1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Touch Screen Mixing Desk

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Splodgeness, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

I found this whilst I was browsing on another topic (DIY Auratone 5C clones)

[​IMG]

and it got me to thinking that it might be something to try...............

I was wondering if any of you all out there might have installed a touch screen fader/mixing console? If you have, how is it working for you?

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did this method to get control of a rack mount mixer out of a storage closet & into the same room as the speakers via iPad & a WiFi router, using the PreSonus RM32 mixer. I probably wouldn't repeat the installation in other rooms for the simple reason that it is a slow process to mix with it, not really suited for the live settings where I exist. IMO, a real mixer with faders is a whole lot more intuitive, and quicker to access functions than any of the apps used to control them.
    I probably would not hesitate to base a home studio on one of these systems. That being said, one can score an Allen & Heath Qu for about the same price, similar features, and no searching through layers of iPad/laptop/touchscreen app, making the process simpler.

3. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

I know that there was some buzz a couple of years ago when Slate Digital released the Raven touch screen control surface.

I've only ever seen one for real out in the wild, and that was at NAMM.
    Most studios I've worked in are not going to spend several thousand dollars for something that doesn't pass audio and doesn't really make workflow any more effective. (There seem to be a lot of used ones up for sale on Reverb though, from home studios).

And don't get me started on the Auratone Mix Cube bandwagon hype :eek:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Splodgeness likes this.
  4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Have an HP touchscreen PC all in one computer
    sitting in storage I used to run Sonar on.

It was a cool looking setup with the multi touch display etc
    but it wasn't the fastest gun in the West!

I now use a hybrid system of analog board into an interface
    into a computer and that speed works for me. The hand is
    quicker than the eye from this viewpoint.

Oh, and I love my Auratone to mix mono live stream!

Splodgeness likes this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I use DAW control and Logic Remote apps... faders/mixer, Transport control, wireless and portable...

CBE931A6-CBC4-4BB8-9039-2E6A8A3D4D6B.png 2D284E13-C1F0-49F7-9558-7ABFD64451B9.png 40BCF1F6-4ACF-420F-BB27-A193CFB52562.jpeg

Splodgeness and studio like this.
  6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Lemur and Dexter came out in 2008. They are now an app.

[​IMG]

I agree with @Old Deaf Roadie - mixing, say, 32 channels on one of these kind of things isn't intuitive, but maybe we're just stuck in an old-style workflow :oops:

I like the approach @studio mentions - analog board into computer. I still use an old Mackie 1640i and it works great !

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

My studio space such as it is is very cramped. I went (with some trepidation) to a Berhinger XR18 wireless (no knobs anywhere, only jacks). Mostly I use it with the Windows application, but I also tried it with the Android app and it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. That said, yes it does have a number of complicated screens. So whenever I get something set up correctly I save the preset file.

Splodgeness and studio like this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

We bought a Slate Raven as well and tried it here in my control room. As reported above it wasn't as fast or intuitive as a hardware interface. Lest you think we are infected with old-guy-itis, our main broadcast consoles are hybrid hardware/touchscreen Calrec Artemis systems. They have chosen to put all rotary and fader motions on hardware and many of the touch functions on the video screens that live on the up-stand.

[​IMG]
    This interface is fantastic - intuitive and fast.

Bob

9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Brings back memories of the Sony Oxford, but with more screen-estate !

[​IMG]

Splodgeness likes this.
  10. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

It’s hard to beat a tactile controller. Touch screens don’t work well for everyone but can reduce the cost of getting a system to market and encourages innovation. Probably not the eco friendliest way to go...

studio and Splodgeness like this.
  11. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input

I wanted to see (hear?) for myself whether mixing using this type of speaker holds any weight but am not prepared to shell out £300 - £500 on proprietory speakers to try it out. I've found a DIY design that will yeild a pair of cubes for around £70, so that's where I'm headed right now. :)

studio and matman14 like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Astronauts use touchscreens.
    “Building a brand new spacecraft means knowing when to innovate and when to stick to flight-proven methods, and for Crew Dragon, SpaceX decided to ditch the buttons and dials and go full touchscreen. The astronauts who will fly it later this month have had likewise to ditch years of training and muscle memory — but it’s not all bad, they say.”
    [​IMG]

