train is pacing the peleton for a few miles...right beside the riders..

must be weird looking over your shoulder to see a train beside you...:eek::D

tour 1.jpg

tour2.jpg

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It is six races in one. The biggest prize is the general classification winner- the rider with the lowest elapsed time over three weeks of racing. They measure your time from when you start until you cross the finish line, each day. Say on day 1 the fastest rider does it in 6 hours, and the next day he takes 5 hours. After two days his time is 11 hours.

Then there is the mountain jersey, polka dot. Riders earn points for high placings at the top of big climbs. Most points wins. Green or sprint jersey is for best sprinter in terms of total points earned at various marked sprint spots including each day (stage) finish. Then each day’s race is a huge prize if you can win the day, and there are prizes for best team, and best young rider (white jersey). Tons of strategy because you save about 10% or more energy when drafting so the leaders try to ride in the pack or be protected by their teammates, saving energy and waiting to counter attacks or launch their own, usually at the end of the stage. They go over the Alps and Pyrenees but still average about 25 moh over three weeks going around 120 miles each day, typically. It is perhaps the most difficult aerobic contest ever invented and its champions are unbelievably fit specimens.....for cycling, anyway.

tomkatf, Kevin Wolfe, koen and 2 others like this.
  16. trev333

the whole live stage is shown on free to air tv here, with a full stage replay the next day....

very scenic, as usual..:)

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We have the Tour Downunder in and around my city in January. Cycling is great up close but doesn't do much for me on the screen.

18. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

koen likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My pot beige was a double espresso with a few teaspoons of sugar. I’d keep that in a water bottle in my jersey pocket and drink it about five or six laps before the finish of a criterium. As it kicked in I would also mentally pump myself up for the courage required to jockey for the front of the pack in the sprint by singing heavy metal riffs in my head.

koen likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I should catch what’s left . Been a fan since Fignon, LeMond, and Hinault were factors.

Miles per day, though, with all the support staff ?

i’ll never look at that the same way after learning of the late great Mike Hall.

17 days to cross America.

Look up his miles per day*.

No sag wagons, no mechanics, no one tossing him bananas. Him - alone. (Well, a whole bunch of other badasses trying to keep up with him.)

All hail

98C84E8E-B21C-4D97-A6C2-4EEEBC39562E.jpeg

https://www.angieacrossamerica.com/...e-greatest-ultra-endurance-cyclist-ever-lived

* all right, if you’re too lazy to look it up, he was averaging 250 miles a day...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.