Tour de France 2022

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Read that a racer broke his neck after a collision with a spectator. SMH.

Cheers,
Geoff

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
I live in the Val d'Illiez, they'll be cycling through my town tomorrow.

I don't care too much for the sport, and a bunch of roads here are going to be closed for the race, which is a bit inconvenient...

I might still go watch, looks like they've set up a bunch of beer tents :).

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Fine weather for the start of the stage...

interesting that there's been cobbles and dirt sections this year...

I'm sure the roads in Switzerland will be better and a bit steeper..:)

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
Anybody watching?
Having covered a few Tours, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the "fans" that watch the race from the sides of the roads are a**holes.

"Cyclist Daniel Oss withdraws from Tour de France after breaking neck in high-speed crash with fan"

"Woman fined €1,200 for causing Tour de France pile-up"

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
May catch some of the mt. stages.

I like the crazed supportive fans lined up inches (centimeters ?? :) away on the s t e e p mt. stages, as the riders push their lactic acid levels to new thresholds!!

No pain no yellow jersey.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Damn, if at first you can't crack a guy, try, try again! The kid has been so consistently impenetrable since he emerged a couple years ago, it would have been hard to see today coming. Maybe he gets beat at the line or something, but he lost a LOT of time today. Le Alpe should be interesting tomorrow. Can he recover and start to take some time back? I don't know how well Vindegaard (sp?) time trials, but he must not be bad if he finished second last year. I'm guessing Tade has to get some serious time back in the next three mountain stages if he wants to win a third one in a row...

-Ray

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I remain a huge fan of the greatest American cyclist ever. Greg LeMond. I wish he got more credit for his amazing achievements.

There are a few European guys who were pretty good too. Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi and a few others.

Yep, I'm nostalgic. I also like the old steel bikes.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Yesterday was a fantastic, '70s-style stage. Today is Bastille Day....and the second successive monster climbing test, ending at the top of L'Alpe D'Huez.

MojoTrwall

Tele-Holic
Yesterday was a fantastic, '70s-style stage. Today is Bastille Day....and the second successive monster climbing test, ending at the top of L'Alpe D'Huez.

14 juillet as the french Republic day is not for 14th 1789, but 14th 1790, there's a lot of misconception regarding the day even in France.

Yes it was Indeed an Old school stage, a fabulous one.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For someone who has not paid attention at all this year,

Any teams left using rim brakes ?

Avg bike weight ? (PTP stages)

Who is currently in the yellow?

Any dominant teams ?

Thanks

sabuchan

TDPRI Member
Watching it live on a cable sport TV channel in Japan. Less than 5 km left. I want to see Chris Froome to win, but I would be very happy to see him finish strong.

MojoTrwall

Tele-Holic
For someone who has not paid attention at all this year,

Any teams left using rim brakes ?

Avg bike weight ? (PTP stages)

Who is currently in the yellow?

Any dominant teams ?

Thanks

Vingegaard After a strong Jumbo Visma work yesterday, which they're doing again today.

Pogacar lost it, don't think he'll wear it again.

Regarding teams, Jumbo Visma - Ineos - UAE.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
UCI rules say that the bikes have to weigh at least 6.8 kilos, mechanics have been known to tape weights to them to make them heavy enough

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I've just been watching the approximately 7 minute highlight summaries.

I think the Pog kind of blew it tactically by going too hard, too many times, not leaving enough in the tank. Conversely, the other racers outsmarted him and/or had stronger team support. He's just a kid...although I'm sure his director sportif was telling him what to do in his ear.

Someone mentioned doping. I believe Indurain was the beginning of the modern doping era, where blood doping actually gave a huge advantage. The prior use of amphetamines was not particularly effective. The LeMond era was the last where a clean racer had a chance because doping didn't do much, at least not for a stage race.

Blood doping was also big in the '84 Olympics cycling events, too. Many of the medals won by American riders were because of blood doping. They kept their medals because while it was unethical, at the time it was not explicitly prohibited.

It seems based on performance data that pro racers are still doping, but are very good at concealing it.

If you look at the Wiki for TdF winners, only Armstrong has been struck from the record books with no one else named the winner. Contador and Landis both had wins struck for doping, but in those cases 2nd place was given the win-- but likely was also doping. Contador still shows up with 2 wins, but who really believes he wasn't doping in those races as well? Pantani? Doping. Indurain-- EPO all the way. Etc., etc. Blood doping doesn't help the pure sprinters in the sprint, but testosterone does....

An alternative explanation for Pog losing time is that other riders' doping regimens are more optimal than his....or the timing of when they "kick in" is slightly different. Lance Armstrong himself said that once he realized all of his competitors were doping, and that you had to dope in order to win, he figured he would ensure that he was the very best doper of all.

1657819363968.png

An

Last edited:

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I hesitate to comment on today's racing, until you've all had the chance to watch highlights.

Watch the highlights. :cool: