TOTD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, May 28, 2020.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And I thought it was only Mars that needed women.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

at least they wear underwear, Mr Commando !

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Air circulation is much better in my cargoes that way. It's hot here amigo, hot!

24 track likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aussie hoax

5. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, ..... hmmm. OK:

1) Throw away your smartphone with 7B nanoscale transistors fabricated on a tiny chip at consumer price points that can do everything from determining your location on the planet within meters to talking your through navigation in your car to making phone calls to browsing the news to tuning your guitar using .... drum roll ... science.

2) Disconnect from the internet itself that is based on Tb/s transmission using quantum-engineered lasers and devices and optical fiber with unbelievable purity and transparency developed using ... drum roll ... science.

3) Trash your truck that never needs a tune-up from purchase through death because of sensors and micro-processors based on ... drum roll ... science.

4) Go back to medicine without computerized x-ray tomography and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance imaging based on RF tracking of rotating nuclear spins sensitive to their biochemical environment using ... drum roll ... science.

Thanks for beating the new rhetorical drum dumping on "science". How many pages would be needed to convince you to go back under your rock?

... but that's just a light-hearted jest. I don't take any of this personally ... ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    notmyusualuserid, P Thought and ce24 like this.
  6. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

upside down earth.png

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Seems Quite a few of the anti science crowd plays guitars.:confused:

Dismalhead, 24 track and TeleTucson like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

It’s turtles all the way down.

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

That's it...my new band name.

Ladies & gentlemen...Rorschach Aardvark. Waaaahhh! :p

ce24, 24 track and Dismalhead like this.
  10. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I watched a TV programme last night about NASA, the Gemini spaceships & the tragic accident that killed the crew of Apollo 1.
    Inspiring, but heartbreaking at the same time.

You had to be made of the right stuff!

ce24 and 24 track like this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

12. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

This brings to mind my days in bike shops.
    I was an expert wheel builder and taught many people how to build wheels.
    Nearly everyone got confused on which way to turn the spoke nipple depending on the wheel's position. Is the spoke in question at the top or the bottom of the wheel?
    "Righty tighty, lefty loosie." Always the same, no matter if it is right side up or up side down.

Mark

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There is a difference between a scientist and a science writer. To a scientist everything is relative to the view point of the observer or the reference view point. The view point that sees the orbit of the planets being clockwise is happenstance, a geological accident. The bulk of the landmass on Earth is in the northern hemisphere. The greater likelihood is that the greater number of sentient beings will be found occupying the greater landmass. The people living there write the rules or define the reference view point. Had the greater landmass and the greater population been located in the southern hemisphere, that would have been the reference viewpoint. Could the reference view point have been the southern hemisphere on earth, despite the land mass differences? Possibly, except for another accident, an accident of evolution. It's not that the inhabitants of the northern hemisphere are more intelligent. They're not. The evolutionary accident is that the southern hemisphere has a dearth of animals that could be easily domesticated. They are plentiful in the northern hemisphere, as are plants that can be grown and harvested and fewer plants that could be grown as crops. These accidental advantages of the northern hemisphere allowed communities to condense so society could be organized on a scale allowing for specialized roles. Sometimes we think of that as civilization. Civilization is a necessary precondition for building a large community knowledge base and eventually for the rise of science. And that's from the view point of this observer.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I remember reading a much more intelligent analysis of maps than we managed in this discussion. It said the earliest maps showed the most sacred important things as the focus - holy cities as world centre/etc

No doubt once a compass could always be aligned with Polaris, that was the way to align them with North, as the most reliable direction... Then this became the norm like an alphabet

I bought my daughter a globe which had odd colours for land/sea, and if you popped it off its stand, turned it wrong way up, and stared at it like a Magic Art picture, the sea and the land would flip in perception, with islands looking like lakes, seas like continents. Hard to recognise a coastline in reverse

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.