Splodgeness likes this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

The first thing I thought when I saw that back at the launch was "VIBRATION." Sitting on top of a rocket exposes you to a lot of vibration. Touch screens require precise finger placement with no "indexing" available. "Indexing" is something we in the broadcasting field use extensively. Indexing is the process of setting down a "brace" finger next to a button in the time leading up to when you need to push it. You touch down and feel the button next to your indexing finger, allowing you to devote your attention to something else up to the second when you push the button. Without the ability to index you have to be watching your finger during each operation. With capsule vibration happening, exact finger placement becomes an issue as both your finger and your eyes are vibrating relative to the screen. Fun. All I can say is "BIG TARGETS!"

Bob

Splodgeness and matman14 like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I can see that but I doubt the astronauts are doing very much during launch other than buckling up tight. It has to be extremely automated.

Splodgeness and matman14 like this.
  15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I use my iPad for remote logic control, also for my little Behringer mixer when playing live. I like the processing possibilities available to me, but fader control is not quite as smooth as an actual 100mm fader.

jspartz and Splodgeness like this.
  16. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

The Mixcube thing made total sense in '70s-'80s. The mix engineer was hearing everything off 2 inch tape, on well-tuned mid-field monitors in the control room.
    The overwhelming majority of the audience would be hearing the mix summed to mono on AM radio through a transistor radio, through a horrible built-in speaker on a cheap turntable, or on the family stereo (70 quid from Dixons (Sears if you were in the US)) that had about a 90% chance of not being set up for accurate stereo listening, and a 50/50 chance that dad had connected one speaker's wires backwards and put that speaker out of phase with the other one.
    Unless you were prepared to print a mix, have vinyl cut, and take it to a radio station to broadcast in mono on AM, really the only way the mix engineer could get even a sense of how the mix would sound on a low bandwidth speaker was to put a low bandwidth speaker in the control room and do an occasional sanity check

Today, chances are you have the world's crappiest speaker system sitting right in your back pocket. You can render a mix plop it into a dropbox/google drive/whatever and in about 5 seconds, be listening to it on that horrible system (not just an approximation of that system), which is how the overwhelming majority of the audience listens today. You can also hear it on $8 earbuds, cast it to your TV, connect it to your car, your laptop, or any number of terrible speaker and listening setups effortlessly too. So the idea of spending $300 per speaker for high-quality, crappy sound is just bizarre.

If you truly want to experience a complete inability to mix the low end, and in no way to tell if the "air" in your mix is harsh and grating, put an 18dB per octave high pass filter at 100Hz and a similar low pass filter at about 12kHz on your master bus, and you will have effectively crippled yourself. No need to spend a penny :p

End rant.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Skully and Splodgeness like this.
  17. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

So not mixing a Grammy-winning album during launch then?

Hopefully, the Listen to KROQ and Self Destruct touch screen buttons are not too close together.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Splodgeness and burntfrijoles like this.
  18. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen pics of your recording setups.
    Wow, they are impressive. Nice gear.

So it puzzles me why you would choke
    on the proverbial gnat and diminish the
    efficacy of Auratone or similar cube type speakers?
    Is it just the price that bothers you?

The above post you wrote mentions a process where one can
    make a mix and then upload it then
    listen to it on their "device", seems like a lot of
    steps when you could just push a button on your
    console or mixer and obtain the desired results
    with a cube type speaker.

Every picture I've seen of great recording studios
    that you imply, "should know better" all have Auratones.

Maybe we need an Auratone with a touchscreen?
    I wouldn't buy it though!

(..... and I'm not gonna ask what you think of Dorrough Meters!)

Splodgeness likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

For someone who wasn't even around in the 70s, you have a VERY misguided idea of what we listened to then. Your post is the most rubbish I've seen in a long, long time

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

No jerry rigged repairs on those if a jolt cracks one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.